Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1914 barber half from coworker’s father’s estate

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coworker of mine recently lost her father at 93. Her mother had passed many years ago but worked at a bank, saving interesting coins. While going through the fathers estate, they found the can of coins kept by her mother.
Anyhow, there were 6 or so common Morgan and peace dollars and a few silver halves..... and this.

Comments

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

For comparison:

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

YIKES!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

As mentioned, appears counterfeit.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... appears to be cast.... may or may not be silver, check that out. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be counterfeit or exposed to a strong corrosive chemical. Some of the lettering is thin which commonly shows when the metal gets eaten away.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

could be either real or fake chances are good for either one

advice: have an expert look it over and that way you have some idea of what you have

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 7:07AM

:o

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting fake.

I like it

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    interesting fake.

I like it

Though you won't get the 1914 P money for it, the coin does retain some value as an interesting counterfeit.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 9:39AM

A bit before my great great grandfather started his mint in 1917 so I know it wasn't his creation.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a banker once that was an avid coin collector (my loss) and he also snagged all the counterfeits he could. He was the bank founder & president and all the employees were well aware to get the good stuff to him. He died long ago and I often wondered what happened to his "collection" of fakes.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going to buck the consensus and say it is a real heavily circulated and fire damaged half that has toned a bit since the fire. That said if it was fake I wouldn’t be shocked

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll leave my previous post up but the more I look at it I think the Obv letters say cast fake

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be either a cast fake or an acid etched genuine coin. Close, in person, analysis would be needed. Regardless, it probably isn't worth bothering with.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silverpop said:
    could be either real or fake chances are good for either one

advice: have an expert look it over and that way you have some idea of what you have

How can chances be good for “either one”?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the 1914 half dollar is genuine, but heavily wire-brushed (which forms ripples on the surface).
    As such, the value is considerably limited. But I believe that it is still made of silver, at least.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possible fire damage....

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 4:43PM

I would presume that a cast fake would have some sort of pitting. I'm in the damaged coin group. Also, can cast counterfeits have die cracks?

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the coin rings true, it's probably a real coin that has been acid etched. And if that's the case, it's likely that it was intentionally bathed in acid to hide evidence of a removed mintmark. Not that we'll ever know for sure, but that's what I'd do. ;)

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pmd in the extreme. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 9:18PM

Weird! Possibly real, and pitted from being buried?

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

But it is en fuego!! B)

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eldorado9 said:
    Not fire damaged:

I'm impressed with your work! I didn't think it would take color that well, and the surface pitting is much less obvious!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

Fake.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@Eldorado9 said:
    Not fire damaged:

I'm impressed with your work! I didn't think it would take color that well, and the surface pitting is much less obvious!

Your a funny one Eureka! Yes, it's a special ceramic glaze I use, bake for 1 day at 2000 degrees and wala.....a Proof 67+ CAC'ed Barber!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBN said:

@Treashunt said:
    interesting fake.

I like it

Though you won't get the 1914 P money for it, the coin does retain some value as an interesting counterfeit.

of course not the 1914's value, but still an interesting fake.

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file