Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone have photos of early proof set packaging??

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can not readily find images anywhere. Talking mid 1800s to early 1900s OGP.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2021 8:33AM

NLH

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see the original paper wrappers!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no truth to the rumors that before 1834 Proofs were shipped loose in tiny wooden kegs.........

:)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that's old!

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

'sets' were not sold as sets until 1950. Before that they were sold as individual coins, but many people got most common denominations. Have you ever noticed the different numbers minted for different denominations of the same year?

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

I posted some a while back but the new search feature stinks so I can't find the old thread. It was from an auction where the owner had original packaging from like 1890-1916. Very cool.

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

This may be slightly later than you are thinking of, but here is an envelope from my collection that was
    used by the US Mint to send a group of 1938 Proof Nickels to a customer.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The wax seals make that old mint shipment really interesting....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

$2.50 for $1.91 in change, seems like a much more reasonable markup than the mint requires today :p

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought plenty of the 1961 through 1964 sets from the mint at $2.10 each (I think). I don't have any of the packaging or coins left.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭

How were coins actually stored inside of the envelope? Cardboard tray with cutouts like a modern coin folder?

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I never knew that the mint made a 1938 "Proof", coins were only minted in Denver as the other two Mints were getting ready for the "New" Jefferson nickel, Maybe we have a "New" Old discovery to look for, Same as the "Five" 1913's Liberty Head.

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 11:30AM

Hard to say, @mcarney1173 By the time I received the envelope, the Proof Jefferson Nickels had been taken out to store in flips. However, the original envelope was saved with them (albeit empty now.)

@1Bufffan The enclosed coins were 1938 Proof Jefferson Nickels, not Buffalo Nickels.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

This box once contained 1942 Proof coins. It may have housed a complete set. It's hard to know because you could by Proof singles in those days.

Perhaps too new for this discussion. but here are five 1952 Proof sets with the paper box in which they were shipped.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file