Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hey Mr. Eureks it crossed !

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 20, 2020 1:40PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Mintage 18,000 Strasbourg Mint

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! Rare, too.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crossed what? A dealer's table, TPG?

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:

PCGS 64

• Options

@bidask said:

@thefinn said:

PCGS 64

Frrom?

thefinn
  • Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful and scarce 1803-1804 (An 12) 5 Francs from Strasbourg. Congratulations, that is an incredible piece.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, great piece!

• Options

@thefinn said:

@bidask said:

@thefinn said:

PCGS 64

Frrom?

Clearly from N64 as seen from the first picture in the OP

• Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

Is the image in OP from NGC's Photo Vision? quite awful I think

• Options

@atom said:
    Is the image in OP from NGC's Photo Vision? quite awful I think

I dont think so

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shows nice gold luster in Nap's hair!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2020 10:03AM

@MrEureka said:
    Nice coin! Rare, too.

How rare? If compared with another crown sized coin of its era for example. Low or high 4 digits? Low 5 digits? RR? RRR? RRRR? 😂😂

If that spot on the reverse (on the letter C of FRANCS) could be removed by conservation or other, it would have been a 65 I assume. But what if there’s a black hole underneath? ;)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

@SYRACUSIAN said:

@MrEureka said:
    Nice coin! Rare, too.

How rare? If compared with another crown sized coin of its era for example. Low or high 4 digits? Low 5 digits? RR? RRR? RRRR? 😂😂

To put it in perspective, NGC has graded 31 AN 12-A's, of which 10 graded MS. They've only graded 1 AN 12-BB in all grades combined.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2020 8:09AM

@MrEureka said:

@SYRACUSIAN said:

@MrEureka said:
    Nice coin! Rare, too.

To put it in perspective, NGC has graded 31 AN 12-A's, of which 10 graded MS. They've only graded 1 AN 12-BB in all grades combined.

Do you think NGC populations (or NGC+PCGS pops) graded have any bearing on actual surviving coins? I am always very careful making the leap that "rarity" has anything to do with slabbed examples. There are millions and millions of wonderful pristine coins in Europe sans plastic. Just wondering about your perspective.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options

@brg5658 said:

@MrEureka said:

@SYRACUSIAN said:

@MrEureka said:
    Nice coin! Rare, too.

Do you think NGC populations (or NGC+PCGS pops) graded have any bearing on actual surviving coins? I am always very careful making the leap that "rarity" has anything to do with slabbed examples. There are millions and millions of wonderful pristine coins in Europe sans plastic. Just wondering about your perspective.

It's a useful data point. More for relative rarity than absolute rarity, but still useful. Global auction records are also very useful on more expensive coins. Not so much for the cheaper ones, because they are more likely to trade privately.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to mention that the NGC Census is notoriously FUBAR particularly for coins that are not regular issues.

I am convinced that this is because they do not have the concept of a coin number to keep things organized like PCGS does.

• Options

I was only joking!

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

Ooops I thought I was sending a PM. Sorry! 🥴

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

@SYRACUSIAN said:

Is Happy Hour in Athens over yet?

Andy Lustig

• Options

@brg5658 said:

@MrEureka said:

@SYRACUSIAN said:

@MrEureka said:
    Nice coin! Rare, too.

“There are millions and millions of wonderful pristine coins in Europe _sans plastic”. ...

??

Please give some examples thank you

• Options

@bidask said:

@brg5658 said:

@MrEureka said:

@SYRACUSIAN said:

@MrEureka said:
    Nice coin! Rare, too.

“There are millions and millions of wonderful pristine coins in Europe _sans plastic”. ...

??

Almost every museum and private collection in Europe is not slabbed. Is that enough of an example for you?

I try to be realistic and less USA-centric about the rest of the world’s collecting habits.

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options

@brg5658

??

Almost every museum and private collection in Europe is not slabbed. Is that enough of an example for you?

I try to be realistic and less USA-centric about the rest of the world’s collecting habits.

I get that .

But to say there “millions and millions” is not true !

• Options

@bidask said:

@brg5658

??

I get that .

But to say there “millions and millions” is not true !

Ok, then thousands upon thousands. It’s called hyperbole. The point still stands.

I wasn’t attacking your coin, I was making a point about assuming anything meaningful about slabbed coin numbers compared to the larger world of coins.

-Brandon

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@thefinn said:

@bidask said:

@thefinn said:

PCGS 64

Frrom?

Clearly it showed an NGC label, but not mention if that was coming or going.
    Not a Wolverine.

thefinn
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2020 2:35AM

@MrEureka said:

@SYRACUSIAN said:

Is Happy Hour in Athens over yet?

It is....🥴🤥🤐

However, on the above deep thoughts, I agree with Mr Eureka, pop reports are a good indication,and that auction records are also a great indication. I also agree with bidask, whose coin is terrific, çongrats on yet another one, who said
    « millions and millions (of coins _sans plastic ») are an exaggeration ». It is!

