Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Long time... need $10 Indian Gold CAC coins for a set

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking to do something completely different ... and put together a $10 set of Indians. If you were to buy the centerpiece coin first, which would it be?

I may do a type set depending on how the above goes. Where should I start there?

Some of the best sets I have put together started with the iconic coin for the set and I built around it.

Thanks,
Doug

Doug

Comments

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1907 Rolled edge and 1933 immediately come to mind. Lots of key dates in the set a very tough series to complete especially in choice unc or better.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you have deep pockets. :o:D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Why not do the 8 piece Proofs? If your pockets are really deep, add Simpson's (unique?) PR 1907 Rolled Edge.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big ambition! Look forward to seeing the results.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That will be quite the project. You did not mention the grade range ... either way, will be expensive and may take a while. I am not familiar enough with the series to identify the key to start with, but the 1920S, 1911D and the 1907's come to mind. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    That will be quite the project. You did not mention the grade range ... either way, will be expensive and may take a while. I am not familiar enough with the series to identify the key to start with, but the 1920S, 1911D and the 1907's come to mind. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:

The real key is the 1933 since almost the entire mintage was melted

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

I did a year set 1907 - 1932, no CAC for me, there’s a lot of AU58-MS62 coins close to melt so mint Mark wasn’t important. The 07 has a lot of baggie and crappy looking coins IMO. The 1916 S should be acquired as a decent price comes up since that’s the only date/mm of that year.

I didn’t get the 20S, 30S, and 33 (cost) So it’s a bare bones set that I’m actually in the green. It’s not perfect but it’s a good balance of collecting and having the ability to do okay on the sell end as well if needed as I age.

iMy .02

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

A year set would be nice in AU to MS.

• Options

I was thinking just a few key pieces to start, and maybe just a date set. I've always loved the design, but never jumped in. I'm still studying the differences. Eight piece proof set ... hmmm. I'll have to think about it.

Doug
  • Options

Or a gold type set would be cool.

Doug
  • Options

With a set like Simpson coming up, there may be opportunities now that will not come up again in a decade or longer. I've sorted the small cents and patterns and have an opinion on those. I suppose I'll look there and see what has been in hiding :smiley:

Doug
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doug - Buy Bowers book - you will need the info. Especially if you want an outstanding set.

expo.whitman.com/news/dave-bowers-guide-books-and-americas-10-gold-coins/

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Simpson $10 set will not be for sale.

Centerpiece of set is the 33. Next 20-S.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't recall seeing one of your posts for some time.

Did I just miss them?

If not, welcome back.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

Love your Flying Eagle set!

• Options

Thank you guys~ It has been a minute since I have posted. I've been dominated over the last 6-8 with work related to COVID. I don't want to complain about it here though :smiley: I have been able to get my coins out and forget about the real world from time to time!

I need to update the coins in that link. There might be a couple of changes.

Doug
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back Doug! The $10 Indian CAC hunt would make for a killer collection. I can only imagine the work you've put in since the Covid came along in March. My only $10 Indian below.

• Options

That 1909 looks nice Mel!

Doug
  • Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Like a few of the posters above, I started a date $10 set. Don't forget the PCGS registry where you can upload the photos to a Dansco type digital album. I have a few NGC graded $10 Indians, but I figure I will complete the date set before I worry about crossing them over. Mine are MS62-64, with a few CACs.

I would start with the best 1907 you can find. If you are wealthy, start with one of the high dollar 1907s.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/album/172533

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cant imagine there are very many collectors with the funds to put together that type set. As awesome as it is, I'm pretty sure the rolled edge pictured above cost more than my house.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a modest date set together. In general there seems to be a tough price jump from ms64 to ms65 for most dates. And anything with a CAC sticker is double price in 65.

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

I always liked this coin. I may have to pick one up for the Box of 20!

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interestingly, Saint-Gaudens' Indian design was originally intended for the cent redesign. Just like Saint-Gaudens' Flying Eagle design before, Roosevelt was so impressed he moved them both to the $20 gold design. As a result, the cent wasn't redesigned until 1909.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

Wow Boiler! those would be awesome!

Rick, I. still have my copy of the coin in copper! Love it!

Doug
  • Options

@DMWJR said:
    Wow Boiler! those would be awesome!

Rick, I. still have my copy of the coin in copper! Love it

Pictures?

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boiler78 strikes again. beautiful coins

• Options

Ran across these in my drawer and remembered I said I would post a pic

Doug
  • Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2020 6:40PM

@boiler78 said:
    You could just do a four coin type set of Indian Eagles

Wire edge

Rolled edge

No motto

With motto

Good lord!

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do yourself a favor and learn to look for doctored coins with putty. I had some issues with that in this series.

I worked this series for a long time and found that you could find some nice AU pieces from time to time. I would avoid the common dates (26, 32) as there are so many of them you have a lot of choices. Maybe look for the S mints or the 11D. Cost quickly becomes a problem (it did with me) so you'll probably have to take you time....

jom

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boiler78 said:

No motto

Me want. >:)

jom

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2020 12:45PM

I saw a bunch of Really nice PCGS $10 Indians stacked in guys case at recent show. His CAC ones marked up at least CDN bid (for CAC) plus 50 pct. They were really PQ. Are you a buyer at that? He pretty much well had only ones in the room....

He had a sign “Paying Full Certified Bid for Slabbed Coins.” Which is bluesheet. A number of individuals lined up selling....

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2020 7:27PM

I'm glad this thread bumped forward. My thoughts of collecting in another series has been hampered by not being able to go to shows and look at many different examples with a desire to purchase. That's a lot different that just casually admiring coins in the lot viewing room.

I still haven't bought one yet. There is not a large selection out there that are CAC approved and I don't know how to evaluate that like I would in the small cent world.

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions!

This one looks tempting ...

Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file