Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

(ANOTHER ONE COMING?) welp. that pricing increase happened! (AGAIN)

blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

rumor got to me. went ahead and banged out about 4 bulk subs today & tonight while watching the plethora of big games.
went ahead packed and printed out the shipping labels just in case.

went to go in and attempt to struggle through one more, just in case, and them BAM. a whole new world.

not sure what qualifies as "significant" but that rumored price increase is "kinda" official.

ultra modern took a price hike from $12 to $15.

they lowered the min submission qty from 100 down to 20 at least.

at first, i thought a "monthly" special just expired, but realized the specials are always down at the bottom.

so not sure if this was technically a "price increase" vs an elimination of a bulk discount.

pretty witty move, psa.

Comments

• Options

yikes. just relooked and the "economy" level is gone!

goes from $99 declared value to $999.

thats a pretty big deal, imo.

are they gonna try a pull a mass "up charge" scenario here at $50 a pop?

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I subbed 137 in June at $9 per card for modern. Today it is $12.

Also for autograph collectors this went away. Thankfully got a lot done this year.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn, they’re “sold out” of any Collectors Club memberships which was what I planned on doing with my next sub. I still have three unredeemed vouchers to use and looks like I’m done with grading after getting priced out. That really sucks.

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Well that was lucky! Finally decided to get a bunch of autos authenticated last month after sitting on them for years.

Bummed the $9 and $10 prices are gone though because I was hoping to build a complete set. Hopefully the quarterly specials continue to offer cheaper options.

Jason

• Options
    edited October 1, 2020 4:59AM

@erikthredd said:
    Damn, they’re “sold out” of any Collectors Club memberships which was what I planned on doing with my next sub. I still have three unredeemed vouchers to use and looks like I’m done with grading after getting priced out. That really sucks.

Looks like the submission I started in the system to use my last three vouchers won’t let me now. I had typed in the card info this past weekend and now when I go to continue it I get sent to an ERROR page telling me to email CS.
    So then I tried starting a new sub and when I got to the point to choose my vouchers I wasn’t allowed to even click on them. This really does suck. I’ve already paid for these and now I’m not being allowed to use them.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@erikthredd said:

Looks like the submission I started in the system to use my last three vouchers won’t let me now. I had typed in the card info this past weekend and now when I go to continue it I get sent to an ERROR page telling me to email CS.
    So then I tried starting a new sub and when I got to the point to choose my vouchers I wasn’t allowed to even click on them. This really does suck. I’ve already paid for these and now I’m not being allowed to use them.

I think that’s just a function of the new systems; the submission forms now have shipping barcodes to expedite the time from arrival to entry into the PSA system.

That coupled with going paperless and the new pricing levels and my guess is it’s probably a coding issue with the vouchers; one that will be fixed.

My guess would be within a week or two you’ll be able to use your vouchers in the new system.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

To add...

...I think the fact that they’ve ‘sold out’ of Collectors Club memberships means they’re probably recalculating and recalibrating the voucher values to be in line with the new pricing.

These are educated guesses and no more, for what it’s worth.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

It makes sense that with the unparalleled demand for their service, that PSA would raise prices.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2020 5:32AM

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    To add...

...I think the fact that they’ve ‘sold out’ of Collectors Club memberships means they’re probably recalculating and recalibrating the voucher values to be in line with the new pricing.

The problem with the Collectors’ Club is that people have been abusing it by stacking up memberships in order to get 15 grades for $249 at a favorable turnaround time. As long as that option exists, suspending the economy level doesn’t mean anything. So yes, they will either have to jack up membership pricing or greatly increase turnaround time.

• Options
    edited October 1, 2020 5:39AM

Also, if they’re going to make the modern Value tier more expensive than the vintage value tier (and I understand the reason), they should change vintage to go up to 1980. 1972 submissions have nothing in common with modern and shouldn’t be punished.

• Options

Hello PSA Customers,

2020 has been an unprecedented year in so many ways. And amidst all the challenges the world is experiencing, the hobby we all love is thriving unlike any other time in history. We stand here at PSA on October 1, 2020 with operational improvements that have nearly doubled our capacity since January. In this same time period, the volume of submissions to PSA has more than doubled. Said differently, despite doubling capacity, turnaround times are growing.

