Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Brasher Doubloon or ANT IPO

What do you think is the better investment longterm ?
Buy the Brasher Doubloon NGC 65 in January or invest into the ANT financial IPO ?
I think ANT IPO might be so much better investment....

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2020 7:29AM

ANT for my money

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

whats an ant? some sorta big bug?

• Options

@johnny9434 said:

China’s biggest mobile payments company

• Options

@PrivateCoinCollector if you are be able to get in on the IPO at $35 that seems like a good move.

• Options

trying to get in, its hard. And then we need to see what is the allocation you get.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Brasher cannot create cash flows, expand markets, or create new technology. Its price appreciation relies on things like ANT investors doing well.

• Options

@privaterarecoincollector said:
    trying to get in, its hard. And then we need to see what is the allocation you get.

I have no hope of an allocation but will likely build a position if the aftermarket pricing offers a reasonable opportunity

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@johnny9434 said:

China’s biggest mobile payments company

thank you

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a third Brasher floating around for sale privately too so supply is atypically high at the moment. I'd say go for the IPO.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options

@btcollects said:
    the fact you asked this question illustrates that you have more than enough money already and that you must buy the doubloon

your life will not be complete without the coin

the boss move would be to get the allocation and then tell all your friends that you bought coins instead

I promise you, my life is perfectly complete without the coin.

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

ANT, no question. I'd take a position for sure, but my broker won't have an allocation of this one.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are hobby items, even rare ones like the Brasher piece. I don't consider them to be investments. Speculations, maybe, but not investments.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANT, I am in on this one..........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@btcollects said:

@btcollects said:
    the fact you asked this question illustrates that you have more than enough money already and that you must buy the doubloon

your life will not be complete without the coin

the boss move would be to get the allocation and then tell all your friends that you bought coins instead

I promise you, my life is perfectly complete without the coin.

good head fake, smart yeah don't let anyone know you have to have it

no honestly, its just a place holder for an expensive coin. While I like the idea of owning a Brasher Doubloon, it doesnt fit into anything I might want to collect.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2020 2:24AM

To make it a more even comparison, you can make the Brasher an income producing asset.

For example when Adam Crum and Michael Carabini purchased Walter Perschke's Brahsher, they not only used it for marketing of their firm, but they also produced and sold replicas, similar to what the Smithsonian does with their collection.

You might still not make as much as on ANT, but at least the Brasher would be making money!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do both... One is a hobby, the other an investment. Unless you consider investing in IPO's a hobby.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

Neither nor: Im buying ancient Roman coins now.

• Options

Neither nor: Im buying ancient Roman coins now.

Let’s see your new Eid Mar

• Options

we were not sure the coin is authentic, so we avoided it.

• Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Further to say 'Chinese companies notoriously lie', is a broad and vague statement that has no more merit than saying 'Americans companies notoriously lie' or 'French companies notoriously lie' etc. Everyone lies and everyone tells the truth, just look at what is going on in the world.............

While I commend your democratic outlook, it shows an ignorance of China and Chinese companies. A Brasher doubloon is not subject to corrupt “government insight,” nor revelations of cooking its books (a la Luckin and a very long list of other companies over the past decade plus), nor is it enmeshed and trying to function in an inherently corrupt, dictatorial system (a la ANT and BABA). It blows me away that anyone would sink money into a Chinese venture at this point, but I guess greed is blinding.

Brasher doubloon for me, any day.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020 5:38AM
  • Options

From a better source:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ant-group-ipo/china-slams-the-brakes-on-ant-groups-37-billion-listing-idUSKBN27J1OS

-CCP creates bogus fin sector regulation, applies it unevenly. Ant is run by Ma who assumes regulation isn’t meant for him, so he skirts it.

-Unregulated, Ant engages in harmful lending.

-Emboldened, Ant founder insults CCP. Bogus fin sector regulation gets used as a cudgel, its sole intended purpose.

-American investors lose money. Wish they had a Brasher doubloon instead.

