Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Since I collect gold and it being hot, I decided upon this $10 piece with the "L's".

truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 10, 2020 4:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

you picked an expensive hobby.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was it under melt because of the light weight?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Was it under melt because of the light weight?

Never weighed it.
    Paid through the nose.
    Oh well.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice "L" government counterstamp. I was considering it for awhile, other items had priority. Probably extremely rare for an L stamped CC Eagle. I plan to do some research on these at NARA when they open - I won't hold my breath.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

@Nysoto said:
    Nice "L" government counterstamp. I was considering it for awhile, other items had priority. Probably extremely rare for an L stamped CC Eagle. I plan to do some research on these at NARA when they open - I won't hold my breath.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this way.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not familiar with the 'L' stamp... Is there a backstory on these? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the work of some son of a rich blacksmith. Can I type this here ? :blush:

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

And on the flip side , L is for Like.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall ... Thank you.... I somehow have missed this bit of information over the years...Interesting...and logical. Evidently, a few escaped the melting pot.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've owned a fair amount of L stamped gold. I happen to like them! Nice coin!

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I am not familiar with the 'L' stamp... Is there a backstory on these? Cheers, RickO

Some good info on them in this thread:

"Counterstamped gold coins. Anyone else see these before"

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1000439/counterstamped-gold-coins-anyone-else-see-these-before#latest

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't no about the L stamp on gold.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unlike the treasury I’ll pay full face value for any gold coins deemed light.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• Options
    edited August 18, 2020 8:40PM

I just received this $10, nicer in hand, better color too. Counterstamps have crud inside also.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t know about the L’s, either. That’s a really neat coin.
    Do these straight grade since it was done by the government as part of the coinage cycle?
    Is it post and pre mint damage at the same time?

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

PerryHall is a smart dude!

Thanks for that.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very informative, and a neat coin to boot. I had never had heard of this practice. nor can I remember seeing one of these before.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned something new today. Thanks for sharing your new pick purchase with us.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking the L's might stand for the ...Labor.... required just to cheat people out of the face value of their deposits. :o>:)

• Options

@ShaunBC5 said:
    I didn’t know about the L’s, either. That’s a really neat coin.
    Do these straight grade since it was done by the government as part of the coinage cycle?
    Is it post and pre mint damage at the same time?

I will find out since I will be sending it off to our host with the article from the older newspaper explaining what it is. Hopefully our host will call it as such, but one never knows. I am optimistic, it is not like these have been found in droves.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

The TPG's should recognize and attribute these as government counterstamped, a good research article would help. The Subtreasury records have not been researched in depth, I expect to do this to satisfy my own curiosity, it will take a while as NARA is C19 closed for public research.

A pictorial census of known examples would also help, the referenced thread is a good start with an number of L gold coins. They are scarce, if not rare.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info @PerryHall ...quite fascinating. Cool find @trueblood . Let me know if you find any "H" stamped coins...you know, the coins that weigh out heavier than they should be!!

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2021 7:16AM

Here is mine, and yes I weighed it and it is struck on an underweight planchet.

There is another thread I am searching for this morning with links to the practice of assay offices or banks counterstamping these to denotate them being underweight.

Edit to add.

I sent this to PCGS a few years ago, and received a details grade, but I didnt include any backstory, so maybe with proper documentation it would straight grade?

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    micotumicotu Posts: 58 ✭✭

Is that L going all the way through to protrude on the reverse? I noted it was backwards and in a similar place.

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

How does the L affect the value?

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options

@micotu said:
    Is that L going all the way through to protrude on the reverse? I noted it was backwards and in a similar place.

Its not protruding on the reverse, they are both depressed, like it was put in a two sided punch and stamped.

@coinandcurrency242 said:
    How does the L affect the value?

In many cases a counterstamp on a coin destroys value as it is "post mint damage"
    There are however cases where counterstamped coins retain value and are sought after (think trade dollars, advertising pieces, ect.)

Here is the link to the thread I was looking for and some research into the "L" counterstamp on gold coin.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12741544

• Options
    micotumicotu Posts: 58 ✭✭

Seems like this counterstamp would be pretty easy to replicate. Would seem like it would be hard for this to be an increase in value, or people would just start adding these to their coins, no? Or i guess a recent counterstamp would me more evident than one done 100 years ago.

• Options

@micotu said:
    Seems like this counterstamp would be pretty easy to replicate. Would seem like it would be hard for this to be an increase in value, or people would just start adding these to their coins, no? Or i guess a recent counterstamp would me more evident than one done 100 years ago.

You are correct that anyone can go get an "L" counterstamp from the local hardware store and start smashing Ls in coins.

Yes a modern punch on a hundred+ year old coin is going to show a brightness in the stamp from freshly moved metal vs the original surrounding colours.

The coin I posted is actually a lightweight planchet despite having XF details, and seems to fall in line with the research of the treasury adding the mark to denotate as such, so I have no reason to suspect it was done for any other reasons.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file