Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just received a new shipping box back from PCGS. (picture added)

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 24, 2020 10:28AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I haven't seen mention of PCGS starting to use new boxes, but I just received an order back in one I have never seen before. It's a heavy duty, two-piece pressed cardboard box with loose fitting inserts to hold 10 standard slabs. The color is white embossed on the top with the PCGS logo. I see it as sturdy, lightweight and compact and I'm wondering if it's going to replace the plastic 20 coin boxes we're all familiar with??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m imagining they will use some lower cost options for orders of certain sizes. I’ve been shipped back small number of slabs in a 20 box. Probably overkill, really. But they are still doing some plastic ones as they’ve advertised the orange ones.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like the old Instashield boxes... I think I have one or two of them still. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. Reminds me of quality Apple packaging.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a possible theory, but if they're using UPS more nowadays, reducing the volume of the package may save them some shipping fees. USPS generally charges strictly by weight, except for very large packages.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could never figure out their shipping system. You get one coin in a box, or 4 coins in pressed cardboard. I just assumed they ran out of supplies and it's a substitute thing. But none of it ever adds up to the price we pay for return shipping.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just picked up a submission in a black box today, but it was 14 coins.

• Options
    JmisJmis Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

I like it!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool box. 👍

• Options
    edited August 24, 2020 11:53AM

--- USPS generally charges strictly by weight
    --- I just picked up a submission in a black box today

this is much lighter and it was in the same outer box used for the 20 coin plastic boxes. to the colored boxes, when everyone started getting orange I started getting black, still no orange box yet.

about the size, it may start a new fad: the box of 10. :p

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I haven't seen mention of PCGS starting to use new boxes, but I just received an order back in one I have never seen before. It's a heavy duty, two-piece pressed cardboard box with loose fitting inserts to hold 10 standard slabs. The color is white embossed on the top with the PCGS logo. I see it as sturdy, lightweight and compact and I'm wondering if it's going to replace the plastic 20 coin boxes we're all familiar with??

Al H.

I got my last 2 submissions in this box as well. One had 2 coins the other one had 4 coins. I am glad I saved my black plastic boxes but I really do like the new white cardboard one too! Hard to throw in the recycling bin so keeping them for now!

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    --- USPS generally charges strictly by weight
    --- I just picked up a submission in a black box today

this is much lighter and it was in the same outer box used for the 20 coin plastic boxes. to the colored boxes, when everyone started getting orange I started getting black, still no orange box yet.

about the size, it may start a new fad: the box of 10. :p

OK, never mind. As I said, it was just a theory...

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2020 12:37PM

It looks like those boxes would also hold 5 oversize or double-wide holders by simply changing the insert to orient them lengthwise in the box.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will it hold an NGC slab ??? just curious.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are really nice. I'd like to see one in person.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

those boxes would also hold 5 oversize or double-wide holders by simply changing the insert
    the inserts used as is won't work, maybe they have others for that purpose.

Will it hold an NGC slab??
    yes, even a SEGS and a thicker PCGS/NGC slab.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

...about the size, it may start a new fad: the box of 10. :p

Oh no! The coin market might crash in half!

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I'm waiting for a supply order from PCGS. Flips, labels, shipping boxes, and a holder box. Hope it is one of these new ones. Looks like the top has foil stamping which is less expensive these days.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for fun I'm thinking of neatly cutting a 10 slot segment out of the bottom half of a blue box and fitting it inside one of those new ones. That would make a nice 10 slab storage box.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a package scheduled to arrive tomorrow (UPS), I am still hoping for a Black plastic case, but we'll see.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received a black case last week for my 8 coin club submission.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2020 9:23AM

So now it's "buy the coin, not the holder or the submission box". Let's see that Walker!

• Options

Let's see that Walker!

the Walkers are in this thread from a few days ago.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1042702/walker-gtg-time-to-reveal-the-grades#latest

• Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody expanding interests and collecting TPG boxes?

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

My last order came in one of these boxes. I will see if the order to be delivered Saturday is also in one of these.

Have the plastic boxes all over the place, so it is fine with me.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks super hope get one when they send my order (shipped to them other day).

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the PCGS orange boxes were strictly for the basketball orders.

That cardboard box looks like half of the old PCI boxes.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    I thought the PCGS orange boxes were strictly for the basketball orders.

That cardboard box looks like half of the old PCI boxes.

This Is correct.
    By the way, the prices for used PCI boxes are insane on eBay!

peacockcoins

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I imagine these might be viewed as more environmentally friendly?

I think either could be environmentally friendly - I imagine the plastic could go in the recycle BIN.

Better yet, when I had too many boxes recently I "recycled" them on Ebay by selling them for shipping cost.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like 'em
    Just got one Saturday
    It would be nice if it didn't have that ballistic tape stuck to it.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them, compact, easy to stack. Luckily the tape does come off without ruining them.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, Guess if I wanna keep my supply of plastic slab boxes I better quit using them for submissions. I would be disappointed if I got a cardboard box in place of my plastic box!

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@atom said:
    Anybody expanding interests and collecting TPG boxes?

Yes, I am. I would really like to have one of these new white storage box's.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC used to use a cardboard box similar to this, but not so nice and white. That was 15 years or so ago. I haven't used NGC in quite a few years(10 or so). I have a dozen of the PCGS blue plastic boxes.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file