• Options
    edited November 5, 2020 6:45AM

@ffcoins said:

Wouldn't that only be if they called in Jack Ma after the IPO? Before the IPO is protecting American investors and letting them buy the doubloon!

• Options
    edited November 5, 2020 6:50AM

IPO shares can be flipped, too. Although, I'm not sure that's the plan.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2020 6:52AM

When was the Garrett-Patrick specimen graded to NGC MS65*, becoming the finest known certified 1878 Brasher, Punch on Wing?

Back in 2016, the Perschke-Crum NGC MS63 was known as the "finest known certified 1787 Brasher, Punch on Wing doubloon".

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/brasher-doubloon-former-owner-walter-perschke-dies.html

• Options
    edited November 5, 2020 7:39AM

Another way to think about this is:

Buy the Brasher with your TSLA or NIO money ;)

• Options

@Zoins said:

@ffcoins said:

Wouldn't that only be if they called in Jack Ma after the IPO? Before the IPO is protecting American investors and letting them buy the doubloon!

Take a look at BABA

• Options
    edited November 5, 2020 8:30AM

@ffcoins said:

@Zoins said:

@ffcoins said:

Take a look at BABA

Well, protecting people from the ANT IPO and BABA are similar, but still different. Buying an ANT IPO allocation is different than picking up BABA on the open market.

• Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Private Rare Coin Collector Now you’re collecting the same dreck as Tyrant ?
    You should not pass up this opportunity to own the finest
    Brasher Dubloon
    Why would you buy ANT when you own Air B&B ?
    Ever think about collecting the finest
    Lincoln cents, Indian cents and Flying Eagle cents ?

• Options

let's not belittle other collecting

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Looks like its an easy choice now LOL who would have thought there is no ANT IPO ???!!!

• Options
    privaterarecoincollectorprivaterarecoincollector Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020 10:37AM

@RedCopper said:
    Brasher Dubloon

@RedCopper said:
    Brasher Dubloon

Im buying Roman Aurei now, its really the best.

https://www.sixbid.com/en/roma-numismatics-ltd/7787/the-g-t-collection-of-the/6355248/vitellius-av-aureus-rome-late?term&orderCol=starting_price&orderDirection=desc&priceFrom&displayMode=large&auctionSessions=&sidebarIsSticky=false

https://www.sixbid.com/en/roma-numismatics-ltd/7787/roman-imperial/6355336/domitian-av-aureus-rome-ad?term&orderCol=starting_price&orderDirection=desc&priceFrom&displayMode=large&auctionSessions=&sidebarIsSticky=false

• Options

@RedCopper said:
    Brasher Dubloon

https://www.sixbid.com/en/roma-numismatics-ltd/7787/the-g-t-collection-of-the/6355248/vitellius-av-aureus-rome-late?term&orderCol=starting_price&orderDirection=desc&priceFrom&displayMode=large&auctionSessions=&sidebarIsSticky=false

https://www.sixbid.com/en/roma-numismatics-ltd/7787/roman-imperial/6355336/domitian-av-aureus-rome-ad?term&orderCol=starting_price&orderDirection=desc&priceFrom&displayMode=large&auctionSessions=&sidebarIsSticky=false

Nice!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

China squashed Ma's ANT IPO......it's a no go ipo.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2020 3:38AM

How do you think the upside of the Roman Aurei compare to the Brasher?

• Options

@Zoins said:

How do you think the upside of the Roman Aurei compare to the Brasher?

If you want upside you have to buy ANT

• Options

or airbnb

• Options

@ffcoins said:

While I commend your democratic outlook, it shows an ignorance of China and Chinese companies. A Brasher doubloon is not subject to corrupt “government insight,” nor revelations of cooking its books (a la Luckin and a very long list of other companies over the past decade plus), nor is it enmeshed and trying to function in an inherently corrupt, dictatorial system (a la ANT and BABA). It blows me away that anyone would sink money into a Chinese venture at this point, but I guess greed is blinding.

