Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: 1666 Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel 4 taler

The stars aligned for me in early Aug on this new arrival. I had admired these multiple talers for years but never thought I would have the chance to put my hands on one. I'm having some fun with imaging to put some perspective on this piece.

1666-HS Brunswick Wolfenbuttel 4T (Löser)
DAV-LS84, Welter-781A, 87mm, 116.30gm
Struck to commemorate the 88th birthday of August II (The Younger)

Compared with a 1684 Italian piastra (45 mm) for scale

Compared with a modern 5 oz America the Beautiful issue (75 mm) for scale

Compared with the US bicentennial series (quarter, half, dollar)

Side view of oversized holder

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite a milestone which you should be proud to attain - great purchase as you don't see 4 Talers floating around every day in such original condition. Enjoy!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Congrats!

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:
    Quite a milestone which you should be proud to attain - great purchase as you don't see 4 Talers floating around every day in such original condition. Enjoy!

>

Thanks Z! Probably too heavy to float....

The NGC census has a total of 10 of the 4 taler pieces in straight grade holders across all German States and different dates/types. Of course this should be taken with a healthy dose of reality given the fact that 4Ts cross the auction floor in Germany with some degree of regularity and many collectors despise the plastic.

• Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Wow! I'm amazed they had plastic big enough. That thing is ginormous (and beautiful!)

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely superb! Congrats @worldcoinguy ! The size is wild! It’s like a side plate in metal!

:+1:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of curiosity, did that actually circulate?

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! Multiple Thalers are fascinating pieces. Your examples of other sized coins really makes it stand out!

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super!

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    jimhopkins1919jimhopkins1919 Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

That’s incredible! Congrats!

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    Out of curiosity, did that actually circulate?

That is a great question. In general the answer is probably not, at least not in the sense of general commerce down at the local pub for a jug of beer and a few chickens. The ANA had a recent blog on these multiple talers back in June (https://money.org/ana-blog/thalers). The article describes how these pieces were sold by the Duke to property owners with the understanding that they can be recalled in times of need (in exchange for debased currency). I imagine many of these that were not recalled were passed down as keepsakes and conversation pieces.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

holy cow thats amazing.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb piece!!! I love how original and wholesome your coin looks. Nice acquisition. Congrats.

And, you know, if you need practice time on the ice and can’t find your puck...

Finally, at 88, I think his nickname has become more an oxymoron.

:p

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

@EVillageProwler said:
    Superb piece!!! I love how original and wholesome your coin looks. Nice acquisition. Congrats.

And, you know, if you need practice time on the ice and can’t find your puck...

Finally, at 88, I think his nickname has become more an oxymoron.

:p

Thanks EVP. We are just going to use it as a drink holder in the family room until we decide what do do with it.

Funny comment on August The Younger....I suppose that fully ran its course didn't it?

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insanely cool!