Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

34-d for buffalo short set

ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my collecting on a budget projects was to do a buffalo short set that will ultimately reside in a capital plastic holder. Everything was on a budget and this date was always going to be a challenge. I figured raw would be all but impossible, and even graded 64s did not really meet my tastes. There was no way I was going to step up to 65 money for this coin for this set.

Happy the way this one turned out. A couple sets of images from the kitchen light and outdoor light. Still not a perfect representation but I think U get the idea.

Comments

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous coin and great strike (I’d expect nothing less from you) but come on, you can’t hold it like that!

• Options
    SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

That is a pretty well struck coin for that date and mintmark.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice one, Alain! Above average strike and a great die state!

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Excellent coin

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great strike, Alain, as you are wont to have. Like it a lot.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice example of that issue!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice Buff..... Will look good in a capital holder with others of similar quality. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

You inspired me to order a capital plastics short set holder. It shouldn’t cost me much since I have most of the dates raw and without a proper home.

That’s a great looking 34-D buff!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey there Al,
    If the Kitchen lights work use em😊
    I like this one you’re showing. A pretty good strike for the date. I like it and also like the idea of the short set in the capital holder. I can almost guarantee you it’ll look great.
    Thanks for sharing, Joe

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2020 9:18PM

Gorgeous coin and great strike (I’d expect nothing less from you) but come on, you can’t hold it like that!

Nice piece. However,

surface of coin must never come in contact with skin. Oils in skin getting onto coin is to be avoided.

I use microfiber cloth when handling raw coins. Works better than gloves, which are too slippery, in my opinion,

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice I like

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your 34-D doesn't exhibit a lot of the maladies that plague 1934-D. Usually LIBERTY is not renederd well, and there seems to be a majority of the strike that is weak in obverse central details.

The reverse shows up quite nice, as is the usual for 34-D.

That's a nice one ya got there, Alain.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the obverse and reverse from a PCGS MS-65 1934-D:

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

The vast majority of this date (and the 1935-D, too) are horribly produced. I never saw a full strike on either during my 12 year, 100,000 coin strike study, tho a very few came close. After 1935, quality strikes and die states from all mints are readily available.

• Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    That is a very nice Buff..... Will look good in a capital holder with others of similar quality. Cheers, RickO

And so it shall. The 'theme' or goal of the set was "technically solid" and on a relative budget. To me that includes a better strike, relatively mark free surfaces and pleasing eye appeal. I did wander at a few points, obtaining some real blazers but with lessor strikes, but the direction of the set is clear now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file