Home U.S. Coin Forum

I Finally Found a Very Scarce Teapot Made from a Dime!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of you know that I collect all kinds of penny exonumia, especially teapots (and other charms) made out of pennies by prisoners and soldiers in the 1930's and 1940's. I now have well over 100 of the penny teapots and charms, but have never had one made from a dime - until now! The dime teapots are very scarce, and even though it's not a penny, I am very tickled that I was finally able to add one to my collection!

And just for the fun of it, here are some other of my more favorite penny teapots and penny charms from my collection:

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

All damaged.....PMD.....what a shame...... :D

As the kids say, "JK"....those are uber cool!

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a rare find.
    I really like the penny collection. It’s nothing I’m familiar with, but it strikes a chord to the collector in me.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool dear! "I'm a little teapot, short and stout..." lol

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

A serious question....in your vast collection of things made from cents, do you have anything dated 1922 (plain or D) that I might illustrate in the book I am writing about 1922's? The encased cents are more common than you would think, but a teapot would be marvelous!
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Not many people have that kind of "Talent" anymore to be that creative or have the "Craftsmanship" to be able to complete the task! Some very complex pieces were made in your Collection! Thanks for sharing.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Ohio penitentiary one. Nice score charmy

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great find Charmy!

Love your penny charms too!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Charmy, those are awesome! Your posts never disappoint.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding stuff!

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really my cup of tea but you sure do find some interesting things!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice collection!

Is it possible that the pin with the Fleur-de-Lis and the 1940 cent was made in connection with the fall of France in 1940, sort of a "France will rise again" piece?

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bet the old prison guards have the best pieces squirreled away. Awesome assortment, you represent this hobby very well. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really neat items.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow ... you have some nice stuff there!

• ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2020 12:09PM

@CaptHenway said:
    A serious question....in your vast collection of things made from cents, do you have anything dated 1922 (plain or D) that I might illustrate in the book I am writing about 1922's? The encased cents are more common than you would think, but a teapot would be marvelous!
    TD

I'd love to help you, but the coin's date doesn't show up on many of these types of pieces, and I'm sorry but I don't have any encasements or other pieces from 1922 either.

edited August 30, 2020 12:07PM

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    Very nice collection!

Is it possible that the pin with the Fleur-de-Lis and the 1940 cent was made in connection with the fall of France in 1940, sort of a "France will rise again" piece?

:)

That piece in particular came from a WWII soldier who served in France, it was in a box of memorabilia his family had. Here's a photo of the soldier who brought that piece back from France. These were "sweetheart" pins that soldiers would make and send to their loved ones back home.

edited August 30, 2020 12:08PM

@Namvet69 said:
    I'll bet the old prison guards have the best pieces squirreled away. Awesome assortment, you represent this hobby very well. Peace Roy

Actually, I have the provenance of the charm bracelet I posted above - it came from a San Quentin prison guard. He got it from the prisoner who actually made the bracelet, and that guard sold it to a guy, who sold it to a coin collector, who sold it to me!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are amazing! The Indian Head Cent pitcher is very nice.

Do we have any records of anyone named who made these?

Are there any articles on these?

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool! By the way, the coffee pot on the serving tray might just be a 1877 Indian Cent :D

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• ksuscottksuscott Posts: 265 ✭✭✭

Very cool. I wasn't even aware of these. Thank you for sharing!

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's an impressive collection!

Image the time and labor that went into that!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

OK thanks.
    TD

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool collection. So much history here too...wow.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThePennyLady .... Charmy, that is an amazing collection... I have seen parts of it before, but some of what you have shown is new to me.... Incredible craftsmanship.... Thanks for showing us. Cheers, RickO

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. thanks.

• SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve never heard of these before today they’re amazing! Thank you for sharing them!

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

Pretty cool dime teapot that you picked up to go along with all of the other cent items that you have in your very unique collection Charmy! I know that you have been collecting these items for years and it's pretty cool to see that you are able to pick up other unique items to continue to add to your collection. The people that have made these items had/have some real talent to be able to make these unique interesting items out of just a cent, dime. I was impressed the first time I seen these items that you have shown to us here in the forum and keep being impressed with the new items that you continue to add to your collection. Maybe you will find your next teapot to be made out of a nickel. Keep having fun with the hunt for the next item to add to your collection!

Also, Congratulations on the awards that you have won over the years, great job! I hope you continue to win more awards in the coming years as long as you collect and sell.

at'e logo, Joe

Now you need one made from a 20 Cent piece......
    o:)

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very exquisite pieces .
    That's a homerun if you ask me.
    So cool!

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

That is a marvelous collection. I have seen your displays before, they deserve the awards,

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really super items. Enjoyed the presentation. I trust no 94-S Dime or 55 DD cent were harmed in these creations.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

The silver one was made by a well to do prisoner. :) I like the tea/coffee set.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2020 1:08AM

@ThePennyLady said:

@Zoins said:
    These are amazing! The Indian Head Cent pitcher is very nice.

Do we have any records of anyone named who made these?

Are there any articles on these?

I’ve done extensive research on these, and haven’t uncovered any specific names although I do have a letter from a prison warden about the teapots and an actual box and notecard that came with the teapots. I’ve also created a couple numismatic exhibits, wrote some articles, and given numerous presentations on these. I was truly shocked when my exhibits won top honors at most of the major shows. Also, one of my articles made the cover of The Numismatist in March 2017 (I think it was 2017!).

Wow. That's amazing! Great pieces and great history!

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this and it reminded me of the teapots. These seem well done but I’d rather have something older.

https://fb.watch/2MMQrkyHsu/

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave said:
    Saw this and it reminded me of the teapots. These seem well done but I’d rather have something older.

https://fb.watch/2MMQrkyHsu/

That's a one hundred dollar doorbell!
    (The guy's voice is soothing too.)

• Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

@ThePennyLady said:
    Many of you know that I collect all kinds of penny exonumia, especially teapots (and other charms) made out of pennies by prisoners and soldiers in the 1930's and 1940's. I now have well over 100 of the penny teapots and charms, but have never had one made from a dime - until now! The dime teapots are very scarce, and even though it's not a penny, I am very tickled that I was finally able to add one to my collection!

And just for the fun of it, here are some other of my more favorite penny teapots and penny charms from my collection:

Charmy - Exonumia is not generally my "cup of tea", and to be honest, I didn't even know these kinds of things existed (I'm on-again-off-again in these forums - more off-again - so I never saw your previous posts about this subject). But, to be honest, the collection you showed us here is FREAKING COOL!!! And, you have over 100 of these - that's awesome! Thanks for sharing! But now, I might want one/some of these, too! Thanks a lot for presenting another "squirrel" for me to chase!

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez oh! I felt like I was sitting at Charmys booth at a show. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file