Home Precious Metals
Options

The year was 2020....there was some economic news and it actually influenced the PM markets

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@taxmad said:
    Fed announcement - gold spikes. Nice when markets are rational

and then tanks... I give up

FED basically said it will throw the kitchen sink at fighting unemployment; more QE, more printing, extended low rates. For the past ten years it has worried about the next quarter, never coming up with a viable long term plan. Gold suddenly sees through the smokescreen, gets hammered, and demand breathes it back to life. Appears demand is going to trump the smack down shenanigans, at least for a while. Gold is telling us that FED BS is being called out.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold cant say a darn thing....it diesnt have vocal cords.

The price of gold has ncreased because demand has increased due to massive global liquidity injections and relative valuation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2020 8:59AM

"Gold cant say a darn thing....it diesnt have vocal cords."

Darn it. Just getting used to 'you can't eat it'..... now I find out it won't talk to me either!? Stupid worthless shiny metal..... ! lol....

----- kj
  • Options

Funny how since 2008 a few here have been warning of the crisis we are now face to face with. As warned, the chickens have come home to roost and precious metals are the protection. Even funnier is how the unicorn diehards still refuse to face the facts. Let them eat cake. lol

• Options

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool link

in between all the advertisements and popups, we read that lumber and copper are up in price. Golly!

Surely concrete, drywall, paint, toilets, sinks, lamps and lightbulbs can't be far behind.

Got real estate?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

got non-paying tenants? lol

• Options

@derryb said:
    got non-paying tenants? lol

What a brilliant and insightful point to make! You're correct of course

Not a single one of the rent checks ever received from my gold coins has ever bounced. 🤣

• Options

The only place that rents gold is the COMEX.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

FIFY.....

Massive money creation. Increases the gap between the haves and have nots. Increases inflation potential when that imaginary money is monetized.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2020 11:38AM

Darn it. Just getting used to 'you can't eat it'..... now I find out it won't talk to me either!? Stupid worthless shiny metal..... ! lol....

It just occurred to me that you can't eat a stock certificate either........well, maybe with some salt & pepper?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2020 11:40AM

in between all the advertisements and popups, we read that lumber and copper are up in price. Golly!

Surely concrete, drywall, paint, toilets, sinks, lamps and lightbulbs can't be far behind.

Keep stacking? How's your concrete & drywall stash doing?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

The stock certificate represents fractional ownership in the plant and equipment, in the organizational value creation, in the income stream and growth potential of the business and its products, and the individual and collective efforts of its employees and management to supply the market and make profits... as well as the risk that they will underperform and/or outright fail.

Neither gold nor stocks are useful for directly providing nutritional value.. surprising this isn't clear!
    Seems obvious.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

It just occurred to me that you can't eat a stock certificate either........well, maybe with some salt & pepper?

Not sure why you can't eat it, you most certainly can drink it.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

there's lots of uses proposed for worthless paper!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@jmski52 said:

Keep stacking? How's your concrete & drywall stash doing?

Booked solid in September, October filling up fast, someone just rented the long Thanksgiving weekend.. and then the snow season will begin shortly thereafter.

• Options

got a call out to contractor who installed concrete porch and steps. they need repairs. he said he'd do it but doesn't know when as it's "crazy."

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    FIFY.....

Massive money creation. Increases the gap between the haves and have nots. Increases inflation potential when that imaginary money is monetized.

Why do you use the word "imaginary"? Can you not see it? Do you not have it?

• Options

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

imaginary money is monetized.

Can you not see it? Do you not have it?

when those keys are pressed, it is monetized. it is not going to be coined or printed.

since it is not coined or printed, then you can't see it. but it is not a figment of our imaginations, sadly. very sadly.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Around here (central TX), investment properties are being bid up to 100K above Zillow estimates. Much frenzied money chasing assets, along with surges in homelessness. This is not going well, and is clearly unsustainable.

• Options
    edited August 31, 2020 8:37PM

Why do you use the word "imaginary"? Can you not see it? Do you not have it?

The money isn't earned in exchanged for labor, goods, or services - hence it is not real in the sense that capital wasn't expended in order for it to exist. It's conjured into existence in a criminal way, to benefit a few bankers, politicians and insiders at the expense of those who actually earn it.

Your Federal Reserve System at work. Now they're throwing $trillions around like play money, devaluing every other dollar that's out there. Amazing stuff.

It's a pretty corrupt system, but it's what we've got. Problem is, it's not sustainable and ultimately someone isn't gonna get paid. Someone else is gonna get cheated out of their life savings. Lot's of other someone elses will lose their jobs. It's happened in similar ways before...many times, in fact.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Has "it" ( or something worse )
    ever Not Happened? 🤔

• Options
    edited September 1, 2020 10:27AM

@jmski52 said:
    The money isn't earned in exchanged for labor, goods, or services - hence it is not real in the sense that capital wasn't expended in order for it to exist. It's conjured into existence in a criminal way, to benefit a few bankers, politicians and insiders at the expense of those who actually earn it.

