Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1942 wheatback 2 over 4?

Here's one for u guys I've never seen or heard of this one?

Comments

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be honest, the 3rd pic looks more like what you are asking, but all the other pics just looks like junk around the 4 to me.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like something stuck to the coin to me.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Corrosion... Post Mint Damage, not an overdate.

----- kj
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give it a short soak in acetone. If it disappears, then it was "schmutz" stuck to the coin. If its still there, its damage caused by a hit.

If you're going to continue to search for errors, I highly recommend putting some time into studying the minting and die making process. The US mint and Coin Week have some good YouTube videos. Www.doubleddie.com also has some good info. The members who told you it isn't a mint error can do so with confidence because they know and understand the minting process. it takes some time, but the more you learn, the easier it will be to spot real errors and avoid the junk

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    Cul8rCul8r Posts: 164 ✭✭

I have done plenty of research and this is definitely a 2 over the 4 i just can't
    get a good enough pic if it

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cul8r said:
    I have done plenty of research and this is definitely a 2 over the 4 i just can't
    get a good enough pic if it

Send it in for authentication and post the slab images.

• Options

I'm trying with my limited resources. From a straight on view i agree it looks like just some junk on it but when you see it from the slightest of angles it mirrors the 2 directly behind it perfectly.good idea thx

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMG (Post Mint Gunk)

The 4 is damaged.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whats to research? There is not a single Lincoln Cent with a repunched date! It's damaged.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pmd

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

either gunked or PMD those are the two choices you got, not an error by any means

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a chip, probably pmd. Peace

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

• Options

Here's what i think is a better pic so you guys are somewhat
    seeing what i am.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, just no.

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options

Any of you guys live in central texas? Im in cedar creek tx and I'd drive a few hours to have someone look at this thing in person the pictures just aren't seeing what you can when you are actually looking at it!

• Options

I know everybody thinks this is junk on the penny but if you could only see it. It is 100% a 2 stamped on this penny no ifs ands or buts about it.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're positive you have something rare, and don't agree with the comments you received from the members here, then you should send it for authentication. Obviously, you aren't going to change opinions with additional pics.

Send it in and tell us what the experts say.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just based on the pictures of course, what you have is PMD... Send it to our hosts and you will get the same result. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 5:30AM

The shape of the alleged “2”, doesn’t match what it would look like, if it were a Mint-made “2”. That should, though almost certainly won’t, override any imagination or wishes to the contrary.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numismatic Pareidolia

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Pareidolia (/pærɪˈdoʊliə/ parr-i-DOH-lee-ə) is the tendency for incorrect perception of a stimulus as an object, pattern or meaning known to the observer, such as seeing shapes in clouds, seeing faces in inanimate objects or abstract patterns, or hearing hidden messages in music

From Wikipedia :smiley:

Rob
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 7:34AM

@Redglobe said:
    Pareidolia (/pærɪˈdoʊliə/ parr-i-DOH-lee-ə) is the tendency for incorrect perception of a stimulus as an object, pattern or meaning known to the observer, such as seeing shapes in clouds, seeing faces in inanimate objects or abstract patterns, or hearing hidden messages in music

From Wikipedia :smiley:

This seems to occur, only when such perception, if accurate, would result in coins being worth more, not less. 😉 For example, I don’t hear of people “seeing” mint-marks on coins/dates which are more valuable without mint-marks.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ElectricityElectricity Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@Cul8r said:
    Any of you guys live in central texas? Im in cedar creek tx and I'd drive a few hours to have someone look at this thing in person the pictures just aren't seeing what you can when you are actually looking at it!

Here is what you do, put the coin aside for 1 year.

Start studying and practicing numismatics. Try and find a mentor if possible, don’t be scared to ask questions. Participate in the GTG threads here on the forum, ask senior members what they see and how they came to their educated guess. Use all of the PCGS coin facts tools that are available.

Hopefully after a year and many hours of research and practice your “eyes” will be better trained to spot the small details.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...I may take a look at these photos tonight about 55 minutes into an Ambien...should be able to see all sorts of cool things...I will report back later on then ;)

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cul8r said:
    It is 100% a 2 stamped on this penny no ifs ands or buts about it.

If that is the case why are you asking us?

The only thing that is 100% here is that every comment is telling you it is not what you think.

If you are here to learn you would take the expert advise you have been given.
    If you are here to learn you would try an acetone bath and learn from your findings.

Any amount of photos, clear or not will not win your argument.

If you don't like the answers given say "thanks" and send it in for grading and then come back here to post your results.

It is 100% PMD or something on this penny no ifs ands or buts about it.
    I fixed your statement for you ;)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cul8r said:
    I know everybody thinks this is junk on the penny but if you could only see it. It is 100% a 2 stamped on this penny no ifs ands or buts about it.

:D:D
    Sorry, had to chuckle at your defiance.

It is 100% not an extra 2 "stamped on this penny".

Since you refuse to believe the people here, join PCGS, send the coin in, and after spending a 150 or 200 dollars on all of that you will be told what you have already heard here.

By the way, one of the people who posted an answer here is likely the one who will be looking at your coin when you send it in to PCGS.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK
    "By the way, one of the people who posted an answer here is likely the one who will be looking at your coin when you send it in to PCGS."
    Easy problem to solve.....just send it to one of the other TPG's. :D

• Options
    Winchester1873Winchester1873 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭

I believe THE expert on errors has weighed in above, but if I can offer another solution. As far as I know, the Round Rock, TX coin show is still a go for this weekend. There are a few very knowledgeable dealers that will be there to view the coin in hand and give an honest assessment. Here is the link to check the status of the event: https://www.coinshows-usa.com/Central-Texas-Coin-Show.

I hope to see you there!
    Steve

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damage, nothing more. If you are sure it is a multi-million dollar rarity then you should send it in to our host for authentication. It is clear that you don't care about the negative comments the coin received from members of this board.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 12:03PM

@291fifth said:
    Damage, nothing more. If you are sure it is a multi-million dollar rarity then you should send it in to our host for authentication. It is clear that you don't care about the negative comments the coin received from members of this board.

That's a little crude if you ask me. He has not once claimed to have a multi-million dollar rarity. He also has not been rude once to anyone's negative comments. I'm sure he doesn't care too much for the negative comments that it is not mint made, but no one is. But it seems that he is seeing something we are not due to the poor pictures he is posting. If the OP could at least get one close up focused picture that everyone could see, we could better explain why this coin is PMD.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

ok

go on send it in and see what the grading company thinks you will get a in your face blunt, and to the point paid opinion you will not like as it will not agree with what you want the coin to be

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 10:54AM

First, you are suggesting a 4 over 2, not a 2 over 4.

Second, there is no 1942/22 overdate Lincoln. If there were such a die overdate other examples would exist.

If yours is the only one in the world it was made after the coin was minted.

The coin is simply damaged. It looks like it survived a fire.
    Lance.

• Options

U would definitly see it different if you had the penny in hand lance. Trust me

Josh

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file