Home Precious Metals
Options

The year was 2020....there was some economic news and it actually influenced the PM markets

13»

Comments

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@rcmb3220 said:
    Anyone going to trade their can of tomato soup for a couple of mercury dimes when we get hyperinflation?

heh, highly doubtful. We just had the great toilet paper and Lysol shortage of 2020 and it didn't matter if you had silver or even gold coins. When it comes to a real necessities such as food I doubt precious metals will do a bit good for barter. Good luck!

Right. If people are concerned about HE, they should buy about 2 years worth of everything they need first. Then they can use the rest of their USD to buy the best hard assets, which probably isn’t PM’s.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2020 6:57AM

FinCen gives advance warning

Likely involves money laundering between my favorite bank, DB, and a highly public figure. Should tank markets and boost PMs.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

advance warning of what?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

read their warning. "illegal" leak of Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs).

• Options

sounds more like a threat

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    advance warning of what?

By my calculations we've "been on warning" for at least the past 107 years. Don't hold your breath, we will ALL be long dead before anything changes. Sure hope those overpriced bunkers are comfortable for the doomsayers.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited September 14, 2020 6:58AM

@blitzdude said:

Don't hold your breath, we will ALL be long dead before anything changes.

Yet the value of each dollar you earn this year will be worth less than those you earned last year. Such change is slow for a reason and you just confirmed why.

In economics, time is the most important commodity other than money itself.

• Options

@derryb said:

Likely involves money laundering between my favorite bank, DB, and a highly public figure. Should tank markets and boost PMs.

The secret Suspicious Activity Report leaks begin

"The leaked documents, known as the FinCEN Files, include more than 2,100 suspicious activity reports filed by banks and other financial firms with the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network. The agency, known in shorthand as FinCEN, is an intelligence unit at the heart of the global system to fight money laundering."

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Boost pms? Maybe if we turn the charts upside down.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

This may be a Wiley E. Coyote over the cliff moment.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

PMs (and equities) are currently responding negatively to positive dollar index (DXY) movement. Those that understand the markets understand this inverse gold/dollar relationship. Study harder.

Will he let equities continue to get beat down?

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

PMs (and equities) are currently responding negatively to positive dollar index (DXY) movement. Those that understand the markets understand this inverse gold/dollar relationship. Study harder.

Im not the one who made the prediction, Or are you talking to the mirror? Why is the dollar stronger today?

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dollar is victim when it's weak,
    and villian when it's strong!

Either that, or prices measured in dollars change according to local and temporal changes in supply and demand.

How people think about it explains a lot about their mindset.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    edited September 21, 2020 9:03AM

The dollar is victim when it's weak,
    and villian when it's strong!

The dollar is neither. However, it is whatever the big boys decide that it's gonna be. It's not even paper backed by nothing anymore.

Imagine, if you will - a situation whereby a very small group of elitists can arrange the purchase of whatever real assets seem to be in their favor, and they do it with nothing more than a keystroke - no contracts, no promises, no assurances, no oversight - nothing.

You can fool all of the people some of the time, and you can fool some of the people all of the time. Which are you?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2020 7:12AM

Currency war to make gold the ultimate winner

"Renewed strength in the U.S. dollar is putting some significant pressure on gold prices, but one bank sees the start of a currency war and the precious metal could be the ultimate winner. According to some analysts, the U.S. dollar is seeing some momentum Monday after European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde said that the European economic recovery remains uncertain, incomplete and dependent on containing the virus outbreak."

"Analysts at Commerzbank said that they expect the ECB to continue to talk down the euro as they probably won’t tolerate any further appreciation in the euro. “Thus a currency war has begun between the USD and the EUR that other currencies may well join,” the analysts said. Commerzbank said that Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell will have his turn to talk down the U.S. dollar as he testifies before Congress this week."

So, talking down the Euro props up the Dollar. The good thing about jawboning is that it does not outlast reality. Powell set to "counter jawbone" before congress this week. His push for more legislative stimulus should return the dollar to its recent lows and gold to its recent highs. Movement of the jaws is how a currency war is fought.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Im not the one who made the prediction, Or are you talking to the mirror? Why is the dollar stronger today?

Monetary policy by the FRB ?

• Options

@derryb said:

"Analysts at Commerzbank said that they expect ...

predicting the future

the ECB to continue to talk down the euro as they probably ...

>

supposing

Thus a currency war has begun

definite conclusion

So, predicting the future and supposing something leads to a definite conclusion. Not something to listen to.

• Options
    edited September 22, 2020 8:25AM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Monetary policy by the FRB ?

