Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there a gold $5 1844 "Earring" Variety?

philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Browsing some dealer webpages I came across a really nice $5 1844 PCGS MS63 CAC. A gorgeous coin. But it looks to be wearing an earring! Here's the TrueView...

Looked at CoinFacts to see if this was normal, as I don't recall $5 Libs wearing an earring. None of the CoinFacts coins show this:

Looking through auction records, some 1844's do show this "earring". Here's one sold by Stacks in November 2017 in Baltimore (PCGS MS62 CAC):

Is there a known variety for $5 1844 with this earring?

He who knows he has enough is rich.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes that is a known variety. A few other dates as well, 1854 $5 from top of mind.

• Options
    edited October 23, 2020 3:50PM

Awesome thanks..I didn’t see anything on the CoinFacts page. Was this someone at the mint having fun playing with the dies? 😀

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@philographer said:
    Awesome thanks..I didn’t see anything on the CoinFacts page. Was this someone at the mint having fun playing with the dies? 😀

it would have to be raised on the die. perhaps a hole in the hub?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@philographer said:
    Browsing some dealer webpages I came across a really nice $5 1844 PCGS MS63 CAC. A gorgeous coin. But it looks to be wearing an earring! Here's the TrueView...

i haven't seen many coins or much commentary about pvc and gold but if you do get that coin, be sure to do some research and also verify if it is pvc. from those pics, a few of those spots look greenish. may be nothing, may be something.

fun thread.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Thanks. Some dates e.g. 1854 show a variety in CoinFacts such as DDO FS-101(earring). Others like 1851-C...and the 1844 I note above do not. Can someone explain why not? Also, is there an authoritative source for major varieties in gold? Thank you.

• Options

1854 as pointed out by @Boosibri

This is the 1851-C

• Options

@CharlotteDude said:
    Yes - a known variety. As noted above, there are other Half Eagle dates that have this mark. Most 1851-C Half Eagles are typically found with this "ear piercing". Given is location, it appears to be a centering mark. There is a variety of 1851-C Half Eagles without the punch mark, but those are much rarer than the aforementioned variety. Here's my "with ear piercing" example:

Very cool. Nice coin :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting variety.... @PerryHall.. Thanks for the explanation. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

The two shown in the OP are the same coin.

Interesting that it's said to have been from a compass point used to lay out stars. Why would they do this on the hub? Other period coins have raised center dots. At any rate, it's a pretty cool variety I was unaware of.

• Options
    edited October 24, 2020 7:59AM

@messydesk said:
    The two shown in the OP are the same coin.

Nice eye @messydesk

Here's a different coin, same variety, from Heritage

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

theres some good knowledge in here thats for sure

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file