Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would PCGS "PL" Early Gold?

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 9, 2020 1:12PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've seen the PL designation work its way into a few of the liberty head types and recently into the classic heads. Would PCGS "PL" an early gold piece?

As I write this, I do not recall seeing any in the populations. I know early gold is not known for being PL, but there are a few early strikes and rare variety pieces that I would find deserving if PCGS would recognize them as such.

I have a draped bust half eagle that is an R7 Variety that looks like a proof since the there were very few struck and the dies were very fresh and polished. Frost on the high points and fully reflective fields. MS and CAc approved. It is the highest graded of the variety known, unless the Bass specimen is finer. I sit here considering whether to send it in or has PCGS predetermined that early gold does not come "PL".

Thoughts?

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2020 1:47PM

Yes.
    As one recent example I saw: 1831 $2 1/2 MS66+ Prooflike PCGS. CAC....

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it in.

Do they gave a designation review for such things where you don't have to pay for a full regrade but inclusion of PL if warranted?

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Send it in.

Do they gave a designation review for such things where you don't have to pay for a full regrade but inclusion of PL if warranted?

I could be mistaken, but think that option was discontinued long ago.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:

@Boosibri said:
    Send it in.

I could be mistaken, but think that option was discontinued long ago.

I think you are right...when I looked I didn't see it anywhere. Perhaps all bucketed under "Reconsideration" or "Regrade", all of which capitalize on the added value of the designation or grade via the Guarantee Premium.

• ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like Heritage sent the Simpson 1831 $2.5 back in to get the PL designation. Making it the first early gold example. The coin looks deserving. Although, I see it as incentive to dip any coins that may be MS with original surfaces (if this hasn't been performed already). My HE is about as PL as I've seen while still having originality. I'll try at FUN to see if original surfaces and PL can co-exist.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2020 2:55PM

They began recently (within the last year or so). Many may not have been resubmitted yet so populations will be low or non-existent.

• earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too noticed that Simpson's coin was designated PL. I have an 1834 Capped bust that was previous thought to be a proof. Not sure it would add any value but i might try to have it given the designation.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some pictures of these possible PL coins would help us to give informed opinions... Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Some pictures of these possible PL coins would help us to give informed opinions... Cheers, https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/25223396_large.jpg

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin.... obverse looks like it may go PL... reverse looks a bit weak.... Cheers, RickO

• ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

For reference:

I don't buy or like dipped coins. I'm sure this would be more "PL" if it took a bath, but that won't happen.

@ricko said:
    Nice looking coin.... obverse looks like it may go PL... reverse looks a bit weak.... Cheers, RickO

Agree. The obverse is more reflective. The coin is ex Eliasberg and was previously thought to be a proof. I don't think it will get the PL designation but it is one i will try for at a show when things get back to normal. There is no risk or cost as i understand it. Also, i would like to get the pedigree on the holder. Thanks

@earlyAurum said:

@ricko said:

Agree. The obverse is more reflective. The coin is ex Eliasberg and was previously thought to be a proof. I don't think it will get the PL designation but it is one i will try for at a show when things get back to normal. There is no risk or cost as i understand it. Also, i would like to get the pedigree on the holder. Thanks

Getting the pedigree on the holder is always good in my mind. I try and do so for all of my coins which have a traceable history to an important collection.

• KoveKove Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭

Bear in mind that JA is very tough on PL designations. If PCGS gave it PL, it's no sure bet to CAC with the new designation.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kove said:
    Bear in mind that JA is very tough on PL designations. If PCGS gave it PL, it's no sure bet to CAC with the new designation.

Maybe on non-Morgan type, but on Morgans he is too lenient if anything.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

So far, in my experience, PCGS is very tight on awarding PL designations. I'm one out of four on some good candidates.

Keoj

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file