So if took $10k and bought Cracker Barrel stock--because i liked the simple, cozy, homemade and hometown feel--back in 2010, then i should not be entitled to the $50k it is worth now? That i am a criminal? That i have not benefitted?

You sound like someone who put $10k into silver at the same time and its still worth 10k. Almost like jealousy or envy.

Dont worry jmski, your "illicit" gains will come in due time.

• Options
    edited September 1, 2020 7:55AM

That's correct, according to some

If one gets some of the money "THEY keystroked into existence" because precious metals bought and held and traded increase in value, that's good and noble and smart.

If one gets some of the money "They created from nothing" by investing in stocks or real estate or building a business, well that's stupid and evil and "you're doing it wrong," they say... even if you also have some precious metals!

Gotta love this place though 😎

• Options
    edited September 1, 2020 8:29AM

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

So if took $10k and bought Cracker Barrel stock--because i liked the simple, cozy, homemade and hometown feel--back in 2010, then i should not be entitled to the $50k it is worth now? That i am a criminal? That i have not benefitted?

You sound like someone who put $10k into silver at the same time and its still worth 10k. Almost like jealousy or envy.

Dont worry jmski, you're "illicit" gains will come in due time.

Could be worse, you could have put $10k into silver a decade ago and on paper now it's only worth $5k. Factor in 10 years of inflation and the story gets even more sad.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

The system is both corrupt and dysfunctional on a scale never before seen.

• Options

@VanHalen said:

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

The system is both corrupt and dysfunctional on a scale never before seen.

Yes, we have gone much deeper down the rabbit hole.

• Options

Yeah, kids these days, with their hair and their music and their slang words. Harumph.

• Options
    edited September 1, 2020 6:30PM

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wait until the holidays. Most of our neighbors have been pleading with our landlords every month for late payments. There have been lines of angry, sad, nervous people outside the leasing office since April. It is so much worse now.

The stuff in the dumpster stopped being new TV boxes and beer and lately has been older stuff that's breaking down like burned out fans and air conditioners but those are thinning out. Landlords changed parking passes just so we have to pay rent otherwise we get towed. Essentially, it's eviction. Leave or we have the last thing you have taken away... during this.

I will spend every last cent on gold and silver. I would rather lose it all trying than ever again lose it and never giving it a go.

I am never punching a clock again. I am never again being treated like a 7th grader so I can make nothing and they can raise my student loan payments while also taking away food support. Never again getting told I'll have my car stolen by a literal legal gang if I can't pay rent. Never again hoping for someone's good graces so I can afford the $10 voucher at the food shelf. Never asking some smug 22 year old if I am allowed to pee, so he can smirk and say no just to be mean. I am done. Done, done. Done.

There are things I'm just not doing anymore. I'm tired of having my money and everything nice taken away every 10-15 years. Why even bother working? Why save? Why participate if this is always the result? I am done participating.

Why not just... YOLO all your money on gold and silver at the best time to do so in modern history?

• Options

@Azurescens said:

...a lot of crazy stuff...

So I would recomend staying away from that reddit nonsense. Quit playing the victim, look in the mirror, pull up your bootstraps, and take on the world.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

You unironically said the bootstrap thing LOL

What's crazy about never wanting to be a wage slave again?

And guy, I don't have to pull myself up by my bootstraps. I'm falling asleep every night to my hot wife and ever-growing piles of gold in my $5,000 bed. :D

I'm riding out this pandemic in my ivory tower while I pay people to do stuff for me. I'm all set on anything you have to offer but thanks.

• Options

The FED Now Owns Nearly One Third of All US Mortgagess

Where's a Mortgage Backed Securities failure when you need one. lol.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Federal Reserve has “put a lot of money into the market, and that certainly helps keep prices up, maybe above what we would expect without this intervention”.

“What the Fed is doing right now is unprecedented,” the Fed has continued on the trajectory of low interest rates since mid-2019, but also pressed on with its “quantitative easing” approach to inject liquidity into the financial system, which it had used in the aftermath of the 2008-2009 financial crisis. “In recent months, it is not only doing the traditional quantitative easing of buying treasuries and mortgage-backed securities, but also continuing to buy other assets like corporate bonds, which is something that the Fed has not done before.”

