Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just received a new numismatic book in the mail, The "Medals of the U.S. Mint" by R.W. Julian.

And upon opening the book on page 2 it is signed by Stuart Whitman dated 4/26/86 Milwaukee . Is this of any significance? Cool to me but maybe its no big deal to most.:)

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you feel the signature is by the actor Stuart Whitman. You can compare many available signatures online. A more secure version was(it compares to several alike):
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2020 10:38AM

I was not speaking of the actor, I assumed there was a Stuart Whitman numismatist or publisher, my bad. Different signature, but thanks.
    After studying the signature, I will have to admit I don't know what the hell it is.LOL

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stuart Whitman was a fine gentleman and a true numismatist. He was from Ohio and I knew him when I worked for Coin World in the 1970's and for ANACS after that. He had a wonderful collection of Bust half dollars, and was a scholar of the early U.S. Mint. He published articles in Coin World and Numismatic Scrapbook Magazine and I assume in other places. You can probably find article by him in the index of The Numismatist.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a very nice guy - and he collected Bust Half dollar Errors too !

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2020 10:35PM

Stewart Witham (not Stuart Whitman) authored the biography of engraver John Reich, and was a bust half dollar collector and researcher. Search NNP.

Julian's book is on US Mint medals is excellent.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nysoto said:
    Stewart Witham (not Stuart Whitman) authored the biography of engraver John Reich, and was a bust half dollar collector and researcher. Search NNP.

Ah, you are right. That’s what happens when you don’t see someone for almost 40 years.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's cool!

• Options

Here is the signature in the book, I believe I screwed up and got it wrong, I have no idea whose signature this is, sorry for the wild goose chase.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

R.W. Julian was one of my favorite numismatic researcher/writers.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    He was a very nice guy - and he collected Bust Half dollar Errors too !

way cool

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

R.W. Julian was one of my favorite numismatic researcher/writers.

What happened? Why is he no longer one of your favorites?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot decipher that signature.... However, I can see how you arrived at your interpretation....Good luck with your search...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was the most expensive book ever produced by TAMS and did not sell well at the time due to the price and handling of the project. The complete back story of the book is informative to potential authors and researchers and is best told in person. The work is still a well made treasure trove of information and now sells beyond its weight..

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can find, the companion book by the late Rich Herzog, that would help you too. Since it’s 35 years old, the prices are out of date, but the mintage figures are informative.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    If you can find, the companion book by the late Rich Herzog, that would help you too. Since it’s 35 years old, the prices are out of date, but the mintage figures are informative.

What is the name, I thought Rich just did counterstamped coinage via Brunk?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@trueblood said:

@BillJones said:

It was a paperback book Herzog published no long after the Julian book was released. The title is “Rich Hartzog’s 1986 Price Guide for ‘Medals of the United States Mint the First Century.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@trueblood said:

@BillJones said:

It was a paperback book Herzog published no long after the Julian book was released. The title is “Rich Hartzog’s 1986 Price Guide for ‘Medals of the United States Mint the First Century.”

Thank you, I will look for it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file