Home Precious Metals
Options

Fantasy purchase: You have $5k to spend on silver

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 20, 2020 11:53AM in Precious Metals

You walk into your B&M with $5,000 in cash and you have to buy silver with it. Luckily, he has everything you could ask for. Premiums are relatively low and pretty much the same across the board.

Now you can't have $5,000 worth of really rare stuff. That's cheating. It has to be a legit bullion product, though it can be more obscure, unusual, or even somewhat rare bullion.

So you can't have $5,000 worth of 1893-S Morgan dollars or 1916-D dimes. But you can have $5,000 worth of AU mixed date Morgan dollars, or $5,000 worth of average circulated mercury dimes.

Would you go for as many rolls of silver eagles as you could? Philharmonics or Maples?

Or would you take a big sack of 90%? Or anything else you can think of, so long as it doesn't command a really high premium.

Personally, I'd take as many original Engelhard poured 10 ounce bars as I could. What would you buy, and why?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

All things being equal? Two tubes of those generic rounds that are scored in quarters and the rest in ASE. This assumes I cannot immediately flip the rare stuff for cash to convert into more silver...

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are 10 oz Engelhard bars really bullion when they are priced well above melt value?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2020 8:26AM

@PerryHall said:
    Are 10 oz Engelhard bars really bullion when they are priced well above melt value?

I'll buy them from you below melt if you like!
    Like @taxmad said above, you have to keep them. Not a fast flip or anything. These are for your stack.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

ASE's for me I guess although at today's prices that would be less than 7 tubes...........................could I just keep the 5k? :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2020 9:16AM

all things being equal? On both the buy and the resell end? doesn't matter what you buy, silver is silver.

Choice is important when premiums vary.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2020 9:25AM

I'll take 10 oz;ers of name brand.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Aussie stuff.

Half in their 10oz bars, the rest in the 1 oz kangaroo bars. I have both and like them.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any mining related poured silver bars - Homestake, for example, or any of the more obscure, less well-known mining bars.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd probably opt for a partial bag of franklin halves or 1964 Kennedy halves.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the Perth mint’s products and I would take a mixture of kooks and koalas in various sizes.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    pragmaticgoatpragmaticgoat Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    I'd probably opt for a partial bag of franklin halves or 1964 Kennedy halves.

Same here

BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more
  • Options
    JTHawaiiJTHawaii Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

I'd take a mix of 90% Dollars, 90% halves, and 10 oz. bars. This was possible at the beginning of this year, how times have changed.

Successful BST Transactions With: AUandAG, SurfinxHI, tightbudget, dmarks, jfoot13, jimineez1, PerryHall, rte592, cucamongacoin, Flackthat, robkool, Walkerguy21D, pruebas, KJB, LukeMarshall, 1630Boston, chumley, privatecoin, Histman, SullyFan2, al410, mcarney1173, Coinflip, mbogoman, dm679864, commoncents05, scooter25

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a nice draped bust half dime

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2020 1:57PM

I'll take that tarnished atocha bar thrown in the corner of the clearance case.
    That falls in the legit bullion category.

• Options

90%

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2020 8:18PM

I’m would buy a JM 5 kilo bar to match my Engelhard. With premium it’s still doable with the 5 grand. Wish me luck!

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

90% and I really don't care which denominations, but I'd probably prefer halves, dimes, then quarters. Dollars would be fine, but the premium is more than I'd prefer.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

I’d go with a mix of my favorites, Kookaburras and libertads. With the kooks, I’d go with 10oz coins and with the libertads, I’d go with a couple 2oz rolls and either a kilo or some 5oz coins depending what I had left over.

Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bars, preferably poured, 10oz and up...

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kennedy half dollars ... 90%

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

ASE's silver bar and coin. Some sort of deal on that

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on now, we all have at least $5000 stuffed in our underwear drawers.
    It’s going to be a greater number to get us out of our skivvies comfort zone.
    $10,000, your stash and mine, it would be whatever my dealer has. Or I can wrangle on the BST. No bars, rolls only.
    One esoteric item, for good luck.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walkers

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    I'll take 10 oz;ers of name brand.

Same here...preferably RCM 10 ozers

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

A shyte ton of sterling scrap; people always are making jewelry.

• Options
    alexercaalexerca Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

@mapleman said:
    Walkers

I am with you, walkers!

• Options
    LongarmLongarm Posts: 89 ✭✭

I'd buy as many rolls of 5 oz coins as possible.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 oz. bars or 90% halfs.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would take the ASE's.... They stack nice and liquidity is not an issue.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    Probably a nice draped bust half dime

Raw, in a flip, in the little corner pocket in my Levi's.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

All Merc. dimes. Hoping for a 1919-P doubled die or a 42/41 P or D that may have slipped through the cracks. Would buy off private sellers, more likely they would not have been searched.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".