Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jared Grove: The YN with his own minting company and coin patents!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 1, 2020 5:19AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone collect the works of Jared Grove?

I'm impressed that he started Grove Minting and it's been up and running for so long. He also has two coin related patents.

It's a great use of his family name and coat of arms.

Company: https://groveminting.com/

Biography: https://groveminting.com/newmarket/content/7-jared-grove

I felt it necessary to pay homage to these singularly unique coins of yesteryear and in 2011 my first silver commemorative was created, based upon the Feuchtwanger Cent. The Grove Minting Company would be tasked to design a new commemorative with each coming year, deriving examples from 18th and 19th century legacy.

As I am working full time developing software across multiple industries, I am slowly closing the gap between engineering and numismatics. In 2015 I was awarded two US Patents, which utilizes software algorithms to automatically identify coins in a novel way. This process should be quite applicable within our industry, and also solve a very specific business problem, once I get all the kinks worked out. In the meantime, I hope you will enjoy the coinage designs I have revisited, as the modern works before you.

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard work can pay off!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wondering what kind of press he is using to mint his products? Didn't find that info. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive. Nice to see such entrepreneurship in the younger generation. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2020 4:43AM

hopefully he doesn't fall into the trap of fast cash by copying already existing designs, we already have enough of that. a quick look at the link provided shows me that's what is being done.

is that really a good example of "entrepreneurship" for us to admire??

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    hopefully he doesn't fall into the trap of fast cash by copying already existing designs, we already have enough of that. a quick look at the link provided shows me that's what is being done.

yes, a good entrepreneur provides the market with what they desire. If they're buying, he is successful. If he is successful, then he is a good example.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

Gates, Musk, Zuck are all entrepreneurs who simply made a better product and are rich as hell because of it. Entrepreneurship is the process of building a company, not a product that is novel.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2020 10:59AM

What's the cutoff age for the YN designation?

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is probably 43 or 44 years old. Not a YN in my book.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Wondering what kind of press he is using to mint his products? Didn't find that info. Peace Roy

I was commissioned to make their recent gold "Stella" product.
    I do not know how or where their other past products were produced.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Hydrant said:

AARP minimum age

At 50 I was a YN? :D

Ken
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@Namvet69 said:

I was commissioned to make their recent gold "Stella" product.
    I do not know how or where their other past products were produced.

Nice to know it's not outsourced to China. And it's good to see men at work.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bearcave said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Hydrant said:

AARP minimum age

At 50 I was a YN? :D

In practice, yes.

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    Unless I misread it, his website says he was a senior in high school in 1995. That's not exactly what I would call a YN, but then again, he is under 50 which is practically a kid in numismatics.

On another note, I'm impressed. At least this one follows the law. That's definitely a step up.

Following the law? I didn't see "copy" on any of his reproductions.

• Options

@Tomthecoinguy said:

@cameonut2011 said:
    Unless I misread it, his website says he was a senior in high school in 1995. That's not exactly what I would call a YN, but then again, he is under 50 which is practically a kid in numismatics.

On another note, I'm impressed. At least this one follows the law. That's definitely a step up.

Following the law? I didn't see "copy" on any of his reproductions.

The design changes are sufficient that I don't think these would be mistaken as a genuine issue to an ordinary person of average intelligence/knowledge which is the legal threshold for declaring an item counterfeit. There is also enough difference (on the ones I saw with his family coat of arms or whatever) that I don't think it would qualify as an imitation numismatic item to fall within the ambit of the HPA.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it need to say “copy” if only half the coin is a reproduction? I wouldn’t think so, but before today I haven’t put much thought into it.

• Options

@ShaunBC5 said:
    Does it need to say “copy” if only half the coin is a reproduction? I wouldn’t think so, but before today I haven’t put much thought into it.

An imitation numismatic item is an item which purports to be an original numismatic item but is not and is a copy, reproduction or counterfeit of an original numismatic item. It also includes an altered original numismatic item which purports to be an original numismatic other than the one it was struck as. This is a close paraphrase of the relevant U.S. code and CFR sections. Notably by inclusion of the word "counterfeit," a word with a well established legal meaning and body of case law (regardless of what some forum members may think), it incorporates that body of law as well. Counterfeits need not be exact replicas.

The lack of a denomination, inclusion of his logo/name, and the absence of key mottos is sufficient to say it doesn't purport to be an original numismatic item. For the reasons in my other post, it is also not a counterfeit.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

Yes. It seems there was a need in the market which allowed this young man to achieve success. It is precisely what you want for a market to remain competitive and healthy.

Between the narcissism and victim blaming flooding this forum, I almost forgot the boomers that deny peoples successes just because 1) they didnt think of it first, or 2) because they dont understand it, so it must be bad.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2020 2:21AM

An imitation numismatic item is an item which purports to be an original numismatic item but is not and is a copy, reproduction or counterfeit of an original numismatic item. It also includes an altered original numismatic item which purports to be an original numismatic other than the one it was struck as. This is a close paraphrase of the relevant U.S. code and CFR sections. Notably by inclusion of the word "counterfeit," a word with a well established legal meaning and body of case law (regardless of what some forum members may think), it incorporates that body of law as well. Counterfeits need not be exact replicas.

>

The lack of a denomination, inclusion of his logo/name, and the absence of key mottos is sufficient to say it doesn't purport to be an original numismatic item. For the reasons in my other post, it is also not a counterfeit.

Thank you for this @cameonut2011

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah, boy, you nailed it. I'm just a narcissist who doesn't understand what's going on and would like to have done this sort of thing first, you see I'm all tied up and jealous.

in truth, I just don't get punked by all this imitation.

here's the real point, pay attention, I'd hate for you to miss it and have to go on another self-righteous rant --- everyone bemoans the sad state of our coin designs and the flat relief of everything that circulates. the admirable solution for people who have the wherewithal and skill to do it seems to be to copy classic designs and suck some cash out of the bemoaners. far be it from them to actually create something original and maybe work towards changing the designs or our coinage, where's the profit in that. gee, to do that might actually cost them some money.

so go ahead and trip over yourself buying up this kind of crap and criticizing people like me who rail against it. one day, 20 years down the road, you'll wonder what happened when all we have left is a piece of round plastic with a big number in the middle of it, easy enough for the dumbed down populace to know what it is.

• Options
    edited September 2, 2020 7:43AM

Okay, so he;s not exactly young outside of numismatic standards. I got tripped up by his high school story, but it seems like he didn't make his first coin until he was about 34, if he was 18 in 1995, when he was graduating from high school.

It’ is interesting that 34 can still be considered young for coin collectors though! It’s probably older for things like snow boarding and rock climbing.

• Options
    edited September 2, 2020 7:51AM

@keets

Regarding copies, I think the reason they are made is that simply collectors want them.

Don't look, but an electrotype just sold for $13,800!

Also think about the following:

For something like Limited Mintage, they tried many of their own designs which didn't appear to sell before their hit upon making replicas.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file