Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this real 1792 quarter

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna go with no. A quick google search shows they look differently. Plus very few were struck.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Odds are not in your favor

• UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Looks like a replica.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dose anyone know the weight in grams?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2020 12:41PM

The ANS specimen weighs 23.36 grams, but the weights of genuine pieces will likely differ greatly on each, given the different diameters and compositions of the very few that are known (I know of 4 in white metal, 2 in copper, and unique uniface impressions of the obverse and reverse in white metal).

Your piece doesn't have the same feel as a genuine example. Plus has some obvious die markings that distinguish it from an original, such as the missing period after LIBERTY.

Edited to add the numista link to the replica piece struck from the exact set of dies as your coin. Click here.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are all 1792 quarter dollars just patterns and none made for circulation?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin, MrEureka! Thanks for posting it!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Are all 1792 quarter dollars just patterns and none made for circulation?
    Jim

Correct.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost looks like the Queen Elizabeth young portrait, lol. It’s actually a nice design. Wouldn’t have minded if it went into production.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bogus 😞

@JesseKraft said:
    The ANS specimen weighs 23.36 grams, but the weights of genuine pieces will likely differ greatly on each, given the different diameters and compositions of the very few that are known (I know of 4 in white metal, 2 in copper, and unique uniface impressions of the obverse and reverse in white metal).

Your piece doesn't have the same feel as a genuine example. Plus has some obvious die markings that distinguish it from an original, such as the missing period after LIBERTY.

Edited to add the numista link to the replica piece struck from the exact set of dies as your coin. Click here.

This was the best information
    NO period after liberty.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:

@JesseKraft said:

NO period after liberty.

What if a replica displayed the period after LIBERTY? Instead of looking just there, I’d focus on the differences in texture and details of the surfaces and try to learn from that.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks no bueno to me

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    No chance. Here’s a real one.

any connection to the 1c s-48? looks to be about 94 stars. i thought they were just dots previously on the 92 pattern 25c.

i think it will help for us to see the scale of this fantastically beautiful pattern. also for authenticity and appreciation.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2020 3:31PM

Looks like a nice match for the 'Massachusetts Cent' I posted here a while back, though I don't think they're from the same set- yours is nicer quality.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

@MFeld said:

@PTVETTER said:

@JesseKraft said:

NO period after liberty.

What if a replica displayed the period after LIBERTY? Instead of looking just there, I’d focus on the differences in texture and details of the surfaces and try to learn from that.

I can agree if one has good example to compare it with!
    I see here some show example of one without a collar which is slightly different.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still an interesting study piece....where did you come across this, PTV?

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

@Walkerguy21D said:

I got a call and he asked me to look at it.
    I know that much about patterns let along on this rare!
    NOT often but every once in a while something shows up out of the clear blue.
    Remember the 1913 V nickel that was once said to be NO good and now it is in PCGS holder?

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

I got a call and he asked me to look at it.
    NOT often but every once in a while something shows up out of the clear blue.
    Remember the 1913 V nickel that was once said to be NO good and now it is in PCGS holder?

Yep, you never know what’s out there! It doesn’t appear to be a junk replica like that Mass cent shown, so there may still be some value. I know that some of the early electro types of rare items created for collectors have demand.....but no idea about this particular piece.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2020 10:42AM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@MrEureka said:
    No chance. Here’s a real one.

any connection to the 1c s-48? looks to be about 94 stars. i thought they were just dots previously on the 92 pattern 25c.

i think it will help for us to see the scale of this fantastically beautiful pattern. also for authenticity and appreciation.

The known Wright Quarters have 87 stars on the reverse, but the connection seems likely. The reverse die of S-48 was probably made from an unfinished die for a Wright Quarter (which could easily have had a different number of stars) that was then repurposed for a large cent. Alternatively, the engraver (in 1793 or 1794) may have had the idea to use stars on the reverse of the large cent similar to those on the 1792 Quarters, applied them, and then thought better of it.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread.... If I, somehow, came across such a coin, I would need a lot of help like this. Since this area was prospering during that time period, it would not be impossible to find such a coin here.. (some houses from the late 1600's)... Cheers, RickO

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    The known Wright Quarters have 87 stars on the reverse, but the connection seems likely. The reverse die of S-48 was probably struck from an unfinished die for a Wright Quarter (which could easily have had a different number of stars) that was then repurposed for a large cent. Alternatively, the engraver (in 1793 or 1794) may have had the idea to use stars on the reverse of the large cent similar to those on the 1792 Quarters, applied them, and then thought better of it.

thanks for the commentary.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file