In March, in response to the pandemic, the Federal Reserve announced a stimulus package that included expanded windows for its purchase of securities and new credit facilities for businesses and municipalities. “The fact that the Fed started injecting all this money into the market pushed prices up”. The prices of assets are “mechanically pushed up” by the Fed’s act of purchasing them.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Singapore!

https://www.singaporebudget.gov.sg/budget_2020/revenue-expenditure

revised FY2019 Budget Revenues:: S$74+ Bil.

Stimulus? (so far) about S$100 Bil. (20% of GDP)
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/17/singapore-announces-another-5point8-billion-to-boost-its-coronavirus-hit-economy.html

2019 Deficit despite having a sovereign wealth fund S$1.65 Bil

Lots of countries are doing what we are doing. Even China has bailouts. (here is one from May https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3086569/china-pledges-largest-ever-economic-rescue-package-save-jobs)

everyone is doing it. what black swan will displace the us$ as the world's reserve currency?

hopefully a link will be forthcoming.

Singapore has decided to stop the budget deficit creating stimulus.

• Options

Looking like the FED may have forgot to inject their daily dose of cash into the stock market today. Easy come easy go.

• Options

The inflation problem is about to get worse

"Taking these factors into account, the collapse in purchasing power of a currency which has been deployed to save financial assets and failed, once the general public finally understands the consequences, will likely be surprisingly rapid. In 1923 Germany, the final collapse took roughly six months. In 2020 America it could take as little as a few weeks."

• Options

In 1923 Germany, the final collapse took roughly six months. In 2020 America it could take as little as a few weeks

This is barely worthy of a LOL, but ill play along.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    The inflation problem is about to get worse

"Taking these factors into account, the collapse in purchasing power of a currency which has been deployed to save financial assets and failed, once the general public finally understands the consequences, will likely be surprisingly rapid. In 1923 Germany, the final collapse took roughly six months. In 2020 America it could take as little as a few weeks."

How much did precious metals factor into the day to day lives of those in hyperinflated 1923 Germany?

• Options

@rcmb3220 said:

How much did precious metals factor into the day to day lives of those in hyperinflated 1923 Germany?

2012 Casey Research report: Does Gold Keep Up In Hyperinflation?

"We can’t help but speculate about whether most citizens dismissed the idea of inflation during the calm period in 1920-’21. Did respected economists scoff at the idea that Germany could suffer hyperinflation, just before it struck? Did some politicians proclaim that “a little inflation would be good?

While gold is a temporary store of value until money is needed for a transaction, the problem with any asset that holds value during hyperinflation is "do I want to exchange my asset for worthless money?" The worse inflation is the quicker one would want to spend the money received from their gold.

• Options

@derryb said:

@rcmb3220 said:

2012 Casey Research report: Does Gold Keep Up In Hyperinflation?

"We can’t help but speculate about whether most citizens dismissed the idea of inflation during the calm period in 1920-’21. Did respected economists scoff at the idea that Germany could suffer hyperinflation, just before it struck? Did some politicians proclaim that “a little inflation would be good?

While gold is a temporary store of value until money is needed for a transaction, the problem with any asset that holds value during hyperinflation is "do I want to exchange my asset for worthless money?" The worse inflation is the quicker one would want to spend the money received from their gold.

Let me rephrase it. Was there a lot of bartering with precious metals on one side and food etc on the other side?

• Options
    edited September 7, 2020 9:16AM

Wasn't there, try googalo.

• Options

"We can’t help but speculate about whether most citizens dismissed the idea of inflation during the calm period in 1920-’21. Did respected economists scoff at the idea that Germany could suffer hyperinflation, just before it struck? Did some politicians proclaim that “a little inflation would be good?”

author wasn't there

• Options

If only we could invest in conjecture.

• Options

Market starting to look like what I thought was going to happen back on 7/15 when I cashed out all my stocks. Certainly left some $$$ on the table but glad to be out the last few trading days. Guess the question is will it continue?

I always seem to end up getting burnt trying to time the market, perhaps one of these days I'll just let it all ride. Wonder why I never get the urge to cash out of the gold?

• Options

Anyone going to trade their can of tomato soup for a couple of mercury dimes when we get hyperinflation?

• Options

wait and it will be worth 2 cans tomorrow!

• Options

@rcmb3220 said:
    Anyone going to trade their can of tomato soup for a couple of mercury dimes when we get hyperinflation?

heh, highly doubtful. We just had the great toilet paper and Lysol shortage of 2020 and it didn't matter if you had silver or even gold coins. When it comes to a real necessities such as food I doubt precious metals will do a bit good for barter. Good luck!

• Options

what if it fills a hole in your dansco?

• Options

Nothing wrong with that, whatever floats your boat.

Come to think of it I have 3 ASE dansco's all lacking the 2020 (I'm way too cheap to pay the outrageous premiums). If you want to get rid of 3 let me know. I have plenty cans of beans and sticks of butter. lol RGDS!