Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CAC Reconsideration

Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please post if you have ever resubmitted a previously rejected coin to CAC for reconsideration (in the same holder as the prior submission) and received CAC approval on your subsequent attempt.

I’ve heard of many instances where coins were approved when resubmitted in new higher grade holders, etc., but that is not what I’m interested in. Please do not turn this thread into a platform for bashing CAC.

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know he says that they don't automatically reject them and are always willing to give a coin another look. I've resubmitted at least 1 unintentionally, but never got a bump.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a timely post...I'll let you know later this week/early next week. I'm going to resubmit about 4-5 that I think should have received a sticker tomorrow...all in the same holders.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

JA will offer to take another look for sure, and he has offered to even pay for shipping in the past. But generally speaking the best I would expect is an explanation from JA on what he sees which caused him to deny the coin.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard that it has happened, another Lincoln collector I know was successful once getting a green replaced with a gold. I have never tried it myself.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve done it, successfully, on several occasions, always with a note asking that he reconsider the coin for a green sticker.

Dave

• Options
    EScott83EScott83 Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

Personally, no. I don't play the sticker game. I educate myself (and others) and collect coins, not opinions. But certainly in current times I'm the oddball. However for other purposes I do collect coins that have been rejected then "approved" while in the same holder. Therefore CAC is subjective, as is any TPG, except I believe that instead of the benefit of the law of averages of having a panel of opinions it's just one. What would be awesome for sticker collectors/sellers is if CAC posted a mood indicator! :)

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have resubmitted several and never had a sticker the second time through unless I provided documentation it was formerly stickered at that grade in another holder.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:
    This is a timely post...I'll let you know later this week/early next week. I'm going to resubmit about 4-5 that I think should have received a sticker tomorrow...all in the same holders.

why not post the 4-5 pcs here so us experts (lol) can comment away?
    :#

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    JA will offer to take another look for sure, and he has offered to even pay for shipping in the past. But generally speaking the best I would expect is an explanation from JA on what he sees which caused him to deny the coin.

I called customer service on a few coins I thought would sticker. I was told to resubmit, but You have to specify that you would like John to comment on those coins, to know why no beans.

PS: I guess we know now where the term "cool beans" came from :D

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, on my toned Norfolk about a week after he initially said no. Green beaned the second week.

• Options

@AlanSki said:
    Yes, on my toned Norfolk about a week after he initially said no. Green beaned the second week.

Nice. Did you include a note, or did you simply resubmit?

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, No chesterb, we were talking about the 4-5 coins you are sending back. :D>:)
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Collect4funCollect4fun Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

As I understand, all coins will be reconsidered but they place a sticker on the back to notify them that the coin has been seen before. He will review coins and explain why they didn’t sticker if you ask. e.g. friction obverse, questionable color etc

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Note to @chesterb sticky on those 4-5 pcs, each one needs to state "really?"

inside info, keep between us.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve asked several times and have been successful two or three times. I’d recommend including a note or talking to them before hand. A blind resubmission usually doesn’t work out. If there’s some legitimate reason you think a coin should pass, they’re always happy to listen and consider it.

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

I had only 1 reconsider, submitted to CAC by my trusted dealer, & it stickered upon reconsideration. Backstory...

It was a Classic Head $5, 1836 PCGS MS- 62 with thick, dripping luster. Many professionals graded it as MS-63, so did I. I have never seen a Classic $5 graded below MS-64 with luster this good. We were shocked when it originally failed to sticker, was returned with explanation. We disagreed, so my dealer sent it back to JA. The coin was Gold sticker worthy, but, it came back with a Green bean. I was satisfied. The coin's merits were obvious.

• Options
    JVCJVC Posts: 25 ✭✭

Here is a coin that I requested JA reconsider. It failed a second time because JA thought it had been intentionally marked with someone's initials,

James V. Culbertson
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 or 2 times in about a dozen tries I have got the bean in round 2. Like previously said, you get specific feedback in round 2 as to why not. I appreciate that JA actually takes the time to do this, the info obtained is worth its weight in Os (heaviest metal in its native form ;)

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent in a cracked 1818 Half Dollar that was PCGS AU53 green beaned...came back as PCGS AU55...sent it to JA and was green beaned again. It does happen. You'll never know until you try.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JVC said:

Here is a coin that I requested JA reconsider. It failed a second time because JA thought it had been intentionally marked with someone's initials,

Looks for the hidden “JVC” now

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've resubmitted 2 or 3 coins thru the years. None have ever been beaned. I should attach a note,. just never thought to do that.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options

So from the above responses, it seems like it is a good idea to include a note if you know a coin has been previously rejected, but you think reconsideration is warranted. In situations where you are unsure whether a coin was previously submitted, I suppose the best bet is to hope that they were not? From what I’m hearing, it sounds like JA will give a second look to any previously rejected coin submitted, whether you include a note or not. But if it was previously rejected, I assume it is an uphill battle since the notation of prior rejection is likely to create a strong bias against stickering.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had at least one or so bean on reconsideration after a failure. I never included a note. Same holder/serial number. He will give a coin a fresh look.

• Options
    edited October 13, 2020 5:22AM

@Wahoo554 said:
    So from the above responses, it seems like it is a good idea to include a note if you know a coin has been previously rejected, but you think reconsideration is warranted. In situations where you are unsure whether a coin was previously submitted, I suppose the best bet is to hope that they were not? From what I’m hearing, it sounds like JA will give a second look to any previously rejected coin submitted, whether you include a note or not. But if it was previously rejected, I assume it is an uphill battle since the notation of prior rejection is likely to create a strong bias against stickering.

