Home U.S. Coin Forum

Half Cent appreciation thread

TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 16, 2020 3:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Show 'em if you got 'em. This is my first half cent I've had in many years. I don't have any scratch remover stuff for the slab so forgive the scratches. But I sure do like the look of this one. I don't know much about varieties but the seller said it's C-6 M-5.0 early with no die clash. Reverse is rotated to 2 o'clock.

Comments

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland That looks like a great planchet with no corrosion.

@coinbuf That one almost looks like it should qualify for RB.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat indeed it’s a clean planchet. I love the color too. 👍

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my very early days, an 1832 half cent was my first “big” purchase. I saved up Christmas and birthday money and bought a raw one from a shop in downtown Spartanburg, SC.

Some video game or something came out later that year that I wanted, and my dad helped me to sell it on eBay.

Buyer wanted a refund saying the coin had been cleaned. I had no clue. Was devastating at the time for me.

Still love the half cents, but that experience is probably what ended coin collecting in my youth.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@msch1man said:
    Purchased this one a few months back...

I really like half cents. For the most part, compared to their big sister large cents, they're relatively affordable.

That’s a quality early copper coin. Great color and surfaces!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2020 9:30PM

I like half cents, especially the 1793 issue and the Braided Hair type. I have a complete set of circulation strikes of the latter in XF and AU grade. I wish I could afford the 1793 but unfortunately I can't.

• Elcontador1Elcontador1 Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

The Classic Half Cent is the first coin minted with the closed collar on the steam press. It is usually well struck. The 1835 and 1828 13 star are the type coins of the series. You can get a nice MS 63 of these dates for a type set and it won't break the bank.

Years ago, I picked up an 1835 in PC 5 RB holder in an OGH. I still have it (no image available).

@winesteven said:
    These are my only three Half Cents, as I’m a Type Set collector.
    Actually Crosslet 4 Stemless, not Plain 4 Stemless, so should be PCGS #1072, not #1063.
    https://caimages.collectors.com/coinimages/42396/07318347/142006373[1].jpg
    https://caimages.collectors.com/coinimages/42396/07318347/142006369[1].jpg
    https://caimages.collectors.com/coinimages/42396/07318347/142006371[1].jpg
    I call this my “Ash Wednesday Half Cent”, lol. Despite the toning spot, PCGS upgraded it from MS64RD to MS64+RD upon Reconsideration. It has a CAC.

https://images.pcgs.com/TrueView/38257504_Medium.jpg

PCGS upgraded this last one below from MS64RD to MS64+RD upon Reconsideration. It has a CAC.

https://images.pcgs.com/TrueView/19955307_Medium.jpg

I always find the specimens with original color to be amazing. Both in terms of preservation and color. The later bronze composition has a different hue to it. Those are some great ones.

@DarkStar said:
    My one and only:

PC 3 rb CAC

That's one that deserves a Wow more than a like.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some very nice coins here.... I do not collect half cents, but seeing them displayed makes me wonder about a time when these actually had purchasing power in the economy. Amazing... I am old enough to recall when cents had purchasing power...i.e. 'penny' candy... Cheers, RickO

@WinLoseWin said:

Owned this one for a short time about 10 years ago. Don't recall the die variety, but it was not the rare one.

It was a raw coin that I graded AU-50 on the front and 55 on the reverse (by ANA grading standards - not EAC standards).

I’m not familiar with EAC standards, either. The seller of mine indicated it was a choice EF+, Doesn’t really matter to me as I like it and the planchet is in great shape.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible stuff in here!

@Catbert said:
    A thread that makes my heart throb!

58 CAC

64+ CAC

64RB CAC

All three of those are superb!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2020 12:08PM

Cool coin all wtg

@ldhair Is that a hard times token?

EAC President’s presentation on building a half cent type set:

https://youtu.be/PY1GvrxaQss

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

1802/0 (reverse of 1802). This is a well-made, antique electrotype

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

@chesterb said:
    While not the highest grade, this is a nice example for type without spending a fortune. I think the 1793 half cent is a very underrated coin. It's the only year for the type, it's the first year for the entire denomination, and they are very hard to find problem free examples.

Agree. As you know, even that level of wear is an expensive coin! That’s why I’ll never own one :(

Wow!!!!!

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like 'em.
    I'm going to be sad when I sell them (likely soon) and let others enjoy them.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Putting together my Dansco 7070 with gold page was quite an adventure and having very little knowledge at that time about the older coinage, used to get blown out of the water in all online auctions.
    So finally decided to scratch the itch by finishing it with very low quality fillers till such time where it could be upgraded without putting a dent in the wallet.
    Following are from the archive and apologize for the quality of pics.

Maybe it is time to go back and dust it off from the back burner.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2022 10:37AM

@TurtleCat Did you ever get those scratches off that slab?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the only half cent that I own, I bought it at my LCS about 35 years ago,

1806, small 6, stemless:

@OAKSTAR said:

Yep! I got some slab renew from eBay and it worked great.

@TurtleCat said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Great! Can we see updated pictures of it?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a couple of mine. Love the early coppers.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

@OAKSTAR said:

@TurtleCat said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Great! Can we see updated pictures of it?

It’ll look different because the lighting changed.

edited September 25, 2022 1:11PM

MAJOR difference and improvement @TurtleCat!! Like the scratches were never there!! 👍🏻 👍🏻 Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file