JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

Small 8 for my set.
GTG.
[I'll reveal grade in a few days.]

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grade that coin Choice AU Bad A**! <3

Oh, and even though you faked everyone out, the picture file shows the actual number, which I caught after I gave it grade in my head.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is gorgeous (and less importantly, AU53).

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    My guess is gorgeous (and less importantly, AU53).

+1

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes Very Nice, AU 53-55. Like a fire cracker, Boom!

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without the color AU50-53.
    With that off the charts eye appeal, easy 55.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice EA, 55

• Options

@Walkerguy21D said:

While I’m sure that some will disagree, I don’t see eye appeal as adding to the grade of a circulated coin.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna say the odds are better than 50% the eye appeal of that coin got it in a 58 holder.

@MFeld said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

While I’m sure that some will disagree, I don’t see eye appeal as adding to the grade of a circulated coin.

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    I'm gonna say the odds are better than 50% the eye appeal of that coin got it in a 58 holder.

@MFeld said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

If the coin graded above AU55, my quoted opinion regarding eye appeal and circulated coins was clearly incorrect.😉

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the AU53 crowd.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

I'd give it a AU53/55 If there were not toning It'd be 53.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grade it a beautiful AU 53!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU53

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2020 8:16PM

Stunning eye appeal with that type of toning!

Your coin is the Large 8 variety and is the O.104a
    It also happens to be an earlier die state without the obverse crack from star 2 up through star 5 and to the forecurl.... not to mention, the full dentils on the reverse.

I won’t guess it’s grade because I’m quite familiar with this coin ;) but I will say that I think it’s undergraded.
    One thing is for sure though, it fits in perfectly with the rest of your amazingly toned bust halves!

Dave

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

55+/shot 58

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say 53, close examination indicates flaws concealed by the ugly (to me) tarnish. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

When the OP asks 'Guess the Grade', I'm assuming he's asking us what's on the holder.
    Believing that there is some semblance of market grading going on within the TPGs, up and down the continuum, I think they gave this one a nudge up. But I could be wrong - Mark, you've forgotten more about grading than I'll ever know!
    If the coin were raw and at a show, I'd grade it a technically as AU50+, and when I asked for a price, would fully expect a 58 (or higher) quote.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going with a 58

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    I grade that coin Choice AU Bad A**! <3

Oh, and even though you faked everyone out, the picture file shows the actual number, which I caught after I gave it grade in my head.

I was aware of this 'security breach' and wondered when someone would take advantage of it. You, as the first response post, identified it.

• Options

@ricko said:
    I would say 53, close examination indicates flaws concealed by the ugly (to me) tarnish. Cheers, RickO

They are fully covered by the tarnish with no discontinuity of color. The chief mark on Liberty's cheek nicely so. Fields in front of Liberty are very clear. Eye appeal aside, I agree that this coin (untoned and with full luster) would technically grade 53.

• Options

The half dollar was previously AU53.
    It is now AU53+.

• Options
    android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

53 plus + ? Still a very nice 55 exceptional color.

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 371 ✭✭✭

Plumb pretty!

• Options

@JBN said:
    It is now AU53+.

Not a grade that is often assigned.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful!

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2020 8:11PM

@mannie gray said:

@JBN said:
    It is now AU53+.

Very true. I just checked the Capped Bust half pop report and there are 5,513 AU53s against only five (5!) AU53+ coins (across all dates)!

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@mannie gray said:

@JBN said:
    It is now AU53+.

Very true. I just checked the Capped Bust half pop report and there are 5,513 AU53s against only five (5!) AU53+ coins (across all dates)!

Wow......I knew it was rarely given but I didn't know it was that rarely given.
    I guess the vast majority are either 53s or 55s..perhaps someone in the grading room wouldn't budge and this was the result.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Took 3 seconds to arrive at technical 53 grade..
    Guessing the price maybe more challenging.. right between 55 and 58?
    $1800 ?
    🤔

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

I for one think the toning is incredibly beautiful. With that said and without cheating I’ll say a gorgeous 55.
    Congratulations on such a nice addition 🤩

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@MFeld said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

In this case it surely did.
    Seriously this is solid cool EA and yes sometimes you can have that on non-MS examples, not often but this one makes the cut.

P.S. Hey Mark, you've been somewhat combative lately, you planning a goodbye thread anytime soon? :D:#

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@marcmoish said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

Seriously this is solid cool EA and yes sometimes you can have that on non-MS examples, not often but this one makes the cut.

P.S. Hey Mark, you've been somewhat combative lately, you planning a goodbye thread anytime soon? :D:#

I sure hope not.

• Options

@marcmoish said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

I don’t think the coin got a color/eye-appeal bump. And I’m under the impression that those who thought it would, guessed the coin would grade at least 55. Please note that although you can’t hear my voice, my tone isn’t combative 😉 And I don’t have any plans on a “goodbye thread”.😮

• Options

Seems you got that right, and know better.

Very few circulated examples have such a cool look, it had to have meant something, It's def why I had it at 55.

Glad to hear your future plans calls for remaining in the playpen and behaving 🙄😏

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

53/55. Who cares? That coin is beautiful!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55 Beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file