Yes, if I want feedback I supply a cover letter with the reconsideration, explanation for failure etc. Then he will put a sticker on the slab of why it failed if it does (like one I got simply with an arrow pointing to a tiny area in an obv field), or if you request it, I assume you can still call him these days and discuss the coins that failed.

HST, I have had a couple I have sent in 3 times, not requested feedback, and they failed all 3 times. I still can't see why, I guess on the 4th I need to request feedback........

But I have had others that switched slabs, switched to higher grades, failed at lower grades, passed at higher grades, passed at lower grades, failed at higher grades, and on and on. Just a subjective opinion at a single moment.........

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JVC.... Where are those initials?? I enlarged the picture - twice - and still do not see them.... I see the scratches by the second star to the right of the date, but they do not look intentional or like initials. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @JVC.... Where are those initials?? I enlarged the picture - twice - and still do not see them.... I see the scratches by the second star to the right of the date, but they do not look intentional or like initials. Cheers, RickO

I can’t find them either ...

• Options

Every coin I have ever sent to CAC for reconsideration has been rejected, including a PCGS gold coin and a PCGS Morgan that were both assigned a + grade by PCGS. The odds are very low that they will reverse a decision, it is almost automatically rejected in my opinion.

** TexasAKHouston **
    Successful BST transactions with: PerryHall, wondercoin, gowithmygut, RonB, oreville
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2020 5:55PM

@pluteus913 said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    I have resubmitted several and never had a sticker the second time through unless I provided documentation it was formerly stickered at that grade in another holder.

I’ve heard of many instances where coins were approved when resubmitted in new higher grade holders, etc., but that is not what I’m interested in. Please do not turn this thread into a platform for bashing CAC.

Um, I love CAC so I have no idea what you are talking about. Might I suggest not being so hostile?

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

Despite on my comment on reconsiderations, I would just like to say that I am a huge supporter of CAC. In fact, I was one of the first "advanced collector" members to gain CAC membership, way back in 2009 or whenever they had only been opened for a few months...

** TexasAKHouston **
    Successful BST transactions with: PerryHall, wondercoin, gowithmygut, RonB, oreville
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just sent two coins back for another look. No note included. Several others sent in for first time as well same submission.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

My guess is your are correct, @ricko. At star 12. One initial on top of the other.

Big stretch, IMO. Maybe it's clearer with a loupe.
    Lance.

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's happened, for sure. ;)

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

@oreville said:

I once resubmitted the finest graded PCGS OGH G-04 1916-D mercury dime I ever saw with a green sticker (purchased at the 2010 Boston ANA show floor ) to request a gold sticker. I could not believe it did not get a gold sticker.

Even Laura Sperber used a term I never had heard of before to describe the slab. She called it a gem good.

JA looked at it and stated the only reason he did not grant a gold sticker was it was really a solid G-06 but he did not gold sticker for coins grading in the same Good range.
    I responded by stating that coins graded AU-50 or AU-53 but that is really AU-55 or AU-58 can receive a gold sticker even though it was still in the AU range. Same for the MS graded range coins.

It received the gold sticker.

Would love to see an image of this gem good dime.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

On my last submission to CAC, I gathered several Capped Bust halves that I was confident would have stickered when submitted originally (over the past half-dozen years or so). I resubmitted them as a separate submission in the same package as my submission of new coins. I wrote a letter explaining the coins were resubmissions and I would like for JA to please take another look and attached the letter to the resubmission.

I received notification today that 4 of the 14 CBHs I resubmitted "passed" and were given a sticker.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:

@marcmoish said:

@chesterb said:

why not post the 4-5 pcs here so us experts (lol) can comment away?
    :#

I don't need a bunch of so-called experts to tell me what is and isn't a nice coin! :D>:)

You won't get the so-called ones, only "legitimate experts".

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a coin from a dealer that he said had been green beaned previous to two or three regrade attempts. I bought it, submitted it, and got no sticker. I sent it back with a note and voila, green sticker. The dealer who provided the information is one who keeps his word.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 8:26PM

Were you happy with that though? Coin approved on a technicality but not on its own merits?

“This is Kent Dorfman! He’s a legacy!”

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:
    On my last submission to CAC, I gathered several Capped Bust halves that I was confident would have stickered when submitted originally (over the past half-dozen years or so). I resubmitted them as a separate submission in the same package as my submission of new coins. I wrote a letter explaining the coins were resubmissions and I would like for JA to please take another look and attached the letter to the resubmission.

I received notification today that 4 of the 14 CBHs I resubmitted "passed" and were given a sticker.

Update - I received a nice email sent on behalf of JA regarding why the other 10 resubmissions did not pass. While not a coin-by-coin rundown, the reason was many of them were perceived to have been cleaned in the past. As expected, original surfaces are important for CAC.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since JA is not the only one who evaluates and stickers coins at CAC, how do you know to whom to address your plea for clemency? And I wonder if any coin can pass a second review by a hireling if JA gave it a thumbs down the first time.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2021 2:12PM

@astrorat said:

Update - I received a nice email sent on behalf of JA regarding why the other 10 resubmissions did not pass. While not a coin-by-coin rundown, the reason was many of them were perceived to have been cleaned in the past. As expected, original surfaces are important for CAC.

90% of the time it is the 'cleaned in the past' failure. My experience is that this is either obvious on a given coin you send in, or on the edge and a fairly subjective call. After a while and many submissions, it becomes easier to make the call yourself on this issue and how CAC will deal with it.

Best, SH

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemDude said:
    Since JA is not the only one who evaluates and stickers coins at CAC, how do you know to whom to address your plea for clemency? And I wonder if any coin can pass a second review by a hireling if JA gave it a thumbs down the first time.

I seriously doubt that it makes any difference to whom the plea is addressed. Because ultimately, I don't think the coin would be awarded a sticker without JA's consent.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file