Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Referred to this Forum for Expert Advice

Good afternoon everyone I am brand new to the website and to the world of coins due to an inheritance earlier this year. (I posted earlier this morning), and a nice member referred me to this Forum and advised that I post a couple of pictures and start there to see what some of you had to say about them. Thank you so much for your time and if you do look at the pictures, any advice given I will appreciate and listen to.
Please note I did not want to go overboard posting pictures I'm not sure what the rules are so here are a couple of examples and two of them you'll see the backs of as well the pictures are a tad bit darker than the actual coins themselves I have not tried cleaning them or doing anything to them except keep them wrapped up and put away until I figure out the next move.

Comments

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 372 ✭✭✭

Spurrious-looking stuff. Morgan 1899 CC! A unique specimen!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Welcome to the forum! :)

Very sorry to say but all look like replica/counterfeit coins. :/

Some of the dates like an 1899 CC were never minted.

No genuine 1895-CC dollars were made, either.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counterfeits.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a bad inheritance. Fake.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with above that they are all fakes.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can sort of feel your pain in realizing these coins are counterfeit, but if the Hobby interests you don't get too discouraged.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely, without a doubt, all are poorly made fakes. Sorry...

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s tough news to hear for sure 😔. Better days ahead.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately someone got taken when they purchased all of these dollars. All are fakes, many have been discussed here extensively (CC's especially by me!).
    Here is my advice, take all you inherited to a coin shop and have them all looked at for authenticity. Don't be in a hurry to sell anything until you have a lot more knowledge. Purchasing a RED BOOK OF US COINS has got to be foremost on your agenda. It will give you a lot of information and some pricing as well. The 2021 book just came out, get it.
    Your relative got taken or collected modern fake US coins.
    Welcome,
    bob :)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Whitmans-Official-Red-Book-Guide-of-United-States-Coins-2021-Spiral-Catalog/333559141278?hash=item4da9ac939e:g:aCUAAOSwvbZefSQf

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Omg I am crushed, but I will do as advised and have an expert in person also look them over... This wasn't done by her on purpose-
    believe me if there is a fake it's because her spoiled selfish b*tch sister did a swap out...
    Oh man I am just heartbroken

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry :'(

Feel free to post other coins here for opinions from the forum.
    There are many good experts here.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ra2377ven said:
    believe me if there is a fake it's because her spoiled selfish b*tch sister did a swap out...

:/ If you say so.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

do not try cleaning them, as with authentic coins that will drop the value from 30-70%

the coins shown seem to be recent counterfeits coming from china, they are not even good.
    I am not sure what relative you inherited them from and how long ago they were collecting.
    I have no idea if an executor could have done a switch for you.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe they are all fakes as mentioned from above posters.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately I also agree with the above opinions. Sorry.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2020 2:55PM

They look fake.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, so, you fell off your bike for the first time.
    No judgments are made here in the sand box. Oh ya, Welcome to the sand box.
    Photos are encouraged to support or just to clairify any questions you may have about your collection. (also no spell check)
    No question is a bad question.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

As everyone has said, they are all fake.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's one thing to be fooled by decent fakes. It's another to acquire coins that have never been minted and be shocked they're counterfeit.

I hope you can settle the matter without breaking the family. Remember what matters more.
    Lance.

• Options
    Elcontador1Elcontador1 Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

Drop the 1895 CC and 1899 CC coins on a hard floor. These coins are obvious counterfeits. Listen to the ring tone made. If you have a circulated half dollar from the early 1960s, do the same. See if it's the same ring tone. If so, the coin is silver and is worth melt value (am guessing around $22). They are probably cast counterfeits, and if so, the ring tone will be different than that of a real silver coin.

Years ago, I was in Vietnam and I found a well made fake 1875 CC Trade Dollar. It even fooled many dealers. But the ring tone when it hit the floor gave it away, because it was not the same ring tone that you hear when you do this with a silver coin.

A modern skilled counterfeiter could not make this mistake, as if the metallic composition was right, the coin would have fooled many and have been worth at least $200.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ra2377ven.... Welcome aboard. Very sorry that you have to receive such bad news. Yes, they are fake coins. Might still be silver, that can be checked, but probably not. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2020 8:02AM

Welcome to the forum. Though we did not have good news for you on the coins.... don't give up on the hobby. For sure, post photos of other coins you may have.... this site has experts who will give you great advice. The number of photos you posted this time is probably a good number without overwhelming; also not too many per day (there are no rules as to how many posts per day, but some people start not responding when post after post after post..... start showing up up and crowds everyone else off the page....)

Hopefully other coins you have will be genuine.

----- kj
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even fakes have some value as fakes

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

To who?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

Not modern ones, except if made of silver....bullion value.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

The question for the OP to ponder is when did the family member obtain these coins?

If it was decades ago, then someone pulled the old switcheroo with these modern Chinese fakes.

If they were obtained more recently then the original buyer likely got ripped off at the time of purchase.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file