Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Explanation of 1942 - 2 over 4

Ok im pretty sure i found out what happened or at least i think i did. So i saw a 2 on this penny you fellas saw junk which is what i saw as well at a straight on look. After soaking the penny in acetone the junk came off the penny and absolutely just crushed me but it also left some clues i put on my detective hat and went to work . So here's what i came up with there was a few other spots on the penny that had junk on them i didnt even see till they revealed themselves as nice shiny clean copper underneath them after they fell off. So I looked closer i hope i get these pics rite heres the first one of said penny.
Ok on this pic u can see where the metal tailings have come off of the penny where the 2 was but if you notice directly to the right there's a new shiny spot on the penny slightly above and to the right so i blew it up here's a pic of that spot
So i notice its the shape of something but i don't know what but it intrigues me i dive deeper and ask the internet to show me pocket change from 42and low and behold the first thing that comes up is a dime so i look at it and i see a symbol on it I'm not sure if its a mm or what but it resembles the out line on the new shiny spot i supper imposed it into the the spot it fits perfectly so i think thats interesting.i dont know during what point in the minting prosses metal shavings are created from but somewhere probably when they punch the coins out of the flat plate of materials they're using. I think what happened was some metal shavings got dropped on this Penny somehow it went through a dime process of getting miinted it and it punched in the two and the what I'm assuming it's the makers initials of the dime so you can see on the penny where the tip of the 2 came off where the bottom of the 2 is stamped out in the leg in the 4 and where the sculpters initials are at if that's what they are. To further back up that there was a 2 there i scan the penny and i find this directly in line with where it would be on a 1942 dime behind Lincoln's head.
This my fellow coin hunters would be the L of liberty from the dime which must haven fallen off some time ago because the copper is less shiny there but noticeably cleaner than the original surface of the penny. So u guys were rite it was junk on the penny but so was i there was a 2 stamped there it was just in filings or whatever kind of metal shavings are in the mint. Sorry this was a little winded but i new i wasn't completely crazy when i knew i was looking at a 2 and i was hoping you guys weren't as crazy as i was thinking you were for not seeing what i was.ok what do you guys think? Can you buy that? Or are we still at odds about this situation? I think that's what happened i don't know how or why but i do know what i saw and i think i have some pretty good solid evidence that, that is what happened. I cant wait for you guys to blow my theory out of the water! Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2020 6:47PM

You still have an ordinary 1942 cent. And it would have been better to have continued the discussion in the original thread, rather than start a new one about the same coin.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks weird, must be an error, but who knows how it happened.... :s

OP needs to learn about the minting process and then explain his theory after educating himself.

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still think you should collect enough cans and plastic bottles to save up grading fees (anacs is cheapest) and send it in for authentication. Please post slab shots.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mind can play lots of tricks on you looking at coins. We see what we hope to see. The environment can put some weird damage on coins. We see it on facebook all the time. Objects that you want to see but no one else can.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing but a well worn dinged up 2c wheat.
    Sorry, anything else is just a result of a very active imagination.
    My advice is to use your energy toward learning about the minting process so you can understand what is and is not possible.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the creativity - thoroughly entertaining!

• Options
    Cul8rCul8r Posts: 164 ✭✭

Ok i concede. Any one of you guys has a vast wealth of knowledge that i will most likely never come close to achieving when it comes to coins. I beg any one of you fine gentleman to email me his or her address and i will mail you this penny and you can keep it. I just want somebody who knows coins to see it and after they see it and look at it themselves i think there may be a change of heart

• Options

By the way really cool 43 cooper penny sir .

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is, and always will be, PMD..... You have a great imagination. Please study the minting process, you will learn a lot. Good luck in your searches and with your collection. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to emphasize the recommendation from @ricko If you have an interest in errors/varieties, it's important to learn and understand the minting process. The US Mint and Coin Week have some really good You tube videos. Do some searching and start learning.

Here is a good link on how dies are made
    http://www.doubleddie.com/58201.html

The reason many members have emphatically said that your coin can't be an error, is that they know the minting and die making process. They aren't guessing or trying to be mean.

Learning anything new takes some time but if you enjoy searching for errors, it will be worth it

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2020 5:25AM

@Cul8r said:
    Ok i concede. Any one of you guys has a vast wealth of knowledge that i will most likely never come close to achieving when it comes to coins. I beg any one of you fine gentleman to email me his or her address and i will mail you this penny and you can keep it. I just want somebody who knows coins to see it and after they see it and look at it themselves i think there may be a change of heart

I live in W. Texas, out here in Midland. I would be more than happy to look at your cent and even take some better pics of it. If you want to, then just pm me and I will send you my address.

• Options
    edited October 7, 2020 2:30PM

No I understand u guys aren't trying to be mean I get it. I also understand why nobody will send me there address to mail it to them. So I'm going to put this penny in a little brown bag and tape it to the address rock at the end of my driveway. If someone is close they could come by get it and look at it,then after they have been able to put it under a scope instead of having to rely on my crummy pics and really !lol at it they come back and say it's PMD I'll never mention this penny ever again for the rest of my life I swear!!! Myself and a half dozen other people that I told nothing to and inspected the penny couldn't have all seen the phantom 2 at least one of my friend's would have seen something different almost on purpose just to get under my skin but that wasn't the case everyone of them handed the penny back to me and said there's a 2 on top of the 4 without any prior knowledge about the coin other than the fact that it is a penny. I would love to see it not be there one day. FYI I called yesterday and was told the coin show at the VFW on the 3rd has been cancelled unfortunately.

• Options

Sorry disregard last message I didn't see the previous post I will send the penny to this person and let them evaluate it thx everyone for their time and patience with me I appreciate it.
    Josh

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a good idea to post your addy on a public forum, you may want to edit that out. ;)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Value? Here: 1 to 2 cents,.

eBay? Priceless.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

someone is fixing to get a wake-up call from reality really fast and they will not like it as it's not what they want to hear

coins for sale at link below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yGharuQgUMTSUKav7

• Options

Sux to be that guy Lol!

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but the fact that a 'half dozen' non-numismatics looked
    at your coin, and saw a '2' does not mean there's a digit there.

It means that "The Pareidolia Is Strong With Them"

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is just a damaged Lincoln cent.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

I bumped this for an update coming. New Opti-tech scope pics arriving soon.

• Options

Well I haven't heard from the OP in a couple days. Here's a couple pics I took of his cent. I let him know that he just has a cent with environmental damage.

• Options

Don't forget the PMD also.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Don't forget the PMD also.

There wasn't anything else really worth taking a pic of. Noticeable pmd and environmental damage without even putting the scope to it.

• Options
    edited October 7, 2020 9:55AM

The 4 looks gouged and the 2 looks flattened or shaved.

Good pics, though.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have the rare "Outline of a Llama" cent next to the 2...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file