We are continuing to expand capacity through aggressive hiring, Lean Manufacturing principles, and investments in automation efficiencies. We’ve built a new Customer Communication Center on our website to keep you informed on our growth and capacity expansion efforts.

But simply put, all our efforts and investments will not grow our capacity fast enough in the short term.

We must look at other areas, like pricing and service levels, to better align the demand for PSA services with our capacity to deliver those services.

With that in mind, we are announcing several new policies and procedures, all aimed at delivering a better experience to our customers. Here’s what changing:

Collectors Club vouchers are currently sold out. With massive growth in Gold and Platinum Collectors Club memberships, we have oversold our anticipated supply of vouchers. Therefore, we are temporarily suspending the issuance of any new vouchers. There is no restriction on the usage of existing unused vouchers.
    The Economy service level is the most impacted of our services. To best serve the customers who are currently waiting for their Economy orders to be processed, we are temporarily suspending the acceptance of new trading card and dual service Economy submissions. We will continue to monitor progress on Economy orders with an intention to resume this service level soon.
    PSA Value Service is changing in the following ways:
    Minimum order size has been lowered to 20 cards for all categories;
    Prices has been updated to $15 for Ultra-Modern (2017 – present), $12 for Modern (1972 – 2016) and $10 for Vintage (Pre-1972) and TCG;
    Later this quarter, estimated Turnaround Times will be retired in favor of Complete-Through Dates.
    Checks and money orders require additional steps in order processing. As a result, PSA will only accept credit card payments for orders placed through our Online Submission Center.
    PSA is introducing a ‘PSA Dealer’ directory for group submissions (www.PSAcard.com/dealers/groupsubmissions). These dealers have signed a formal code of conduct agreement with PSA and are approved to manage and submit group submissions. We will be working directly with these dealers to ensure our shared customers are in good hands. We strongly encourage collectors to utilize Dealers found within this directory for group submissions.
    Later this quarter, PSA will begin to publicly post “Complete-Through Dates” for every major service level. Customers will be able to see day-to-day progress as we advance through the backlog.
    A lot of updates, with the best interest of our customers at the center of it all. These changes create three paths for PSA customers to take:

If a predictable turnaround time is most important, submit at the Regular service level or higher and you will get the cards back within the shortest possible time period. And once we roll out Complete-Through Dates later this quarter, you’ll be able to follow the progress to see how many days are left until your order is at the front of the line.
    If cost is most important, submit using Value service. We’ve lowered the minimum number of cards in a Value order to make our lowest price points more accessible. We also will be phasing out any estimates of turnaround time for Value orders. Instead, later this quarter we will begin to share Complete-Through dates so you can see true data on the progress with value orders. Although the turnaround time is longer, you will have greater visibility into the process and progress than ever before.
    Our PSA Dealer directory offers a third path. Through the efficiencies of aggregating orders, professional hobby dealers may be able to offer you lower rates for the named service levels. Since your items will be sent to a dealer, your door-to-door time may be longer than using a named service directly with PSA, but likely with less effort on your part, and at a lower cost. PSA dealers are available throughout the United States and in Canada.
    The hobby is stronger than ever and demand for grading services has never been higher. We appreciate the trust collectors have placed in PSA and we are working hard to usher in continued advancements to get your cards back faster.

Enjoy collecting,

Steve

• Options
    edited October 1, 2020 5:53AM

@erikthredd said:

@erikthredd said:

I think that’s just a function of the new systems; the submission forms now have shipping barcodes to expedite the time from arrival to entry into the PSA system.

That coupled with going paperless and the new pricing levels and my guess is it’s probably a coding issue with the vouchers; one that will be fixed.

My guess would be within a week or two you’ll be able to use your vouchers in the new system.

I hope so, we’ll see what happens. I sent PSA an email asking them how to go about using the vouchers and it will probably be at least a week before hearing back.

edit: it’s not just me alone either, there were others on BO that ran into the same problem.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2020 6:53AM

@erikthredd said:

@erikthredd said:

@erikthredd said:

I hope so, we’ll see what happens. I sent PSA an email asking them how to go about using the vouchers and it will probably be at least a week before hearing back.

edit: it’s not just me alone either, there were others on BO that ran into the same problem.

