Home U.S. Coin Forum

Guess the CAC; New Oregon Commem Purchase. A followup poll to my GTG.

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 8, 2020 9:34AM in U.S. Coin Forum

In the last thread, you all guessed the grade of this coin. Now you will guess if it CAC's or not, and if so, what color sticker it receives.

Videos of the coin from the original post.

https://i.imgur.com/33NnMyW.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/uA8Gal1.mp4

And photos.

And the slab picture.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Guess the CAC; New Oregon Commem Purchase. A followup poll to my GTG.

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2020 12:10PM
    Passes CAC with a green sticker.

Red sticker? Never seen/ heard of them using a red one...

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted green. As a second choice, gold seems more likely than a fail. I had a hunch that the main reason you purchased the coin was to try for a gold sticker. B)

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice coin

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m pretty sure you’ll receive a green sticker.
    Again, nice addition 😊

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say green sticker.... Nice coin, but do not think it warrants gold....BWB....Cheers, RickO

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2020 1:29PM

@Kliao said:
    Red sticker? Never seen/ heard of them using a red one...

if a coin has PVC or another active/major issue, CAC will often put a red sticker with a note about the issue.

Here is an example.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2020 1:40PM

dleet

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks fine for the grade... It is in an older NGC holder and likely graded at least 25 years ago. The spread between grades really does not warrant a sticker.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exceeds CAC with a gold sticker.

Gold for your silver!

@coinkat said:
    The coin looks fine for the grade... It is in an older NGC holder and likely graded at least 25 years ago. The spread between grades really does not warrant a sticker.

But I like shiny stickers. :)

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fails CAC.

I think the 64 grade is due to the luster (which is exactly why I justified my assigning a MS64 grade in the GTG as opposed to a gem grade). This is a common issue, and with the muted luster, I can't see JA being overly excited to purchase this at 64 CAC money. I vote no sticker.

Fails CAC.

I still stick to my original guess, but looking at auction records it appears the price difference between grades is razor thin. That may make a difference.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    I think the 64 grade is due to the luster (which is exactly why I justified my assigning a MS64 grade in the GTG as opposed to a gem grade). This is a common issue, and with the muted luster, I can't see JA being overly excited to purchase this at 64 CAC money. I vote no sticker.

If CAC thinks the coin is solid for the grade, they’ll sticker it. And that’s regardless of whether they’d have any interest in buying it. They don’t make markets in such coins, anyway.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell the luster factor and that will determine the green vs gold JA opinion IMHO.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
    Fails CAC.

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

If CAC thinks the coin is solid for the grade, they’ll sticker it. And that’s regardless of whether they’d have any interest in buying it. They don’t make markets in such coins, anyway.

CAC's stated purpose was to identify coins that it would purchase in the future at established prices and to make markets for those coins even if not the most inspiring or significant pieces. My understanding is that CAC does consider market considerations above and beyond grade. In one of his interviews (I don't remember which one but it stuck out to me), JA noted that he has adjusted to criticisms from the larger market. For instance, he stated that early on CAC received some criticism for stickering thickly toned/less attractive coins that were technically solid for the grade and that CAC had reacted or adjusted to this early criticism. I hope someone else knows and can pinpoint the exact source.

@cameonut2011 said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

CAC's stated purpose was to identify coins that it would purchase in the future at established prices and to make markets for those coins even if not the most inspiring or significant pieces. My understanding is that CAC does consider market considerations above and beyond grade. In one of his interviews (I don't remember which one but it stuck out to me), JA noted that he has adjusted to criticisms from the larger market. For instance, he stated that early on CAC received some criticism for stickering thickly toned/less attractive coins that were technically solid for the grade and that CAC had reacted or adjusted to this early criticism. I hope someone else knows and can pinpoint the exact source.

The stated purpose you mentioned is a general concept. There are countless coins stickered by CAC, in which they don’t make markets. That doesn’t mean they won’t make an offer, if asked, but that has nothing to do with market-making or an interest in such coins.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

edited August 8, 2020 7:51PM
    Fails CAC.

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

The stated purpose you mentioned is a general concept. There are countless coins stickered by CAC, in which they don’t make markets. That doesn’t mean they won’t make an offer, if asked, but that has nothing to do with market-making or an interest in such coins.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but what would be the point of stickering coins like this if there is no intent to create a market in the said coins? Given overhead including the cost of graders, JA repeatedly stated that the stickering process itself actually cost more money than it brought in and that the profits came from flipping CAC's purchases, even the cheap ones, at a small margin to a dealer wholesale network. Laura confirmed that CAC did not make money from stickering for years (and at the time JA made those statements) and stated that was true until the last year or two or so. I've never seen any statements that CAC was to serve as a regulatory or philanthropic venture; it was started as a business to make money.

@cameonut2011 , I believe you're overthinking this. If JA thinks the coin is solid for grade, he will sticker it. The chances he'll ever be offered this coin directly in the future are virtually nil. And it's basically a widget anyway, which would make it easy to wholesale sight-unseen.

@cameonut2011 said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

I don't mean to be argumentative, but what would be the point of stickering coins like this if there is no intent to create a market in the said coins? Given overhead including the cost of graders, JA repeatedly stated that the stickering process itself actually cost more money than it brought in and that the profits came from flipping CAC's purchases, even the cheap ones, at a small margin to a dealer wholesale network. Laura confirmed that CAC did not make money from stickering for years (and at the time JA made those statements) and stated that was true until the last year or two or so. I've never seen any statements that CAC was to serve as a regulatory or philanthropic venture; it was started as a business to make money.

I’m sure CAC has never intended to make markets in or buy anywhere near all of the coins that they identify as solid for the grade. They’re not going to decline to sticker coins, just because they’d have no interest in buying them. They deserve far more credit than thinking they’d do that.

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

**Passes CAC with a green sticker.
    JA seems to like old holdered original coins. Green sticker coming, but if the coin looks "dipped-out aluminum -foil shiny" without original skin, as it did in the video, that's as far as you will get with this piece.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
    Fails CAC.

What did CAC do?

@cameonut2011 said:
    What did CAC do?

Unless they looked at it since yesterday, I'm guessing nothing (yet). :)

CAC is on vacation. I will send an update when I have one. :) Expect 2ish weeks. Don't worry @cameonut2011 I will tag you either way so you do not miss it.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely coin

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

I think it has a shot at gold. I'm rooting for you!

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

@Aercus said:
    I think it has a shot at gold. I'm rooting for you!

To be honest, I think it does too, but I refuse to get my hopes up.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe I was the first person to choose the option that the coin passes with a gold sticker, but I did not give a verbal response. In my experience, coins just "feel" like a green, gold or no sticker more-or-less as soon as I see them. In other words, I rarely, if ever, go over a coin and hem and haw as to what it might sticker and if it would sticker at all. It's just there or it isn't.

Granted, I am not always right, but my success rate at CAC is pretty darn high and my gold sticker rate is really, really pretty darn high and it has always been on a first pass analysis of the coin in question. In this case, of course, I don't have the coin in-hand, but the images told me what they thought. Calling a gold sticker is a tough position to be in, but it is what I saw.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@CoinJunkie said:
    I voted green. As a second choice, gold seems more likely than a fail. I had a hunch that the main reason you purchased the coin was to try for a gold sticker. B)

I missed this the first time around, but figured I would take a second here.

I paid a minor premium for the holder over going rates for the grade, I believe a hair over $150, so it was a solid deal for what it is. It was purchased to fill one of the three "commemorative" slots in my NGC Fatty Type set. :)

A gold sticker would just be icing on the cake.

CAC results are in.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

It should pass for the green.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file