Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeit. Is it cast or struck?

ldhairldhair Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to tell whether it's cast or struck since most struck counterfeits are struck from dies that have been cast from a genuine host coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @PerryHall said.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

cast.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like cast bubbles.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aren't fakes struck from dies that were cast off original coins? Can't imagine actually casting a coin that would look anything much like a real one. Hot metal usually does not do what you want it to and you would end up with a pretty poor looking coin. But then if the counterfeiter cast a die from the real deal and cleaned the die up considerably it would then strike a coin that might be passable. That's what I think, probably wrong and Mark will correct me for sure.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    It's hard to tell whether it's cast or struck since most struck counterfeits are struck from dies that have been cast from a genuine host coin.

This. You get much higher quality counterfeits this way. Including this piece.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bogus

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2020 12:18PM

The surfaces look very grainy and it has absolutely no luster halo which are things a struck coin would lack, and have, respectively. (Not counting coins struck from rusted dies like many 25-s peace)

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cast. It has grainy surfaces plus a lack of overall detail say cast to me. The "s" mint mark looks like it was strengthened.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

surfaces scream cast to me.

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

The air bubble on her left arm, makes me think it is cast.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you have the coin, cast will have a problem with the reeding somewhere. This coin looks like problems near 3 o'clock.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I go.back and forth.

That pit on her arm is confusing. Either a casting bubble or debris that was struck in and then fell off.

The third side of the coin will tell the story.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file