I've already notified people of this issue. Hope to hear back soon.

EDIT - IT is already working on this issue and it should be corrected this morning.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:

@erikthredd said:

@erikthredd said:

@erikthredd said:

Awesome! Thanks

• Options

looks like I will be selling a lot more raw cards at all price levels.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It can play out a few ways, the graded secondary market for cards in the 10-200 range need to go up to justify continuing to grade or if collectors balk, the volume of submissions has to take a substantial hit. all of the margin on the sub $100 cards has been pretty much erased and now in theory, you risk an upcharge to 50 bucks on a card worth 200, I think many will stop playing the game.

or maybe enough people won't care and just like the action

• Options

@AFLfan said:

@erikthredd said:

@erikthredd said:

@erikthredd said:

EDIT - IT is already working on this issue and it should be corrected this morning.

Yes it is,Thanks again!

• Options

" you risk an upcharge to 50 bucks on a card worth 200,"

I dont think that just because the 20.00 499.00 level is closed that it automatically means you will be charged at the next level in this scenario . It just means they are not taking submissions at that level. Im sure they can just charge at the less than 500 level with a little magic.

• Options

To add...

As an FYI to everyone about the collector's club. If you truly need it and not just the vouchers, you can still buy the lowest membership for $59 and get no vouchers but access to the value services.

• Options

There are some group submitters that still have a 20 day option for $25 with a DV of $499. Looks like I might be giving PCSportscards a try soon.

• Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:
    all of the margin on the sub $100 cards has been pretty much erased and now in theory, you risk an upcharge to 50 bucks on a card worth 200, I think many will stop playing the game.

Questions on upcharges - I have sent many cards in bulk submissions that have a raw value of under $99 - such as 1990 Fleer Jordans, etc.... I have never gotten an upgrade charge when they have come back as 10s and they sell for $200-250. I mean, I sent in a Giannis rookie in my last bulk sub that came back as a 10 that sold for $1000 and there was no upgrade charge. I always thought that the $99 value was based on raw and not graded. Is that wrong?

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

@Statman said:

all of the margin on the sub $100 cards has been pretty much erased and now in theory, you risk an upcharge to 50 bucks on a card worth 200, I think many will stop playing the game.

Questions on upcharges - I have sent many cards in bulk submissions that have a raw value of under $99 - such as 1990 Fleer Jordans, etc.... I have never gotten an upgrade charge when they have come back as 10s and they sell for $200-250. I mean, I sent in a Giannis rookie in my last bulk sub that came back as a 10 that sold for $1000 and there was no upgrade charge. I always thought that the $99 value was based on raw and not graded. Is that wrong?

There is SO MUCH confusion on how to use the "value" attribute when creating a submission that I think it's time to come up with a different method. Part of me wants to say that any card that is less than 5 years old gets charged at the same rate since the value can be so fluid. But even for vintage cards, the price difference between 2 grades is so huge that it can have a drastic impact on the grading tier (and God knows I apparently cannot predict within 2 grades always).

Would it be so bad to just charge the fees after cards are graded based on the value of the card once it's graded? Because I feel like right now the people who are trying to be the most honest are getting burned.

And speaking of being honest, let's admit it everyone, if you have a card that's $89 in PSA 9 and $300 in PSA 10, in the back of your mind you feel like submitting it with a value of $89 guarantees that it comes back in a 9 holder :D

• Options

General rule I thought from day one when assessing value was smr nm-mt I thought? Example 1981 Montana 300.00 def not a common and under 99.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

Will you be able to renew your collectors club membership? Still have the 15 vouchers and does not expire until December. Been a member for 20 years or so. Guess Orlando's book sales, "free gift" will have best year ever.

• Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

So, I had never really looked it up before, but there are a couple of FAQs on the Declared Value. It seems like you are kind of supposed to base it on what grade you think it will come out at. However, I had always based it on the following the maximum value if it was lost or damaged by PSA. I only send lower level stuff hoping for 10s (like turning a $2 card into a $100 graded 10). So, if it was lost or damaged to me it is just a $2 card that I can replace. I'm not sending vintage Mantles or Mays cards in. So for me, I will continue to do it that way I have been and I guess if PSA determines I need an upcharge then I'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

Anyway - here is what the FAQs say:

Q: How much do I pay, and what is a Declared Value?

A: Once you are prepared to fill out a submission form, you will need to select a Service Level, which is determined by your Declared Value. The Declared Value is your estimate of the value of the item after it has been assigned a grade by PSA. We understand you will not know the true value of the item until it has been graded, so we ask that you form a realistic, educated estimate based on your own research, keeping in mind that the Declared Value acts as a maximum value for shipping insurance purposes and in the event of a claim related to the item.

To determine your value, we recommend you start by referencing PSA’s Photograde Online to obtain a general, visual illustration of each card grade; this may help you gauge the quality of your card. Based on this assessment, we then advise you to reference various pricing sources to determine the estimated value of your item. We also recommend you refer to a wide variety of trade publications, auction prices realized and/or even contact a dealer in your area (Dealer Directory) for additional assistance.

It is important that you spend the time, utilize the available resources, and take the necessary steps to accurately estimate the Declared Value. The Declared Value you provide establishes:

the maximum item value in the event of a claim connected with that item while at PSA,
    the maximum item value for shipping insurance purposes, and
    the appropriate Service Level and Service Level price.
    Once you arrive at a Declared Value, please refer to the submission form or Pricing for PSA Services to determine the Service Level for which your item is eligible, based on your Declared Value. The price listed will be what you will pay per item.

Q: What happens if my Declared Value is understated?

A: If PSA determines, in its sole discretion and at any point in the process, that the submitted Declared Value has been understated relative to the market value of the item, PSA reserves the right to decline your stated Declared Value. If PSA declines the Declared Value of an item, PSA may require you to pay for the accurate Service Level as a condition of PSA completing the authentication and grading process as to the subject item. If you refuse, or are unable, to pay PSA for the accurate Service Level, then PSA will return the item to you unprocessed at your cost, and you will be charged for the Service Level at which you submitted the item. PSA’s determination that you have understated the Declared Value will affect only the Service Level charge, it will not change the Declared Value for purposes of establishing the maximum item value for claim or shipping insurance purposes.

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

To add...

yeah, you don't run out of paper to create new vouchers on, that's for sure

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

looks like I will be selling a lot more raw cards at all price levels.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It can play out a few ways, the graded secondary market for cards in the 10-200 range need to go up to justify continuing to grade or if collectors balk, the volume of submissions has to take a substantial hit. all of the margin on the sub $100 cards has been pretty much erased and now in theory, you risk an upcharge to 50 bucks on a card worth 200, I think many will stop playing the game.

shikes -- I didn't think about that...sending in a bunch of cards on a bulk sub, and then having upcharges to $50 (instead of upcharged to $20) for those that are worth more than $100? You may have hit on a major impetus for all of this...

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

I wonder if the demand for card saver 1’s will level off or go down.

• Options

The $20 economy service level is just temporarily suspended to help PSA work down the backlog. They've doubled capacity and still can't get caught up. They plan on bringing $20 economy back once they have the backlog worked down to a manageable level.

From the email they sent out. -

"To best serve the customers who are currently waiting for their Economy orders to be processed, we are temporarily suspending the acceptance of new trading card and dual service Economy submissions. We will continue to monitor progress on Economy orders with an intention to resume this service level soon."

• Options

i don't know if i'd say the overall price increases were significant. but the overall restructuring and temporary elimination of services and completion dates quite significant.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayhawke said:
    I wonder if the demand for card saver 1’s will level off or go down.

Glad I just sold my last batch yesterday. :)

Honestly, it can’t increase demand.

• Options
    Blindmelon5Blindmelon5 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

I’m not sure if anyone mentioned it, but just to be clear, there are no mentions of discounts for submitting in bulk/value? Ouch. $12-$15/card essentially prices a majority of subbers out I assume, including me.

