• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

AT

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep,
    That’s the one 🤩

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll start the bidding at a generous 50x face. Hey, that's higher than silver melt value!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most likely yes.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s certainly a beauty but holy grail? Several fit that, to me: Brasher doubloon, 1804 dollar, 1794 dollar, and a nice 1792 half disme. I’ll never own any of those anyway. :smile:

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take the Under, but all it takes is two motivated bidders...

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was presented to then-Secretary of State Edmund Jennings Randolph, who referred to it with a letter to President George Washington.

Where is the letter?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I was thinking before clicking. ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For many, yes, it would be.... much depends on individual preferences and perspectives and the market....Certainly there are comparable rarities.... and no doubt some that have not been offered yet or in a very long time. For now, this will suffice as a candidate for 'graildom'. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays .... I really have no idea.... but if I were to 'guess', I would say under $15 million...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope another forum member gets it so we'll be up to 3 :)

• Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    It’s certainly a beauty but holy grail? Several fit that, to me: Brasher doubloon, 1804 dollar, 1794 dollar, and a nice 1792 half disme. I’ll never own any of those anyway. :smile:

How about the 1964 peace dollar? :o

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ccmorgan said:

@TurtleCat said:

How about the 1964 peace dollar? :o

I thought about that as well. It’s not a holy grail to me because none are legally able to be owned.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it the Holly Grail?

It all depends upon what sorts of coins interest you the most. Early U.S. coins have also been of great interest to me, so this one would be up there. But the prices were the same, I'd take an Mint State Chain AMERI. Cent over the 1794 dollar. I find it more interesting.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Is it the Holly Grail?

It all depends upon what sorts of coins interest you the most. Early U.S. coins have also been of great interest to me, so this one would be up there. But the prices were the same, I'd take an Mint State Chain AMERI. Cent over the 1794 dollar. I find it more interesting.

Having owned both...the dollar is way better. $15M? I’d be a happy camper

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

It is a nice coin. It may be the finest known of the date and a great addition to any collection.

It is also one of the most overly hyped coins to hit the market in a long while. Even if I were a multi- billionaire I would stop bidding on it long before the current owner would make a profit on it as I think with further original research it will be shown to be other than what all the hype says it is.
    But, what do I know?

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Moxie15 said:
    It is a nice coin. It may be the finest known of the date and a great addition to any collection.

It is also one of the most overly hyped coins to hit the market in a long while. Even if I were a multi- billionaire I would stop bidding on it long before the current owner would make a profit on it as I think with further original research it will be shown to be other than what all the hype says it is.
    But, what do I know?

What further research? Martin Logies has examined every single 1794$1 in existence. You can’t change die states - this is the first known struck. The only known with a silver plug, the only known prooflike. What possible further research could change those facts?

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

@Moxie15 said:

But, what do I know?

What further research? Martin Logies has examined every single 1794$1 in existence. You can’t change die states - this is the first known struck. The only known with a silver plug, the only known prooflike. What possible further research could change those facts?

first @tradedollarnut I respect you and your knowledge and opinion. I also know this is or was your baby. I have never seen this or any other 1794 dollar in hand so I cannot argue with anyone , I can only ask questions. I like that you said** "this is the first known struck"** and not the first struck as some have claimed. _ hope that you do well_
    It has been far too long and busy of a day for me to be articulate so I can only say that I think more research of records and letters form the time need to be done.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 5:18PM

@Hydrant said:
    Laura Sperber said it is. So it must be.

Nope not at all it's missing the cacs. Looks dreckey to me. Under.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 5:18PM

.uggg

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

The length of time that's elapsed since last bought suggests to me that 15 million as a new sales price is optimistic however, the very rich, like us all, have been restricted in 2020 from normal activity and saving money in the process. That (plus the tax give away) suggest 15 million is very possible especially since it's possible it may not come available again any time soon.

And yes, it's the holy grail coin.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

@BillJones said:
    Is it the Holly Grail?

Having owned both...the dollar is way better. $15M? I’d be a happy camper

I am on a much lower level than you are. I own a 1795 half eagle and a 1796 No Stars quarter eagle. I admire the half eagle more despite the fact that I paid about one-fifth the price for it. It was the first U.S. Gold coin and is more historic. That is a value judgment, not a reflection of the market. If I could own a decent Chain AMERICA Cent, I would admire it over the 1795 half eagle.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it the Holy Grail? For some yes, for some no....depends on where your interests lie. All that said it's a Dang Nice Coin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file