Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pawn Shop find. Bath needed, final results

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 24, 2020 3:56PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hey guy's, thought I'd check out a new pawn shop.
Glad I did. First of all, the owner turned out to be someone I knew. He moved his shop to where I met him in the past. Secondly, he let me rummage through the only junk silver he had. All Kennedys. 90% and 40%. After going through all the 64's, finding nothing, he said all I have left is some 40%. He said, you don't want that do ya? Lol. I said, yeah, let me check em out. He had about 30 Kennedys. I picked one out. A SMS 66. And yes! A DDO, Cameo as well. The double profile, and the letters are doubled as well. "In God We Trust". Needs a acetone bath when I get him home. Lol A 4$ purchase.

After bath

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to the Variety Vista website http://varietyvista.com/ to properly attribute it. There are 37 different doubled die obverses known for the date.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2020 4:24PM

@joeykoins said:
    Yes, I do believe I have the 005, variety? Thanks ;)

Always a good idea to check the comments near the top of the page for each variety. For the DDO-005, it says, "Comments: BS. FS-101." When he says "BS", that means business strike - in other words, DDO-005 is found on business strike coins. From your photos, your coin looks like an SMS to me.

You might take a closer look at DDO-013, DDO-019 and DDO-020, which are SMS varieties that look similar to your coin. Neat find!

• Options
    edited October 24, 2020 4:41PM

@koynekwest said:
    I feel that the doubled profile part of this doubled die was due to a doubled working hub since so many different dies show this feature. Dies #13 and #19 are the strongest in the motto, with #19 being many times the rarer of the two.

I used to find some dies with regularity 25 years ago, before so many of the '66 SMS sets were picked thru.

Oh, so you're saying I might have #13 or #19? Yes, this is my second "Doubled Profile" variety I picked. :)
    Here is #13 die marker

Here's mine

Here are the rest of my close-up shots of my coin

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@IkesT said:
    You might take a closer look at DDO-013, DDO-019 and DDO-020, which are SMS varieties that look similar to your coin. Neat find!

Yeah, you're rightabout not being the 005, like I first thought, thanks. After further review, yes, I think It is the #13? The die marker shows the clear evidence. Also mentioned from Koynekwest. Thanks guy's! ;)

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@IkesT said:

Yeah, you're rightabout not being the 005, like I first thought, thanks. After further review, yes, I think It is the #13? The die marker shows the clear evidence. Also mentioned from Koynekwest. Thanks guy's! ;)

Nice - looks like you have a match with #13!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options

I think many of the "Business Strike" dies are the same dies that are listed as SMS dies with the only difference being in the finishes.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat find. Does look like a SMS.

----- kj
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very good hunting.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Nice find, by the way.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick @joeykoins . B)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you found a good one..... I do like your pictures... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe will be ok to ask in this thread - see so much advice in this forum to never clean coins, but an acetone bath is ok? is that process simply soaking the coin in a shallow bath of acetone and then pat drying? how is this different from 'cleaning a coin? I mean, the results speak for themselves - your find looks like a million bucks after the acetone - just trying to understand better - thx for helping a mid-life newbie 🙂

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

An acetone soak/rinse won't affect the surfaces of the coin, and in the the case of of PVC plasticizer residue, you really need to remove it or it will damage the coin. Just use good quality solvent, not nail polish remover and don't rub. Also, don't save used acetone for another day, the crud will stay in the solution and can get redeposited on another coin.

Finally, you need to remember that the surfaces under the organic junk may have different toning or hidden damage.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good job! I like threads like this one.

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    maybe will be ok to ask in this thread - see so much advice in this forum to never clean coins, but an acetone bath is ok? is that process simply soaking the coin in a shallow bath of acetone and then pat drying? how is this different from 'cleaning a coin? I mean, the results speak for themselves - your find looks like a million bucks after the acetone - just trying to understand better - thx for helping a mid-life newbie 🙂

Confession time! Acetone is a great harmless solution for removing debris and/or unwanted deposits on a coin. However, after I soaked in the acetone for a couple of hours, there still remained some film-like substance on the coin. So, not advised, I diluted 3 parts distilled water to one part of "Ezest" to a bath. Let coin sit for approximately 1 minute.
    This is how I received my end result. B)

• Options

Here is my other cherry pick, the 1966 SMS KENNEDY "Double Profile". Not as pronounced (doubled In "God We Trust") as my latest find.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

thx joey & hoopster ✌

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of prices do you get at pawn shops compared to, say, eBay?

• Options
    edited October 25, 2020 11:18PM

Now, I do realize my coin has blotches but Close match? I feel mine has a better Cameo anyway?
    MS 64 Cam. FS-103 Notice close ups on this coin, blotches also.

Can mine also be a MS 64?

• Options

I went back to the same pawn shop today. Last time I was there, when I picked the 1966 sms DDO, I went through about 25 Kennedys. . But forgot to check for the '64d/d's. I ask to see them again and the owner told me on Mondays, they send the silver to be melted. Wow, so that means I pulled the SMS Kennedy DDO, before it got cooked! Shhhh. :)

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

You literally saved it from the fire! Way to go!

• Options
    edited October 27, 2020 11:50PM

Now, can I be acclaimed as an official, " Numismatic Fireman?" Lol 🔥🧯🚒👨‍🚒

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file