Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Library of Coins Album Thread!

SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up another one this weekend, bringing my total to 10 now. I though we should have a thread for others to post their's as well. Maybe we can keep it going occasionally!

This time I came across a Jefferson album that was almost full so I decided to pick it up and complete it!

Apologies for bad photos, believe it or not I don't actually own a digital camera so these are phone shots :D

Let's see some of yours!

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

Comments

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! I don't own any myself but love the look of a completed old album like yours.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only one I have is that same Jefferson nickel album. It was empty when I bought it. It's full now.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume those pictures are after you completed it, since I saw no empty spots.... How many did you have to add?? Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing them before I like

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no pictures but have seen some sets with very nice toning on nickels - Liberty, Buffalo, Jefferson

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

That album appears to be in excellent condition. It must have been carefully stored for many years considering that it is at least 38 years old.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 5 of those albums: Buffalo nickels, Mercury dimes, SLQ's and 2 for the Walkers. They are very cool albums and appear to be well made, plus they bring the fun back in getting raw coins for the holes.

• coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 4 - Peace (Complete), WLH (Complete), Morgan (95% complete at one time - sold all the common dates when silver was $35+). and the SLQ which is 98% empty. Bot the SLQ just because I think these are great albums.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am partial to the Whitman Bookshelf and Meghrig albums from this era, but I do have a set of LOC type albums and one for Lincoln Cents. I appreciate how well made they are, you seldom see the bindings coming apart like you do on the older blue Whitman albums.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have them all including the red 7070... Absolute love them. Some are just New Old Stock with no coins in them but the others have coins in them. I just picked up the V nickel one which is one I have not seen with regularity. Absolutely love them. I bought all of them from a dealer about 12 years ago in a little old ocean town in New Jersey. Love them...

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

God, I hate to admit this, but I've probably recycled a hundred of those albums over the years. Maybe 200...

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh well...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had pics of my complete LOC peace dollar album; they're still on the forum server, but we lost the index box that used to allow access to our uploaded images during one of the software "upgrades "

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a half dozen different ones, most in new condition.

• SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for the responses! This is the only complete album I have is this one. I have a hand full in the Roosie album, about half of the Barber dime complete (very low grade though), and various coins in a few of the others. About half my albums are empty ready for a project someday!

@ricko well, it’s kinda cheating because it only needed 2 coins to complete :D

@clarkbar04 That looks awesome! I have the Part 2, but only one coin in it currently.

@jmlanzaf I have nothing to say to you..... >:)

I just ordered the book on them by David Lange, I think I’m going to continue picking them up as I find them. My local coin shop knows I like them so he sets them aside for me to look at when they come in.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

WLH both volumes, Morgan all three volumes, Jeffersons, Canadian cents and a few others. These have great look and feel of old school collecting

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe someday I’ll find that elusive ‘42..

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOC coin albums blow Whitman Bookshelf Albums away. Whitmans do not hold up well at all. I would place Danscos between the 2...although Danscos are a bit better archivally, they still don't hold up as well as LOC's.

@seanq said:
    I am partial to the Whitman Bookshelf and Meghrig albums from this era, but I do have a set of LOC type albums and one for Lincoln Cents. I appreciate how well made they are, you seldom see the bindings coming apart like you do on the older blue Whitman albums.

Sean Reynolds

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2020 4:55AM

Over the years I have probably had them all, at one time or another. They were always a favorite.
    I remember a couple of the Canadian province ones brought almost 2 hundred bucks......empty !
    They certainly have a following.....

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this, I had recently asked about these on my own thread and got good feedback on them. I needed one to house Barber Halves from 1904 - 15 and had found my album in a paper ephemera store last Saturday.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

As always . . . . I debate a full or detailed response for fear of arousing the hibernating bears . . . . but I LOVE the LOC albums. I collect albums of all types . . . . Wayte Raymond, Oberwise (I had many Oberwise Boards but sent them to an interested Board member and never heard back from him again), and odds and ends. But the LOC is the set that is the most fun . . .

I only have 2 that are full . . . BuffNicks, and Jeffs (through 1968-S) . . . albums 6 and 7. Buffs VG-AU . . . Jeffs BU.

The rest . . . mostly lightly used, but intact and sharp (a few new) . . .

Large Cents 1 & 2 (albums 37 and 38)
    Lincoln Cents 09-40 and 41-60 (albums 2 and 3)
    Half Dimes 1794-1873 (album 40)
    Liberty Nickels 1883-1912 (album 5)
    Liberty Head Dimes 1892-1916 (album 9)
    (2) Standing Liberty Quarters 1916-1930 (album 14) (interesting--2 different printing styles???)
    Liberty Head Half Dollars Part 1 1892-1903 (album 17)
    Liberty Walking Half Dollars 1916-1937 and 1937-1947 (albums 19 and 20)
    Franklin Head Half Dollars 1948-1963 (album 21)
    Liberty Head Silver Dollars 1878-1886, 1887-1897 (2), 1897-1921 (2) (albums 23, 24, 25)
    Peace Dollars 1921-1935 (album 26)
    Type Set Part 1 (album 33) and Type Set Part 2 (album 34)
    Proof and Mint Set Coin Album (2) (album 2)
    Commemorative Coins, Complete Collection (albums 29, 30, 31, 32)

I have owned numerous Flying Eagle / Indians and Roosies in the past, but they were so common I gave them away. I now need to get one of those (easy) to help get the set complete.

Several of those albums are relatively rare (Large Cents, Half Dimes, and Type) and you can see them selling for exorbitant amounts, most likely as so few people were able to envision finishing the collections. The more common are fun, good quality (as mentioned above), compact and relatively inert. Heck . . . even my Danscos (Jeffs, etc.) tone coins more than the LOCs !!!

I have not looked at recent prices on LOC albums . . . but I know the keys can sell for quite a stunning amount . . . so if you can find one of the more esoteric ones for a decent price on the bourse floor . . . . it may be nice to pick it up!

Drunner

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the SLQ, just need 2 keys ; leaving the 2 uber-pricey holes empty

@DRUNNER Thats a nice group of books! You’re right, I watch a lot of them on eBay and the price spread is vast for common vs the rare ones! I try to keep an eye out for good deals!

@jedm That’s awesome! I have a Large Cent Dansco but it’s only got a few holed coins in it so far.

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost forgot I still have one:

Last coin is 1989, but that's over 100 years.

@carabonnair Thats really cool! I didn’t realize they had one spanning such a long time

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago I purchased a small collection & the owner had 20-30 empty new LOC albums. The rarest I had are the Canadian albums. Hundreds of dollars(empty) on a couple. The inside back cover lists the product line.

Have a nice day
  • carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@streeter said:
    The rarest I had are the Canadian albums. Hundreds of dollars(empty) on a couple. The inside back cover lists the product line.

The Newfoundland and British North America regularly bring the highest prices - they are the only albums published for complete sets of these coins.

I picked up a LoC Buffalo Nickels album today, and a couple Buffalo’s to start it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file