Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it worth a shot?

JmisJmis Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

Another question for the more experienced. Do you there’s a chance this coin could bump if resubmitted? If yes do you think I stand a better chance at NGC versus PCGS? I would prefer the coin in a PCGS holder. Grey Sheet is a big jump from 63 to 64, almost double.

Comments

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much would it be worth if it came back a 62? It's a gamble. Only way I could see getting an upgrade would be to crack it out and submit raw.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Could come back lower than 63 if you crack it. Would leave it as is.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Look at the flaws on the coin, not the dollar signs in the price spread.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd leave it.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

You main goal should be to sell this one and find one in a PCGS holder. Chasing upgrades is not easy either, especially when there is a big gap in price from one grade to the next.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

@MFeld said:

Could you point some out please? I'm a newer collector and learning.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am in the no group.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope leave it be.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@Jmis said:

@MFeld said:

Look at the Indian’s cheek and jaw and the upper left and upper right reverse fields.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2020 5:24PM

63 is not a bad grade, and that is a nice 63, but the odds of it going 64 aren’t great. It may cross, but likely at the same grade, maybe lower. I still like it. Edited.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Jmis said:

@MFeld said:

Look at the Indian’s cheek and jaw and the upper left and upper right reverse fields.

Basically the whole coin?

• Options
    edited October 21, 2020 5:35PM

@Boosibri said:

@MFeld said:

@Jmis said:

@MFeld said:

Now, now, let’s be kind.😉

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Boosibri said:

@MFeld said:

@Jmis said:

@MFeld said:

Now, now, let’s be kind.😉

Sorry, it’s the wine

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@MFeld said:

@Jmis said:

@MFeld said:

Thanks Pro

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

at a 63 level there will be many noticeable flaws. the pictures and I don't get along so i can't help pointing them out however the point is a 63 doesn't need them pointed out.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be afraid of a downgrade. It looks pretty fairly graded, IMHO.

Vplite99
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, It looks like a 63 to me.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Properly graded as a 3...very unlikely to upgrade.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    I'd leave it.

:(

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

a good 63 ... leave it and check the references provided above.

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a decent looking properly graded MS63. Leave it where it is and enjoy it for what it is or sell it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a "newer" collector who is still learning, I recommend you spend time studying the coin series you wish to collect and get more comfortable with grading before you begin playing the "crack out" game. Please understand, there is no insult intended.

Three things to consider with this specific coin. First, the price spread between 63 and 64 should give you a clue about the relative rarity of a coin in 64 vs. 63.

Second, if the coin really was a good candidate for an upgrade (and "double" its value), why has it not already been re-submitted or in a PCGS holder? There are professional numismatists and exceptional collectors who play the "crack out" game quite effectively and the likelihood that you, as a "newer" collecto,r would come across a good upgrade candidate is minimal.

Third, and I will show my bias, my guess the coin is in an NGC holder for a reason and it does not have a CAC sticker. I think the market is stronger for PCGS-graded gold and I bet if submitted to PCGS, it would either come back 63 or 62.

Good luck on your quest and keep asking questions.

Oh ... and something else to consider, when the ANA holds the Summer Seminar grading courses again, consider venturing out to Colorado Springs to attend a class or two. It will be well worth the time and money.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I join the consensus.... It could go 62 on a regrade. If you want a higher grade, sell this one and buy the grade you want. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Since everyone is giving OP some free advice, I'll chime in too. I have no idea whether it's accurately graded or not, but when asking those kind of questions here it's more fun to start by just showing the coin (not the holder) and asking the forumites to "Guess the grade" (GTG). Then look at what the pros and 5-star posters say, and you'll have a pretty good idea of what people think of it without them being led to a specific conclusion. (p.s. never trust my guesses)

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd just try to get it submitted to cac when a local dealer or collector is sending a batch in to see what they think. These are tough to grade and downgrades are not uncommon.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take the chance. That type of MS gold coin is exceptionally difficult to grade from photos. They really have to be seen in-hand. At the very least you will have a coin in a PCGS holder.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

Here’s a better photo

• Options

I recently had some good luck with a 1884CC dollar upgrading to a 66+ so I thought I’d try my luck again. I’m not risky enough to crack a coin out of the holder yet. For what it’s worth this coin was in an old collection from what I was told when I purchased it over a year ago. That’s also why I thought maybe give it a try. Thank you for all the great advice!

• Options

I join the consensus group here. The incuse gold design is notoriously difficult to grade and it is also a tough road in most cases for PCGS to not only cross a NGC, let alone at a higher grade. Have you ever sent it to CAC? If CAC won't even sticker it in the NGC holder, I really doubt you could get a 64 at PCGS, and as some have said, face a good chance of a 62 at PCGS whether you crack it out or just try to cross. Of course, as discussed in some of my GTG posts, the photography makes a big difference in really gauging on the board here versus viewing in person under some magnification...

** TexasAKHouston **
    Successful BST transactions with: PerryHall, wondercoin, gowithmygut, RonB, oreville
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's safe and sound forever and a day where it is

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file