Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Franklin Half’s. Value?

balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all. Card guy here. Inherited about 30 Franklin’s. Not graded but mostly very nice condition. Have been kept in books for 30 years. If I post pics can anyone give me idea of value and whether it’s worth it to have graded? ?

Many thanks
Steve

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    Hi all. Card guy here. Inherited about 30 Franklin’s. Not graded but mostly very nice condition. Have been kept in books for 30 years. If I post pics can anyone give me idea of value and whether it’s worth it to have graded? ?

Many thanks
    Steve

@balco758 said:

Many thanks
    Steve

Depending upon the quality of the images, probably so.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to this side of the universe.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless they are exceptional mint state or proof examples they will not be worth the cost of grading. If they are circulated coins most will be worth melt value (which isn't that bad since the price of silver is high now).

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Thanks guys. Here are a few pics. Anything worthwhile here?

• Options

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2020 1:14PM

The pictures above in your post show a nice circulated set... But I don't see anything of much value.... Sorry about that...

Franklin's are my favorite series, even more so than Morgans... Probably because I can remember getting them in change when I was a kid... I've got a complete raw set (~63's to ~66's and some proofs). Getting them certified/slabbed would cost as much as the coins are worth. But I collect because I like them and not so much for their resell value.

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Nice collection of silver coins that will always be worth a bit more than melt. With Franklins you don't have to know which dates contain how much silver.

• Options

Thanks very much guys. They were my grandmother’s so hard to see any reason to sell them all for a few hundred bucks. Sentimental value more. My Dad sold off quite a few Morgan’s last year and that’s about all he had.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Essentially, a melt value collection. The collection looks like it was pulled from circulation in the late 1950s through about 1964. The album itself may have some value as I don't think they are made anymore.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    Thanks very much guys. They were my grandmother’s so hard to see any reason to sell them all for a few hundred bucks. Sentimental value more. My Dad sold off quite a few Morgan’s last year and that’s about all he had.

I sent you a PM before I saw this post. Did not mean to make an unwanted offer. When I sent it I thought you were looking to sell them. If you change your mind please contact me. 😎

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

A circulated set as already mentioned. But... the 1949-S is showing some luster... as well as 1955.... if by chance they are uncirculated then would have some premium above silver value. But not worth sending in for grading.

----- kj
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    A circulated set as already mentioned. But... the 1949-S is showing some luster... as well as 1955.... if by chance they are uncirculated then would have some premium above silver value. But not worth sending in for grading.

Agreed. I was going to say the same thing.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice old set of Franklins. They all look circulated.... so not possible to grade from those pictures. Just based on the pictures, it would appear they are worth silver melt price... You can check that easily on the net (kitco). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

I have a set that looks a lot like that one. Collected it from circulation when I was a kid/teenager. I keep it for the sense of accomplishment. Pass it on to the next generation(s) along with the family story. It is a feat which is no longer repeatable.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought this was @bidask with that avatar.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collected $ilver from circulation. Those were the days. I have a soft spot for Frankies too. My first silver set completed. Pass it along to the Grand kids.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file