Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on this AU bust half's luster

This bust half has excellent luster for an AU coin. Is it possible it's UNC with a weak strike or maybe the luster is from a previous dip? Video can be found HERE. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a pretty coin with great luster! Does look like a little wear at the high points though. Hope it's a 58+

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not Unc, if that's what you are asking. There are minor wear points showing on the curls, the top of the drapery, on the reverse along the top of the shield, the claws, and most noticeably, the left facing wing on the reverse.

The strike, for what it's worth, is strong and well centered.

Also for what it's worth, the luster appears muted, especially for if you are thinking even high-end AU (55/58). Luster doesn't come from a previous dip, so based on your post you'll want to look into that thought process a little further.

A couple last items to consider are the surfaces appear less than original, and so does the color. It may or may not straight grade.

Just my thoughts and opinions.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that it is an attractive coin that is just short of Mint State. The toning is not original but secondary toning that formed after the coin was dipped. In this case, the owner got lucky because the toning is attractive, at least to my eye.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    It's not Unc, if that's what you are asking. There are minor wear points showing on the curls, the top of the drapery, on the reverse along the top of the shield, the claws, and most noticeably, the left facing wing on the reverse.

The strike, for what it's worth, is strong and well centered.

Also for what it's worth, the luster appears muted, especially for if you are thinking even high-end AU (55/58). Luster doesn't come from a previous dip, so based on your post you'll want to look into that thought process a little further.

A couple last items to consider are the surfaces appear less than original, and so does the color. It may or may not straight grade.

Just my thoughts and opinions.

Excellent comments and observations.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2020 8:25AM

The coin has the wear of an AU-58 and the surfaces do not look original.

Edited for spelling ...

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ksuscottksuscott Posts: 266 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the feedback. When I compare this one to a MS example I have I think this one has better luster that really comes to life under light. However, I believe my MS example has the original skin that may be somewhat muting the luster were as this example may have been dipped at one point and then re-toned over time. I just wanted to see if others had similar thoughts. It's still an attractive coin in my opinion.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd try to get it graded. If it has original surfaces, no real impairment from cleaning, etc. it may straight grade. Not sure if it is a better Overton.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Needs to be seen in hand to get the right look at the fields.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55 or 58. The stars are very sharp and are not starting to bleed into the rim (an early die state and one that I like.
    It may have been cleaned at one time but has retoned rather nicely. I'm sure many collectors will like it. It would make a good album type coin.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little concerned about the area between BUS UNIM and the eagle's neck.. appears possibly repaired but would want a close up straight and angled look at it.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice bust half! High AU coin. Looks AU55.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

from the pics, no luster exists. from the video, plenty to be found. if you grade it, post here please. i have my number but i'll keep it to myself this time.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2020 5:49AM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    from the pics, no luster exists. from the video, plenty to be found. if you grade it, post here please. i have my number but i'll keep it to myself this time.

From the pics, I see plenty of luster. In terms of wear, the coin looks AU55, though quite possibly an AU details grading result.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file