Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I've "Completed" My PCGS Dansco 7070 Type Set!

winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 15, 2021 6:36PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The very heavy emphasis of my "collection" during my adult years has been putting together and upgrading a U.S. Type Set. Once I started partaking in the "little boys game" (also known as the PCGS Registry), I used as a framework the PCGS "Basic U.S. Coin Design Set No Gold", along with the "Gold Type Set 12 Piece, Circulation Strikes". Those sets were mostly "completed" a bit more than a year or so ago.

Very early this year I read a thread on this forum about a member completing his PCGS Dansco 7070 Type Set, I had not been familiar with this at all, but I saw how extremely similar in composition the set was to mine. The main difference is the Dansco 7070 set had about a dozen or so extra slots. Wow! A nice challenge providing me a renewed interest in adding to my collection in a meaningful way.

Without rushing, but putting in a LOT of time scanning almost every auction, including the weekly ones, I have now "completed" that new set! I put "completed" in quotes, since it's my nature to keep an eye on upgrades, but at this point those will slow down, as I venture on to other sets in our wonderful hobby.

Yes, I'm very proud of my collection for the beauty of the varied coin designs, the history, etc. However, some of you are into stats, so here are three tidbits that might make my collection different from others:

1. Plus Grades - Coins graded 69 or 70 are ineligible to get a “+” grade. In this set of 84 coins, 15 are graded 69 or 70, and are therefore ineligible for a “+” grade. Of the remaining 69 coins potentially eligible for a “+”, 44 of the 69 of my coins eligible for a "+" in this set have a “+”. Of those 44 with a “+”, 5 of those are the ONLY ones in that grade with a “+”. Not top pops, but a pop of only 1 for each of those five coins.

2. This set contains one Flying Eagle Cent and three Indian Head Cents. Not only do each of those four coins have a CAC sticker, but all four each have the “Eagle Eye Photo Seal” from Rick Snow.

3. In this set of 84 coins, 68 of those coins are eligible to receive a CAC. 100% of these 68 coins eligible for a CAC have one!

There's a current thread about credit being given (or not) to the key people behind the scenes in putting a collection together. In my case, I have received invaluable and unbiased help for many years from key people at each of the auction firms that have helped put my set together (some coins were purchased directly from dealers, but the vast majority were via auction). There is absolutely NO doubt that without their help I would have made MANY errors. If you choose to look at the photos of my coins in the hotlink below, and you see some coins that are not so nice, those are the ones that my stubbornness caused me to buy the coin without seeking their guidance.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/alltimeset/213996

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file