Home U.S. Coin Forum

How often do you get auction fever?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

How often do you buy something where you think you may have gone over what you should have ;)

Comments

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you're buying a 6-7 figure ultra rarity, there will almost always be another opportunity and perhaps one more favorable.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never. There are too many nice coins available in the marketplace to ever over pay for any coin. It's no fun getting buried in a coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

We can play and still walk away. Spectating is okay. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2020 5:06AM

I went a little over what I wanted to last night...only time, and the variety attribution team at PCGS, will tell.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too often. I am now working very hard to “stay on the wagon.”

My worst purchase of all time was an 1855-D gold dollar. The morning after I bought it many people, including some very knowledgeable dealers were congratulating me on what a great coin it is, but the auction price went by this solar system and was headed toward the next galaxy. Forget the moon.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very rarely, but at a small dollar level when I do. I don’t buy 4 digit coins generally so when I overpay on an auction it is usually by <$100.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    Unless you're buying a 6-7 figure ultra rarity, there will almost always be another opportunity and perhaps one more favorable.

Actually, many lower-priced coins are unique for one reason or another. That said, I never bid completely irrationally anymore. I've gotten past the point of needing any coin unconditionally.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

About every 3wks.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

The medals that I buy seldom if ever show up. I probably over bid when they appear at auction as I win far more than I lose, but there is almost nothing available to guide me price-wise, so no remorse. Well, maybe a little.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have certainly overpaid in my younger years... though any of those I still have, are now valued above the purchase price. I would overpay for a coin I really wanted...at least a bit....I would not pay a ridiculous price even for a special (to me) coin. Cheers, RickO

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2020 8:56AM

I've caught it MANY times, in the past, and have paid some absurd prices but haven't gotten it for a LONG time.

My buying has slowed, significantly.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I think I might be coming down with auction fever, and then I don't even win anything. I might be so cheap that I need auction fever to even win anything.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2020 10:49PM

Not for 25 years or more.
    Something else will come along and if it doesn't, no big deal.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once and I don’t regret it. Paddle in the air and I didn’t care.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Paddle in the air and I didn’t care.

Great quote. And it rhymes!

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every. Single. Time.

Tomorrow's pay will cover today.

(That rhyme was for @Zoins)

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me there are two types of auction fever. One is bidding too much for the coin I really want. That usually works out ok. The second is far more dangerous. That’s when I get outbid on the coin I really want, and move to my second/third choice. Usually a big mistake, no matter how reasonably it sells for.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never, I set a price and once passed I move on.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    For me there are two types of auction fever. One is bidding too much for the coin I really want. That usually works out ok. The second is far more dangerous. That’s when I get outbid on the coin I really want, and move to my second/third choice. Usually a big mistake, no matter how reasonably it sells for.

I just did that and right now I am quite satisfied with the choice.

I had reservations about the first pick. The auction house close-up photo looked good, but I've learned not to trust that because they overexpose their photos, which can hide a lot of problems. I looked at the "full slab" photo, and that made the piece look like a cloudy Proof despite the fact that it had been given a very high grade. I looked at the photos of the coin on the TPG site and saw the same cloudy surfaces. So I backed off. It didn't matter. The coin sold for $8,100. Previously one in the same grade had a high price of $4,200.

I bought one from a dealer I know for $3,000, and I'm happy with it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file