Home U.S. Coin Forum

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled So-Called Dollars!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 20, 2020 1:49AM in U.S. Coin Forum

So-Called Dollars were mostly souvenirs and while there are some well worn ones, it's not often you come across damaged ones. Here are two which have seen a lot of wear and tear.

Post any you come across here.

1870 Pilgrim Jubilee Memorial Semiquincentennial (250 years) - J. Collett Counterstamp - HK-15

This one is interesting because it has the J. COLLETT counterstamp punched in several times. It looks like once on the obverse and nine times on the reverse.

1904 Evacuation of Boston Quasquicentennial (125 years) - Brockage - HK-131

This one shows some evidence of brockage on the lower right corner of the reverse. it looks like the reverse image of letters from the obverse punched into the reverse.

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

damaged or "impaired" medals show up at eBay quite often, though not usually as severe as these.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... Hard to imagine the rocky road those have traveled....Cheers, RickO

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the thread title. It's nice to see beat up So-Called dollars getting some love ;)

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like many medals .... but not those.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one I hoped to get slabbed as a PCGS PO01 :)

• Pioneer1Pioneer1 Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

HK-369a... not in super good shape but fairly scarce...

A So-Called Dollar and Slug Collector... Previously "Pioneer" on this site...

• Pioneer1Pioneer1 Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

HK-11c ... also scarce...

A So-Called Dollar and Slug Collector... Previously "Pioneer" on this site...

edited December 20, 2020 7:03AM

Nice ones @Pioneer1! They are both hard to come by! Love the Fort Sumpter piece!

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this in a yard while playing with friends in Detroit Lakes, MN, c. 1967-68

edited January 31, 2022 2:59AM

OMG, okay, so this isn't a So-Called Dollar, but it is a commemorative!

It just seemed to fit with the two in the OP. Thanks to @illini420 for posting this elsewhere and also submitting this :)

I'd love to submit my Washington Before Boston but I think it's too curved to actually fit in a slab, unless it was possibly a large size medal slab. I wonder if PCGS would do it for me!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1013656/collectors-you-ever-submit-a-coin-knowing-it-would-bodybag

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keeping this AWESOME thread alive, here is a recent acquisition.

A nice pocket carry example of an HK-427. VF-30 ish condition if I had to hazard a guess . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

edited January 31, 2022 3:00AM

Here's Tennessee Centennial Dollar.

While low condition coins are common, So-Called Dollars were souvenirs so these are interesting when I come across them.

Nice resurrection of this thread @Zoins .

I think this recent acquisition qualifies . . .

I love the rugged look of this piece.

Low "P" die pair, obviously a later die state from the die cracks.

Obverse cracks at 10:30 and 6:00.
    Reverse crack at 9:45.

Looks to be some strong machine doubling on the "I" in Florida. Unusual for just one letter to exhibit that.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s half of a dollar

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

edited January 31, 2022 5:11AM

@Pioneer1 said:
    HK-369a... not in super good shape but fairly scarce...

@Pioneer1 said:
    HK-11c ... also scarce...

Very nice examples! It's good to see these scarce So-Calleds, the survivors which have lasted all this time! :+1:

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has got to be the most beautiful example of a “rugged” 1915 Florida at Pan Pacific expo I’ve seen!

@ZoidMeister said:

Looks to be some strong machine doubling on the "I" in Florida. Unusual for just one letter to exhibit that.

Z

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    This has got to be the most beautiful example of a “rugged” 1915 Florida at Pan Pacific expo I’ve seen!

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

Steph,
    Is there a website that gives more description of this medal than HK or NGC or just Google in general. Suchas, the reason for the headless Victory and the Florida Fund? Just curious.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Intersting Thread. I wonder if I have any tokens that are considered "so called dollars" I do have tourist dollars.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers

I really like this one.. Makes you wonder how it got so circulated. Were these used as currency?

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers

Jim,

I ran across this item description from an unknown auction source. Perhaps someone can illuminate from the item number, but it does give a good insight into the headless Liberty methinks.

Z

@jesbroken said:

@coinsarefun said:

Steph,
    Is there a website that gives more description of this medal than HK or NGC or just Google in general. Suchas, the reason for the headless Victory and the Florida Fund? Just curious.
    Jim

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    OMG, okay, so this isn't a So-Called Dollar, but it is a commemorative!

It just seemed to fit with the two in the OP. Thanks to @illini420 for posting this elsewhere and also submitting this :)

I'd love to submit my Washington Before Boston but I think it's too curved to actually fit in a slab, unless it was possibly a large size medal slab. I wonder if PCGS would do it for me!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1013656/collectors-you-ever-submit-a-coin-knowing-it-would-bodybag

That "knocked out of round" coin showing the prospector (with a bear behind) is great! Both the prospector and bear are grizzled, lumpy fellows. They look better on a beat up coin than on a pristine one.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file