Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When you're HOT you're HOT!

Comments

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh they're everywhere. The easiest way to do it is hunt for the stuff they grow on. 99% of the time they grow on the same stuff. It's much easier looking for that type of decay or moisture or grass, etc. than it is looking where they'll never grow. I find them from Depoe Bay up through Bellingham WA.

The monsters I find always grow in low lying dunes with mixed pine, tall sedge and knee high grass. Generally right where that starts to break (or dry). Like right about where small ferns just start to tickle your boots. That's perfect for them. Find that habitat where tree roots might be and you will find them all day. They are part of the super organism so it takes a little tree hunting too.

Boletes are like nature's MSG. They can make the nastiest of meats taste like heaven. Five grams and a few cups of water is about 2-3 fresh ounces. So they go a long way and taste great on their own.

I have a literal tote left. Be happy to send to anyone here with a shipping address. Super awesome thing to have handy right now. They are delicious. I've been eating them all year. Can't wait for what this year's will taste like.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@metalmeister said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    View from our front door :o

Looks like San Diego county?

Yes it is

Japatul Valley

Its getting way bigger

Hope the wind direction blows in your favor. Stay safe.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@fastfreddie said:
    74 in the D

Are we supposed to know what "the D" is?

The "D" is Detroit. This evening it is down into the 60's. A great night for walking, which I just did.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@PerryHall said:

@fastfreddie said:
    74 in the D

The "D" is Detroit. This evening it is down into the 60's. A great night for walking, which I just did.

Thanks. I never heard of Detroit being called "the D". Must be a local thing.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Learn to cross those with the cow dung shrooms and you've got a gold mine! :#

The allele wouldn't transfer :-( but I can dream.

But that's okay. The ones out here that grow on wood destroy any dung lover in existence. By like, factors of awesome. They just crush it.

These are during a drought and "aren't really that big".

I discovered a new species in SW Washington last year.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@291fifth said:

@PerryHall said:

@fastfreddie said:
    74 in the D

Thanks. I never heard of Detroit being called "the D". Must be a local thing.

It is a local thing and is heavily used by some of the local TV commentators.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rob9874 said:
    114 here in. Phoenix

But its a dry heat <3, besides if you have lived here long you know to expect it.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cooling off here in Vegas, only 112 right now at 5:55. Going for 114 tomorrow and the next day....Both Phoenix and Vegas have set heat records this summer. We also have had no, that's NO, precipitation all summer. Not one thunderstorm that dropped even a drop. :(
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Cooling off here in Vegas, only 112 right now at 5:55. Going for 114 tomorrow and the next day....Both Phoenix and Vegas have set heat records this summer. We also have had no, that's NO, precipitation all summer. Not one thunderstorm that dropped even a drop. :(
    bob

It has been a rough summer for the southwest desert areas for sure. the only upside has been the lack of humidity.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Low 60s here.

With that name “Hydrant” you should be entitled to turn one on to cool off where you are sweltering in 100 degree plus heat. 😊

• Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

103 today in Windsor CA

YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 317 ✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

@Rob9874 said:
    114 here in. Phoenix

But its a dry heat <3, besides if you have lived here long you know to expect it.

Yeah, we do, but you never get used to how long it lasts. I grew up in IL/IN, and moved here in 1994. And even in 2020, I'm PO'd that it's still 114 on Labor Day weekend! :s

• Options

The Pacific NW is a temperate rainforest and BC is burning. Fires in CA just make things so much worse. This is terrible. If we dont get rain this year and mushrooms dont eat the wood, we will be lit up. It is a tinder box out there now, and has been for years. I cant remember the last time I saw a banana slug, a newt or salamander, only two frogs last year and one super skinny snake. The woods doesn't even smell like... the woods.

We dont have tinder removal stuff here because nature normally breaks it all down. But when it doesn't rain, the mosses and lichen and fungi don't grow. I can't believe I live in a rainforest and I'm walking into another drought during a mushroom season worried about being lit on fire for trying to find food. What the heck??

