Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you regard collectibles as an "asset class"

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

This letter was a recent theme of NGC head Mark Salzberg: https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/8523/

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the odd category of asset, but not investment.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2020 10:19AM

I think many, if not most, collectors do view numismatic collectibles as assets. I am no so sure that serious investors (i.e., having no particular interest in numismatics) view them this way, largely because their marketplace values can be unpredictable, tax issues, liquidity problems, and the loss in value upon purchasing at retail pricing.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

For most people they are a depreciating asset class, or at best a "store of value." My collection is for my enjoyment and I try to buy right so if the day comes that I have need to sell, there is some value in it. For others, coins/collectibles might represent more than disposable income purchases and be regarded as actual assets in their overall portfolios.
    But yes, I do consider collectibles an "asset class" if there's any liquidity to them.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely! Some are more liquid than others but if you have a significant collectible xill croon then it should be tracked and counted as an asset. I label my bullion as more liquid than my regular collection but they both have value.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I consider my PM stacks assets.... My collection is my hobby. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course they are an asset! Those who think they are a liability? I will assume your liability! :#

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically everything you own is an asset. The trick is to be able to liquidate them when needed and hopefully at least recover your initial spend. I don’t factor my collection in when I look at my retirement funds or account balances, but I do factor them in contingency situations like I would my camera equipment and electronics.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say yes.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

since much of what I own is near bullion, as asset for sure.

Vplite99
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, although I buy them because I like them, not as an investment. I believe various of my items will produce hefty profits, and the majority of items will produce losses. Not surprisingly it's the rarer items that will produce the profits and the more generic stuff that will produce losses. In any case, I've had a lot of fun collecting them.

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

they are certainly used as collateral in financing transactions --> so why not an asset class?

• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2020 12:35PM

I would almost bet that if a person was sued for a large amount of money and the court came after assets, they would come after your hobbies also. So yes, I consider anything that I outright own is an asset, regardless of its value.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes - they have value and are relatively liquid, but I collect for fun.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you regard collectibles as an "asset class"

I'll leave the definition nuances to someone else, but I just used proceeds from selling some of my collection to off-set the cost of building a 2-car garage. I can't imagine being able to do that if I consider some of the things people collect.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2020 1:59PM

Edited because not enough coins or medals in my original asset post. o:)

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course it's an asset. If you don't think so, consider what happens in a divorce or upon settlement of an estate. For the books, I usually figure about 70% of actual market value to be on the safe side.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

IRS gives collectible assets their own special tax rate.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

Apparently our President considers his hair an asset, too, so he deducts $70,000/year business expense cost to keep it looking good... o:)

PS, the cuttings could also be collectable assets and maybe another tax deduction if sold for a loss, depending on the basis. LOL

Clinton got his haircut done at the end of a runway. I still like to collect coin

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trying to turn it political eh? @HeatherBoyd

@Goldminers said:

Apparently our President considers his hair an asset, too, so he deducts $70,000/year business expense cost to keep it looking good... o:)

PS, the cuttings could also be collectable assets and maybe another tax deduction if sold for a loss, depending on the basis. LOL

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course collectibles are an asset class.

Like all kinds of class, levels and Quality vary

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2020 1:25PM

Of course collectibles are assets, so is my car and my couch. They are certainly a class of assets in every definition which reshapes the context to be about their status as an investment vehicle. As Mark states, collectibles in a variety of forms exhibit similar characteristics and they are tradeable. Whether they make good investments is a different question.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, of course coins are an asset class, and I've learned many lessons.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a friend got divorced his coin collection was considered a marital asset. The wife's jewelry was personal property, not a marital asset.

Vplite99
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think of my stacks of silver and gold as assets and a hedge to some extent.
    I also think of my coins as an asset but I value them at about half of market value.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2020 1:54PM

Coins are an asset, but there is a large difference between asset and investment. I think of any gold or silver stacking and those who only buy for resale value as investors or as investment assets. Collectable coins are usually bought at retail and thus are prone to go down in value making them a poor investment choice most of the time.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a friend got divorced his coin collection was considered a marital asset. The wife's jewelry was personal property, not a marital asset.

hence, the saying "What's hers is hers and what's mine is hers." :#

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely an asset. Good or bad investment all depends.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 8:36AM

Asset class - Inventory. I regard the numismatics as an inventory class w potential retail 50-100 pct above cost, moved even some for more than that. An investment / your kidding lol - see PCGS 3000.

A mod on coin talk said 95 pct collectors lose money / I would tend to agree. Mainly I would say RCI is all about timing.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Asset class - Inventory. I regard the numismatics as an inventory class w potential retail 50-100 pct above cost, moved even some for more than that. An investment / your kidding lol - see PCGS 3000.

A mod on coin talk said 95 pct collectors lose money / I would tend to agree. Mainly I would say RCI is all about timing.

It's all about timing, if you buy right, especially nice no problem coins and other collectibles, you will do well.

Apparently there are many people buying the hype, I checked with NGC today and was told that they are still opening mail from September 15th, so expect big delays.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether they are liquid is a different question.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:

Every coin is liquid.

It just depends on what you are willing to take.

Or let the market decide with a 99 cent start auction.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps an asset class but I treat as a hobby because I don’t depend on the disposition of my coins to live on .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2020 12:00PM

My takeaway from the article:

There’s a baseball player I’ve never heard of named “Mike Trout” and someone paid $3.936 MILLION for his baseball card from 2009. 🤦🏼

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    jrrgdjrrgd Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Ultra rare collectables - 1913 Liberty Nickel. Honus Wagner Tobacco card...there are a few that I would consider true investments.

I see my coins as a cheap hobby. not because I dont spend a lot of money on them...but because they retain their value or slightly increase in value over time

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@fathom said:

Every coin is liquid.

It just depends on what you are willing to take.

Or let the market decide with a 99 cent start auction.

That is your definition. Taking a significant loss on an asset is not a liquid asset by my definition.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    Several of mine are a liability.

I lose money on every coin purchase or sale, but make up for it in VOLUME . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

But seriously. The outflow is logged as an expense. This expense gains a latent asset, much as a car, firearms, boats, etc.

When you part with the latent asset, you will realize a gain or loss. Latent assets are sometimes called "property" or "chattel."

Terms will be the death of us . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file