Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would there be any benefit to collectors if the coin had a "Graded Date" on the label?

MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I see where people are concerned about a coin toning in the holder. If you knew that it was encapsulated ten years ago versus two weeks ago that might ease your mind.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

Comments

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Storage conditions also matter (heat and high humidity will accelerate toning, since the slabs are not air-tight). Collectors can already guess when a coin was graded, based on the slab details. Your point is one that causes some collectors to stick to older slabs.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Graded Date" on the label would certainly make it easier to find the coins graded during the tighter periods.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d love it, but it won’t happen.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great idea, dude. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see value only if the coin turned or changed color due to baking

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mizzou said:
    Sometimes I see where people are concerned about a coin toning in the holder. If you knew that it was encapsulated ten years ago versus two weeks ago that might ease your mind.

Yes, particularly for red/red-brown copper and gold. It shows stability.

It would also be helpful to know who graded or even more boldly, who submitted a coin (as the old ANACS photo certificates did the latter). I think it would be quite interesting. Of course it won't happen for security reasons.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it would be a very bad idea to include the grader's name. Collectors could find out his phone number and call him to argue with him about the grades they got.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@djm said:
    "Graded Date" on the label would certainly make it easier to find the coins graded during the tighter periods.

What difference would that make?

As a politician once famously said...... ;)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please don't open Pandora's box. There are enough things on the slab which is beginning to look like NASCAR.
    I'm half expecting PCGS to slap a Home Depot logo on the reverse

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. No. And, wait for it ... please ... No.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not necessary.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it is unnecessary... even regarding the tarnish question...that applies more to storage conditions and coin surface condition prior to slabbing. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not necessary at all.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, yeah, sure, sure. Then you can look it up on your calendar. Perhaps you might even see that it was graded on a Friday and Finalized on a Monday. No doubt you'd have to crack it out and send it back in for a regrade.

• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Some of the old holders (most notably PCI) are known to impart toning rather than protect from it. In fact there are some old green PCI holders that state the percentage of "white" or "red" on the label. I have several that say 90% or 95% white, but clearly have toned in the holder over the years.

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file