• Options

@Blindmelon5 said:
    I’m not sure if anyone mentioned it, but just to be clear, there are no mentions of discounts for submitting in bulk/value? Ouch. $12-$15/card essentially prices a majority of subbers out I assume, including me.

hate to say it, but there are obviously MANY of those willing to pay $20 a card. so much so, that they even eliminated that option and eliminated it quickly.

for any of you still on the fence, i would consider taking advantage of the $12-15 price point while you still can.

i see all of these as even more proof about the quantity of the new money entering the hobby vs bubble talk. yes, still manipulators and shenanigans out there, but overall demand for cards and getting them graded surely isn't a fluke.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like how the email said that they ran out of vouchers like it was a tangible thing that they could not get supply of , instead of stating the obvious that it did not make fiscal sense.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

@rexvos said:
    I like how the email said that they ran out of vouchers like it was a tangible thing that they could not get supply of , instead of stating the obvious that it did not make fiscal sense.

You can run out of capacity. A team can print millions of tickets, but can still sell out of tickets. Being this backed up, they have no more capacity for accepting vouchers.

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2020 5:36PM

@Blindmelon5 said:

AND ME; I've spent the last two months going thru some stuff to put together a 1000+ card order; {which no longer gets special pricing anyway} I may have chosen the $20 option on a few of them; but $50 no thx, if they think I am going to now spend 15-25k in grading fee's, and wait 6 to 8 months, especially considering many 10's are now getting 8's & 9's, in fact, I seen newly graded 6's that look better than some older 8's recently. I'll just price them accordingly raw and let some one else take the risk, I guess if they don't sell, nbd. My guess is, it will reduce their backlog tremendously. Maybe if and when things get to a normal level they will start offering other specials. Absolutely, the demand is there and who can blame any public company for capitalizing on the opportunity. FWIW; I had looked at my previous orders and less than 2 years ago when I was paying $5-6/card I had subbed 6000 cards in a year.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    There are some group submitters that still have a 20 day option for $25 with a DV of $499. Looks like I might be giving PCSportscards a try soon.

when you call them, you will find out out their 20 day option is averaging approximately 16-18 weeks.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wildcats2012 said:

@rexvos said:

You can run out of capacity. A team can print millions of tickets, but can still sell out of tickets. Being this backed up, they have no more capacity for accepting vouchers.

If this was the case they would not be able to accept any more orders period.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

@tonylags said:

@erikthredd said:

when you call them, you will find out out their 20 day option is averaging approximately 16-18 weeks.

I’d be ok with waiting if it means only paying half of what my only other option would be with the regular service at $50 a pop.

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Shipped off my last pre-10/1 sub. Wish i had crammed a few more in before the end of Q3.

Jason

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

I signed up for CC to get a few 100+ card bulk subs in @ $9 level over the course of the year subscription. Now I can't do that? How is this not bait and switch?

• Options

@thehallmark said:
    I signed up for CC to get a few 100+ card bulk subs in @ $9 level over the course of the year subscription. Now I can't do that? How is this not bait and switch?

as with just about everything else in life "terms and availability subject to change"?

• Options

Does anyone think this will help those PSA 8 commons(any vintage year) go up in value? I was buying 1965 BB for less than the grading fee.

• Options

@jayhawke said:
    Does anyone think this will help those PSA 8 commons(any vintage year) go up in value? I was buying 1965 BB for less than the grading fee.

I don’t see why it would help the value of PSA 8s, unless the 8s that are already out there were to dry up completely and demand for more was present.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@jayhawke said:

I don’t see why it would help the value of PSA 8s, unless the 8s that are already out there were to dry up completely and demand for more was present.

Because it will take 6 months for a bulk order to get graded. People may need that card now instead of later. Grading prices have gone up which may discourage people from grading a card that will graded and “8”.

• Options

slightly good news:

max declared value on bulk has been raised from $99 to $199.

its a start! still need something thats not 7 months out thats under $50 though w/o having to resort to a group submitter.

• Options

anyone hearing rumblings of another, much more significant one coming?

march’ish?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Like what how bad?

• Options

like double.