Museums is another story. To my knowledge, the ANA does not have any slabbed coins on display either, from the Bass collection for example, and the same goes for European museums.
    I haven’t been to a US numismatic museum so far.

Finally, I’m not so sure that private transactions concern only cheaper coins, they concern very expensive too, but quite often they too are slabbed! Otherwise their price wasn’t probably as high as if they got in a plastic graded 65 and 66, or 64 and below for very very rare coins. What a merry go round!

On behalf of many Europeans and non Europeans, and after visiting a lot of shows in London, Berlin, Munich etc (not nearly as many as MrEureka, I’d need 5-6 lives to come close and I do not think that I am a cat), a lot of slabs are moved around or sold at European auctions that are actually setting new records too and enough with this hypocrisy that Europeans prefer their coins raw, I certainly don’t, unless it’s a pocket coin, or a holed coin that I use as a key ring, (holed crowns make terrific key rings, in fact I have 5 or 6 for different sets of keys and I am negotiating a holed French Charles 5F to add to my sets, key sets, not coin sets), and why do you think that PCGS has an office in Paris?

Speaking of which, next week is Paris express, and the president of PCGS Europe along with a grader or two are visiting their main Athens authorized dealer for the fourth time tomorrow morning and for 36 hours until Saturday evening, accepting submissions, giving free pre grades
    and all sorts of things that the company does at shows, then next week the US graders ( some of them, they have several, for different shifts, different series etc), will be grading everything that’s been submitted to PCGS Paris within 5 days after which we get our coins (and banknotes!) back, in record time.

Turnaround in PCGS Europe is always amazingly quick, even though they send the coins to Newport Beach for grading and encapsulation and back, (Greek) rates are €15 for every coin after 1954, €22 for all others (non gold), but not exceeding €3000 or something, a special and cheap rate for gold sovereigns (€35 maybe?, we love hoarding gold sovereigns since WW2) and more that I cannot remember by heart.

And that includes shipping too, return shipping! If one goes through said (or another) PCGS authorized dealer, I have stopped my Collector’s Universe subscription over a decade ago!

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2020 2:50AM

@thefinn said:

@Boosibri said:

@thefinn said:

@bidask said:

@thefinn said:

PCGS 64

Frrom?

Not a Wolverine.

The title said “Hey Mr Eureks ,it crossed “, the first image was of the coin with its NGC label and the next image of the exact same coin was in all likelihood a Trueview without the lettering and such, and without a grade, which translates into (it crossed to a) PCGS MS64 , Mrs Wolverine. 😉

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2020 3:52AM

@thefinn said:

@Boosibri said:

@thefinn said:

@bidask said:

@thefinn said:

PCGS 64

Frrom?

Not a Wolverine.

Not a Wolverine. Couldn't afford the tuition.

• Options

@thefinn it would be heresy to suggest on these boards that anyone would ever cross a coin from PCGS to NGC.

:lol:

-Brandon

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sort of a comical thread... I submitted a coin to PCGS and while in PGCS plastic, I submitted the coin to NGC so it seems this make fall within the scope of "crossing" as defined by some. I mention this here and now with an explanation... The coin was incorrectly labeled and coded as environmental damage which was simply not consistent with light flecking characteristics that many coins from 17th and early 18th century English exhibit. NGC straight graded the coin which was appropriate. There is no fear here of heresy charges...

Crossing and plastic is overrated. It is interesting to see opinions change as a result of a change in plastic even though the coin, in most instances (unless enhanced), remains the same.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited September 24, 2020 4:03PM

Well it is nice to know both NGC and PGGS view the coin in the OP as having the same
    grade

Does that make it worth more ?

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@thefinn said:

@Boosibri said:

@thefinn said:

@bidask said:

@thefinn said:

PCGS 64

Frrom?

Not a Wolverine.

Not a Wolverine. Couldn't afford the tuition.

Jus jabbing at the Spartan logo.

thefinn
  • Options

@bidask said:
    Well it is nice to know both NGC and PGGS view the coin in the OP as having the same
    grade

Actually, less. Is it for sale?

Andy Lustig

• Options

@MrEureka said:

@bidask said:
    grade

Actually, less. Is it for sale?

ah you are kidding me

Is it worth as much as a bust dollar in choice uncirculated given its low mintage ?

Now I’m just kidding too 😊

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin and grade

• Options
    Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2020 12:01AM

Just for stuff and giggles you should submit to the Collection Ideale at CGB. I can get you an introduction to someone there now if you don't already know them. Owner Michelle Prieur, whom I knew from the 1980's, passed away suddenly a few years ago.

• Options

@Que_sai_je said:
    Just for stuff and giggles you should submit to the Collection Ideale at CGB. I can get you an introduction to someone there now if you don't already know them. Owner Michelle Prieur, whom I knew from the 1980's, passed away suddenly a few years ago.

Thank you I sent Joel a picture.