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

From west of it

Looks like a mushroom

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2020 9:15PM

@AlanSki said:

Looks like the road up to Palomar? Lots of fires here today. October will be horrid!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

56 degrees here this morning... got up to 76 yesterday....Will be a couple of more hot days though, September usually brings some warm one's before the big cool down. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was 100 yesterday. Massive fire to the east. Winter storm warning for tomorrow. Will really help out.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roughly 55 to 85 depending on the time of day.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was 117 yesterday and supposed to get to 115 today.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

70 here in Da'Burgh...Doors/windows all open. :)

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

A beautiful day 78 degrees in the mountains of East Tennessee.

• Options
    edited September 6, 2020 12:23PM

@Hydrant said:

@AlanSki said:

Looks like the road up to Palomar? Lots of fires here today. October will be horrid!

It's the fire in Yucaipa.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:
    A beautiful day 78 degrees in the mountains of East Tennessee.

Yep. 53 this morning on the Cumberland plateau.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    97 Orlando, FL

In the late 90’s I briefly lived in Altamonte Springs. I love the Orlando area. 👍

• Options

In western North Carolina lately it’s been really hot, but I’m happy to see it’s only 75 right now. 👍

• Options
    edited September 6, 2020 12:50PM

@AlanSki said:

@Hydrant said:

@AlanSki said:

It's the fire in Yucaipa.

Wow! I could see it yesterday (it did look like it was around Yucipia?)from home at 11:30a.m. About 35 miles to the West.
    The smoke cloud was UNREAL! I cannot recall seeing one like it. 115° here now.....and climbing. I expect 118°/20° before it tops out.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

59 this morning and a pleasant low humidity 83 here now! I feel for all ya'll in the West.

• Options
    edited September 6, 2020 1:53PM

Update: 117° now and climbing. Never seen sustained heat like this here. EVER! Up all night trying to put enough water on the trees. Hopeless....evaporation is around 80% during the day. No profit this year! Oh, well........time to jump in the cow trough with the little Hydrants. REFIEF!.....YIPPEE!!!!!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

105 at this time, heading to 110 later today.

The hot spell is not expected to break until Wednesday.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Valley Fire from Mount Soledad in La Jolla. Had ash coming down too.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2020 7:09PM

All-time record high today for Escondido, 115. Where I live in the San Pasqual Valley part of town, it was a degree or two higher. It was still 100 when I checked about 15 minutes ago...

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    In western North Carolina lately it’s been really hot, but I’m happy to see it’s only 75 right now. 👍

The week of Aug 17-22 I was in Western NC. I drove my kids from hot & sweaty FL to visit. We did a lot of hiking and visiting water falls etc. The place is fantastic!

The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties - Ends July 7th! :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it got to 110 here in Yorba Linda today

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woodland Hills, CA Broke the Record for LA County @ 121 today..........Ya it was Hot........hell it still is hot even though its about 88 @ 10:30 PM

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

It is going to be in the high 90"s today in Denver followed tomorrow with snow and the low 30's as a winter storm system is coming in from Canada.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

112 in Gilroy, Ca

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put a humidifier in your garage with inexpensive silver in albums or napkins and enjoy the heat... Maybe you'll make some nicer toners to offset your power bill. B)

• Options

• Options
    edited September 7, 2020 4:49PM

It's ONLY 102° here because a marine layer has arrived. It hasn't burned off all day! Actually very, very comfortable after the last few days of 117°/121°. What a relief!

• Options

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

72 right now.

• Options

@keyman64 said:

@asheland said:

The week of Aug 17-22 I was in Western NC. I drove my kids from hot & sweaty FL to visit. We did a lot of hiking and visiting water falls etc. The place is fantastic!

Which city did you visit? Asheville?

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

@keyman64 said:

@asheland said:

Which city did you visit? Asheville?

My mom lives in Franklin on the side of a mountain so I have been going up there for about 20 years or so. I visited many areas of western NC, including areas surrounding Asheville, but not the tourist trap itself. I haven't edited all of my photos yet but here are a few I have gone through. I need to edit a bunch of deer photos from my mom's mountain and a couple of other waterfalls.

The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties - Ends July 7th! :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one gorgeous place!

• Options

I agree with koyne. Beautiful!! Wow!

• Options
    edited September 8, 2020 8:02PM

@keyman64 beautiful pictures! I actually drove through Franklin on Saturday . 👍

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file