"Dollar strength" is simply the ranking of the dollar against select foreign currencies (the dollar index, symbol DXY). This dollar index only provides a measurement of strength against these other currencies. It is not a measure of how the dollar compares to itself historically. The dollar can be at its weakest value ever (which it is) and still be stronger than these other currencies. It's a pig beauty contest of fiat currencies. Currently the dollar is the prettiest pig.

Recent rise in the dollar index (the term "stronger dollar" is misleading) is a result in the talking down of the Euro by its master. The dollar index is nothing more than a comparison to other currencies. If those governments choose to weaken there currencies, they in effect are strengthening the US dollar. There are trade imbalance advantages to a weak currency and the race to the bottom among the world's currency masters is referred to as a currency war.

Recent market drop is because the equity markets realize that without fiscal support from Washington the FEDs monetary response to current crisis is limited. Consider it a plea for more stimulus that the money master will not ignore. Powell and 'Munchican' are in front of congress at this moment exercising their jaws in an effort to get relief money from congress. PM markets would thrive with more stimulus and are in the short term recoiling at congress's (temporary) failure to provide it.

• Options
    edited September 22, 2020 8:21AM

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:

"Analysts at Commerzbank said that they expect ...

predicting the future

the ECB to continue to talk down the euro as they probably ...

>

supposing

Thus a currency war has begun

definite conclusion

So, predicting the future and supposing something leads to a definite conclusion. Not something to listen to.

Pretty much how modern economics functions.

The words alone of FED jawboners, even when taken out of context, moves markets.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mnuchin up on the hill right now, talking business ppp grants/loans.

• Options
    edited September 27, 2020 9:20AM

Interesting charts:

what happend in 1971?

(Hint: Nixon created fiat money with removal of the gold standard)

• Options

Interesting charts indeed.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

In 1971 my dad brought home from work, just to show us, a portable 4-function electronic calculator.

It was a marvel.

• Options

Do they know something that the shareholders do not know?

ETF GLD has seen six Chief Financial Officers leave in six years

CFO's certify financial statements. Enough said.

• Options

And..............................................It's Gone!

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

"It's a sick society when our weapons have more jewelry than our wives!" -- Michael Rivero, commenting on Tomahawk Cruise Missiles containing 15 kilograms of silver each.

• Options

I tried giving my wife silver jewelry...
    Uhhh.. how shall I say this..

• Options

@Baley said:
    I tried giving my wife silver jewelry...
    Uhhh.. how shall I say this..

Yeah, If I tried to give the misses gutter metal for jewelry I suspect there would be no more Mrs. Blitzdude.

• Options
    edited December 17, 2020 5:45PM

Shinanagins at the GLD ETF?

Why are their CFOs continually resigning when it comes time to sign the annual SEC statements? Maybe their real gold is only paper gold.

• Options
    alexercaalexerca Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Funny how since 2008 a few here have been warning of the crisis we are now face to face with. As warned, the chickens have come home to roost and precious metals are the protection. Even funnier is how the unicorn diehards still refuse to face the facts. Let them eat cake. lol

I have tried to tell people about PM's since 2002,nobody listened! My wife and I have everything and we live in idaho to boot! For an American it doesn't get any better than that! Have a lot to be thankful for, thank you Jesus!

• Options
  • Options

As the saying goes............"Go big or go home!" It will be hard to out-print the last administration but the Goobs certainly will try.

Personally i'd sleep better holding the cash of the past 6,000+ years rather than some made up unicorn computer digits. Gqqd LUCK!!!

• Options

Pretty sure the last train-wreck started somewhere at or just under $20T. So much for fiscal responsibility and getting rid of the deficit. lol Not sure what the future will hold, it could be better or worse....but all I know is I'm glad I hold more gold than Toilet $$$ Paper. Semper Fi to my fellow American brothers and sisters.

P.S. beware of them bitcoins, pretty certain it will end badly.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

P.S. beware of them bitcoins, pretty certain it will end badly.

Gonna end up bad for dollars as well. It all boils down to when.
    At least them bitcoin values move in both directions.

• Options

A taste of the banking future, especially with CBDCs: banks now monitoring customers' carbon footprint.

". , , a major bank in Australia has introduced a new feature that links purchases to a customer’s carbon footprint and warns them when they are going over the average. The bank gives the customer the option to “pay a fee” to offset their carbon footprint."

• Options

Where is MsMorrisine?

• Options

The bank gives the customer the option to “pay a fee” to offset their carbon footprint."

I'd like to know if that bank president has a private jet.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

right here

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    right here

Excellent!!! Hope all is well.

• Options

so far so good. portfolio down, inflation up, PMs falling, even the glitter metal! Might not be a bonus this year! edge of seat for that one!

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    so far so good. portfolio down, inflation up, PMs falling, even the glitter metal! Might not be a bonus this year! edge of seat for that one!

Glad you found your way out of the gutter. Stack on! RGDS!!