Chinese mega-companies are no more corrupt than those here in the US. We can debate the merits of the US and Chinese governments to infinity. What we are talking about here instead is which is a better investment. When the IPO for ANT is rescheduled and implemented, no question it will be something to get in on. Brasher doubloons are very likely to not go up in value in multiples over decades, ANT likely will. Heck my BABA stock is up 300% in just a few years........

It blows me away that anyone would not sink money into a Chinese venture at this point, I guess xenophobia is blinding.

ANT for me, any day.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do Ant's never get sick? ...... they have ant-i-bodies. :) I'll take a look at ANT. Big NIO fan.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2020 9:59PM

@spacehayduke said:

@ffcoins said:

Chinese mega-companies are no more corrupt than those here in the US. We can debate the merits of the US and Chinese governments to infinity. What we are talking about here instead is which is a better investment. When the IPO for ANT is rescheduled and implemented, no question it will be something to get in on. Brasher doubloons are very likely to not go up in value in multiples over decades, ANT likely will. Heck my BABA stock is up 300% in just a few years........

It blows me away that anyone would not sink money into a Chinese venture at this point, I guess xenophobia is blinding.

ANT for me, any day.

The regulatory environment and ensuing corporate culture are pretty significant factors in the risk assessment of investments. It's not only potential upside that you need to consider, it's potential downside as well. If you think that’s xenophobic, then I don’t know how to help you.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy @ffcoins. Your points have merit, but your tone could use some work. Maybe try editing your last sentence. It's worthless as-is.

The opportunity in ANT, BABA etc is obvious, but I wouldn't be sanguine about assuming that the Chinese will be keen to offer the lions-share of it to foreigners behind computer screens. Investing in other countries is hard because we don't speak the "language". Meaning things can look cheap because we price in our own regulatory system and protections and forget that they don't apply elsewhere.

Everyone looks for the sucker, and that attitude has nothing to do with China. Remember what happened to Icelandic banks when they saw a major opportunity in US financial products? US bankers happily sold them packaged, gold-plated garbage (backed by US credit ratings agencies) which promptly exploded when 2008 rolled around.

• Options

@ffcoins said:

The regulatory environment and ensuing corporate culture are pretty significant factors in the risk assessment of investments. It's not only potential upside that you need to consider, it's potential downside as well. If you think that’s xenophobic, then I don’t know how to help you.

These issues are as associated with US companies as those from China. There is always risk any time you buy stock. How about TSLA? Buy it today and there is huge risk, and huge potential upside and downside. No different than any company stock from China. The xenophobia comes from your other comments to my first post.

Corporate culture? Jack Ma has shown to run his companies in a way that is very similar to many major companies in the US including growing into new markets and areas of capitalization. The Brasher doubloon? Not so much, nothing to offer the investor in terms of growth, just static speculation on someone else coming along who may pay more for it.

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@ffcoins said:

These issues are as associated with US companies as those from China. There is always risk any time you buy stock. How about TSLA? Buy it today and there is huge risk, and huge potential upside and downside. No different than any company stock from China. The xenophobia comes from your other comments to my first post.

Corporate culture? Jack Ma has shown to run his companies in a way that is very similar to many major companies in the US including growing into new markets and areas of capitalization. The Brasher doubloon? Not so much, nothing to offer the investor in terms of growth, just static speculation on someone else coming along who may pay more for it.

Good luck building out your portfolio :)

• Options
    RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

If you are a student of History
    and Numismatics and have passion
    there is really no choice between
    owning the finest Brasher Dubloon
    and any IPO. The Brasher wins easily
    Hands Down . There will always be new IPO’s but there is only one
    Gem Brasher Dubloon

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

When was the Garrett-Patrick specimen graded to NGC MS65*, becoming the finest known certified 1878 Brasher, Punch on Wing?

Back in 2016, the Perschke-Crum NGC MS63 was known as the "finest known certified 1787 Brasher, Punch on Wing doubloon".

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/brasher-doubloon-former-owner-walter-perschke-dies.html

The Perschke Brasher was never the finest known. It was the finest certified. But anyone who has seen the Garrett coin knew that it was the best.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file