Tagged:

Comments

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an expensive photo (>$$30).

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2019 12:40PM

@cameonut2011 said:

It shows up on Cert Verification so it has more authority than a non-TPG photo. Also, some collectors like to have matching TrueViews for their collection. I can appreciate both of these reasons.

Authentication, as mentioned by @Outhaul is another, non-photo, reason.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

It shows up on Cert Verification so it has more authority than a non-TPG photo. Also, some collectors like to have matching TrueViews for their collection. I can appreciate both of these reasons.

I agree 100% regarding authentication. The photo part was the part I questioned. I suppose it also depends on what the coin is. A True View might be desirable even on a mid four figure details graded coin.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2019 1:05PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

I agree 100% regarding authentication. The photo part was the part I questioned. I suppose it also depends on what the coin is. A True View might be desirable even on a mid four figure details graded coin.

I tend to like TrueViews and Heritage auction photos because they are "official", referencable records of the coin. The only things about TrueViews from this perspective are that they can go away if a coin is de-certified and there isn’t a date.

ATS PhotoVision doesn't seem to appear on their Cert Verification and Stack's auction archives aren't very reliable.

• RWMRWM Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Knowing it would and hoping it won't. It has happened for me...

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes for attribution and TV.

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sending in a bust quarter that could go either way. Doesn't matter though. Rare coin with great eye appeal, light old mark doesn't detract much.

• StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2019 3:37PM

Yes, for a second opinion to provide to the seller.

Years ago I bought a collection of classic commems, some of which had been lightly cleaned, from two siblings who’d recently inherited them from their deceased coin-collector father. They were sure that “Dad always bought the very best” and didn’t believe the coins had been cleaned.

I priced the coins and agreed on an additional amount to send them if the coins came back from the TPG straight graded. They ended up coming back about 50% NCS (cleaning) & 50% NGC. I showed them all the results and gave them the additional funds as promised.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are reasons (as mentioned above), particularly if considering resale. Cheers, RickO

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago, I spent about 6 months dedicated to finding a certain VAM.

Found five examples.

I knew two of them would get AU details grade but they were scarce enough to warrant their own holder.

Helped to sell them at enough of a premium to cover the cost and fees on all five.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not knowing they would be "body bagged" but I did expect some of them to come back in "details" slabs. I did it to settle any potential authenticity questions in the future when I or my heirs decide to sell them.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure I understand the term “body bag”, but liked this large cent and the history of potential hoard coin for my slabbed type set...liked the obverse and was far better price wise than I could do for any slabbed coin in much lower grades. So, sent it in expecting details grade.

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I submitted this 1855-S quarter with a filed rim. Bought if from JJ Teaparty as "AU details, filed rim" with a generous discount. It came back "AU details, filed rim," of course. I'm not willing to replace it with a lower grade coin, and finding another AU+ with original skin is equally unlikely, so why not put it in a holder and keep it with the rest of my PCGS coins? Otherwise, it's a coin with great eye appeal sitting in a 2x2 waiting for a staple scratch.

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did on a Fugio Cent once just to get it in the right slab.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimpleCollector said:
    Not sure I understand the term “body bag”...

Before the TPGs gave "details" grades, anything that didn't straight grade was not slabbed but rather was returned instead in a plastic flip, which was informally called a "body bag."

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:

@SimpleCollector said:
    Not sure I understand the term “body bag”...

Before the TPGs gave "details" grades, anything that didn't straight grade was not slabbed but rather was returned instead in a plastic flip, which was informally called a "body bag."

Thanks. I was confused about that too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file