Home U.S. Coin Forum

Let me share with you my Great Grandmother Grannie's Franklin Half Dollar Whitman Album collection

ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 23, 2020 2:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

As mentioned before, my Grandparents, Great Grandparents, and likely earlier relatives were collectors. Coins were a big thing, among other things.

Here is my Great Grandmother's (Grannie) Whitman album with a full date/mm set of Franklin pulled from circulation. This album has been complete and has remained as is since the mid 1980's. I have no Franklins other than her's and my grandfathers, in this album, another partially filled album, and of course, rolls.

Happy Friday. Thanks for looking.

Comments

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are awesome

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2020 2:22PM

Love it. Great looking circulated Franklin halves. Kudos to Grannie!!

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive Half Dollar collection ThreeCentsSilverFl. Thanks for sharing with us and hats off to your ancestral collectors.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins!

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sets like that have inspired me to try and create a set from junk bins. Should be pretty easy when shows open up.

• JmisJmis Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

You just convinced me to do another book. Thanks for sharing!

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pulled so many cents, nickels, dimes and quarters for albums and bank cards, but for the life of me, do not remember saving Frankies. Weird until today hadn't thought of that. Nice collection and what a great memory it brings of pulling silver coins from circulation for face value. Thanks for sharing and stirring the old thoughts.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. It's real nice to see that of the past

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Albums are the BEST!
    I miss those days........................ :'(

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:
    And... here's the partial H.E. Harris album w/ duplicates. Nice acid burn!

Do any of the coins on the second panel have toning stenciled by the printed text on the info page?

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

The Whitman blue tri-folds are the staples of our collections since I started as a young boy. Gone are those days when I could still pull a Franklin from circulation, but at least they were affordable enough back in the day & resulted in one of the few complete sets I have (hopefully will upload accompanying pic shortly). That's what I miss most about the hobby - - the thrill of finding most of my stuff in pocket change or cash register drawers (when I was older & in retail)..............

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The set has a nice matched look to it.

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2020 11:06PM

Thanks for posting, I do like albums, don't have to worry about grade numbers, +'s, *'s, cac, toning, pl's etc, just stick them in the album and enjoy

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is very cool!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great set.... Put together in the old days...... I have a run of Franklins from years ago... I should put them in an album, I think I did buy one once. Have to look in the old boxes... Cheers, RickO

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember putting a set together, from circulation, in the early 1960's.

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:
    And... here's the partial H.E. Harris album w/ duplicates. Nice acid burn!

Do any of the coins on the second panel have toning stenciled by the printed text on the info page?

No, I can't tell that there is. Have you seen that happen?

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love seeing stuff like this
    Thank you for sharing my coin brother👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thems was the days. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

A welcome blast from the past.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins! I was a kid back then with little money, and could only dream of putting a set of half dollars like that together. I do have a set or two now, but I keep the coins in tubes, holders and slabs. Never liked storing my coins long term in a folder.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like looking at your great-grandmother's Franklin set. Nice looking circulated coins. Now a family heirloom!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file