Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

51 crossover submissions to PCGS from NGC ....only 26 crossed...oh well.

Here is one that did cross.

MS 65

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭

Nice coin. DNC is one of my least favorite 3-letter acronyms.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well hopefully you bought the coin, not the holder.

The game of crossovers befuddles me.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still has more than 25 NGC did not cross coin that I need to sell. I am much more critical on buying NGC coin. NGC photo is really bad.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you specify cross at any grade, or just at same grade (or a mix)?

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:

same grade

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opinions as to a grade for a coin can change over time even though the coin does not unless it has been enhance to influence grading. Grading has a subjective component and that is not going to change. Just for fun, why not check both the NGC and PCGS population reports for the 51 coins you submitted to determine what has been submitted and graded at or near the grade level of those coins? Seems there are resources to really develop an appreciation and understanding for the cross over process for this series. Perhaps you can ultimately evaluate whether crossing is really hindering the concept of permitting the coin to speak volumes for the assigned grade instead of plastic.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@Bob13 said:

same grade

That's actually better cross-over rate than usual for at-grade.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:

@bidask said:

@Bob13 said:

same grade

That's actually better cross-over rate than usual for at-grade.

The "cross-over" rates vary widely (and wildly) by what series you're talking about and who chose the coins to submit for cross-over.

I have read several threads on these very boards where ALL coins from a submission crossed over, some with upgrades from their NGC grades.

I think we often forget how much the cross-over success rate depends on which coins are submitted. If the submitter has an "eye" for a certain look of coins that PCGS tends to not like, then DNCs are expected. If the submitter has a similar "eye" to PCGS, the cross-overs seem to be very likely. Collect coins (regardless of plastic) that are superior for their assigned grade, and the cross-over rates are very high.

In the end, the coin is the coin, no matter in which flavor of plastic it resides. I find cross-overs to be a waste of money - but I get that some people want to put coins in Registry sets or have some perceived increase in value in certain plastic. To each his/her own.

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options

@brg5658 when I said it's better than the usual rate (average), i was referring to the published PCGS statistics for cross-overs. We're all experienced enough in the process to be able to make a comment about total population statistics without having to re-hash all the common sense caveats and biases.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2020 8:31AM

@TwoKopeiki said:
    @brg5658 when I said it's better than the usual rate (average), i was referring to the published PCGS statistics for cross-overs. We're all experienced enough in the process to be able to make a comment about total population statistics without having to re-hash all the common sense caveats and biases.

I am not aware of a site where PCGS publishes cross-over rates for NGC specifically, or for world versus USA coinage. It's not surprising the PCGS crossover rates overall are much lower than 26/51 in the OP, because PCGS takes crossovers from a lot of second-tier TPGs like ICG, ANACS, etc.

-Brandon

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

I don't play the crossover game honestly. Just a hobby for me

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

I'm surprised my last sentence gave you so much difficulty.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Playing the "opinions" game is expensive.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2020 9:26AM

@TwoKopeiki said:
    I'm surprised my last sentence gave you so much difficulty.

If you’re talking to me, no difficulty at all. I was simply noting you are quoting an irrelevant number to make any valid comparison.

-Brandon

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

The crossover stats might as well be NGC specific. The number of attempted crosses from other TPGs are proportionately very small, for obvious reasons.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2020 12:23PM

@scubafuel said:
    The crossover stats might as well be NGC specific. The number of attempted crosses from other TPGs are proportionately very small, for obvious reasons.

Firstly, how do you know this? Where is that reported?

Secondly, I would guess that World (non-USA) coinage crossovers make up a small fraction of the total crossovers. Again, not reported anywhere that I know of.

-Brandon

• Options

@bidask said:
    But this one crossed ...PCGS 66 .....mintage 66,000

That is stunning! :heart::+1::sunglasses:

-Brandon

• Options

@bidask said:
    But this one crossed ...PCGS 66 .....mintage 66,000

Gorgeous example.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

"51 crossover submissions to PCGS from NGC ....only 26 crossed...oh well."

How many did you expect to cross?

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@MasonG said:

I was hoping for 80 %

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many did you expect to cross?> @bidask said:

@MasonG said:

I was hoping for 80 %

So you're sending in coins you don't expect to cross? Why?

• Options

@MasonG said:

How many did you expect to cross?> @bidask said:

@MasonG said:

I was hoping for 80 %

So you're sending in coins you don't expect to cross? Why?

You never know which coins they will cross
    or not

I used their world coin crossover special

$10 cost if the coin doesn’t cross

That’s worth it to me