Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Old Coin Cabinet Find

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

After many times almost pulling the trigger on various machinist boxes, this came up at a local auction. It ended up bringing all the money, with the underbidder throwing his bidder card to the ground.

Part of the lot were two custom boxes to house Redfield/paramount Morgans.

This cabinet was part of an estate and it contained some early gold and some raw early proof coinage, among other coins. I only won one coin (to be posted at a later time).

Regardless, quite the find and a true early Oak coin cabinet.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, congrats!

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an incredible piece!
    I'm already looking for more cabinet space for my odds and ends..😊

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is awesome

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice piece of hand-crafted wood, PM. Looking forward to seeing the coin!

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.... I have a couple (one quite similar) of those hand crafted coin cabinets....won on ebay about 20 years ago.
    I like them for storage/display, and they look good as part of the decor. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2020 5:42AM

Those appear to be a really nicely put together set of boxes/cabinet! I like it alot!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up congrats

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

It ended up bringing all the money, with the underbidder throwing his bidder card to the ground.

That's awesome.

At least that horrible feeling of loss is free.

I really, really love this cabinet. It's incredibly attractive. I always love seeing stuff like this.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super find

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is truly an amazing cabinet. Don't know what you paid, but IS IT FOR SALE ?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that's nice.

• Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:
    That is truly an amazing cabinet. Don't know what you paid, but IS IT FOR SALE ?

I’d part with the redfield/paramount boxes if anyone needs one.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you could, please advise on the outside dimensions and your asking price. ( not sure if it will fit in the safe )

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

An excellent cabinet for collecting large medals. That is probably what it was originally made to hold if not some other collectible such as cases for displays boxes of things like insects or arrowheads. It probably dates from the late 19th or early 20th century.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful! Just curious as to what the designed purpose was for the vertical storage space to the right of the drawers. Maybe some sort of journal or log book pertaining to what is in all of the drawers?

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful!

The section with the slots almost looks like it was made for a 'drawer of 20' slabs - well actually 33 ;)

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin cabinet, congrats

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Very nice - looks like terrific craftsmanship

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Very nice.

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. Nice pickup and can't wait to see your new coin!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great cabinet! Does anyone know if Paramount made or sold the other boxes, or were they truly custom made?

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Great cabinet! Does anyone know if Paramount made or sold the other boxes, or were they truly custom made?

It is not custom made as far as I know, it looks like one of the ones Paramount made for these. Holds 33 coins, no?

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful piece. Very nice box joinery construction.

• Options
    shinsakutoshinsakuto Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

Is it very hard to find antique coin cabinets in America?

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@messydesk said:

It is not custom made as far as I know, it looks like one of the ones Paramount made for these. Holds 33 coins, no?

I don't think Paramount had anything to do with making that box. It looks like a much later production. Possibly custom made more recently for some other firm retailing Redfield dollars.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool and I’d love to have one myself.
    Congratulations

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's newer than you think. But still nice.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

I've seen cabinets like the one with narrow drawers that were originally made to hold dentist tools. If large enough, they are a safe way to hold sheet music.

The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file