Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is insanity!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    You forgot to mention it was a AU58+ with toning .....

Expensive plus. Toning looks meh. 🤔

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    You forgot to mention it was a AU58+ with toning .....

Not all toning is viewed positively. I see it as neutral at best.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not crazy about the toning. That said, this thread title is almost like me saying I sold a PCGS MS65 1941 Mercury Dime for $1800 without saying it was the top pop DDO.

The + is a major omission that is very important to Everyman Registry sets.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • SnapsSnaps Posts: 188 ✭✭✭✭

There are only two 1964 Kennedy Half Dollar at AU58+. That probably had a lot to do with the price.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58 Kennedy half: $15.00
    Add a +: $250.00

Interesting.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's low compared to the AU 58+ Franklins

May 2020: 1951 AU58+ sold on EBay for $1,520.
    Sept 2020: Second 1951 AU58+ sold at Great Collections for $1,306.25

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1043963/1951-franklin-half-au58-real-money

@U1chicago said:
    That's low compared to the AU 58+ Franklins

May 2020: 1951 AU58+ sold on EBay for $1,520.
    Sept 2020: Second 1951 AU58+ sold at Great Collections for $1,306.25

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1043963/1951-franklin-half-au58-real-money

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have got to stop leaving those in the bucket at the B&M.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registry Fever. 🤒

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

How much in Registry Points the the plus grade add?

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass. Some are best to be left alone jmo

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o

• ElectricityElectricity Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

Just enough in some instances to put your set on top. Hence the moon money for the + grade. I have to admit I would pay a lot extra as well for some of the AU58+ graded coins in my series.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

More money than sense. We seem to be seeing a lot of this in the collecting world these days.

All glory is fleeting.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always suspected that Wayne and Garth were numismatists

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That specific coin would be 'melt value' to me.....Not a registry player...and IMO it is ugly. Cheers, RickO

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

The registry is a powerful drug.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Making a 58+ is a kin to hitting a bullseye in darts dead center or hitting the jackpot on a 1 armed bandit. People may think they are easy to make but they are not!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Making a 58+ is a kin to hitting a bullseye in darts dead center or hitting the jackpot on a 1 armed bandit. People may think they are easy to make but they are not!

But why should they care or pay big premiums for such a thing? I just don't buy into the whole registry bit. To me the coin is a melt value ultra-common date Kennedy half and nothing more.

All glory is fleeting.

The 1951 Franklin is a pop 2 in the AU58+ grade, so theoretically if you have this coin right now in your registry set, only you and one other person could have the top set. It’s an ego thing and a sense of accomplishment for some guys.

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    That specific coin would be 'melt value' to me.....Not a registry player...and IMO it is ugly. Cheers, RickO

Agree, more than ugly to me

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2020 7:29AM

@Snaps said:
    There are only two 1964 Kennedy Half Dollar at AU58+. That probably had a lot to do with the price.

"Everyman Registry" probably hit the nail on the head.

1964 Kennedy Half Dollar 50C PCGS AU58+ Everyman Registry Rainbow Toning TV

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Electricity said:

@abcde12345 said:

Just enough in some instances to put your set on top. Hence the moon money for the + grade. I have to admit I would pay a lot extra as well for some of the AU58+ graded coins in my series.

$256 isn't actually that much to be able to claim the top spot in the registry.

@Zoins said:

@Electricity said:

@abcde12345 said:

$256 isn't actually that much to be able to claim the top spot in the registry.

I agree with you 100%.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

Yes, making a 58+ is very hard. I have only made four and there were a whole lot of failures. A good dealer friend showed me a coin over a year ago that was in a PCGS 58 holder. We both agreed that it was a lock for a 58+. We agreed on a purchase price if he got it into a 58+ holder. He has failed several times already.
    I saw the 1964 Kennedy and thought about it a little. If the obverse had a little more flash I would have paid more than $256.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    I saw the 1964 Kennedy and thought about it a little. If the obverse had a little more flash I would have paid more than $256.

i'd bet it has a bit more pizzaz in-hand. also, if one were to go the conservation route and still be able to keep 58+ or tolerate a little risk that it wouldn't, this would have been a key coin for such a thing. some people don't want all that back and forth and i appreciate that.

to me the pr1, everyman 58+, ms60 and ms70, finest knows etc and the proof counterparts are obvious targets for people to focus on. the premiums have impressed me for many years. saw some (common date?) au58+ indians years ago on GC that brought 4 figures.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

New heights.

HE>I

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the coin is all right and has decent eye appeal but the funny thing is that 99/100 times this coin gets graded as a 3 or 4, which it appears to really be, despite the label.
    So the new owner paid $250 for a paper label, essentially.
    Which is really no concern to me.... it's not my money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file