Check out this PCGS box!

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here seen one of these?
(It’s not mine)

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never seen one like that.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a new one to me. Maybe a bulk submission box?

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like we might all have to switch to "a box of 25?, 30?".

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you hurry, you can buy 10 of them on Ebay for only $59!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eleven in that picture.... do they throw in a freebie?? :D;) Cheers, RickO

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

First coins, then plastic, with stickers - now boxes ! When will it ever end??

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of cool, never seen one before.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2020 10:11AM

A cardboard box.

• PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Box of 25.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's different but good

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want one!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2020 11:49AM

Are they made in America?

... and who else is checking out the coins/prices in the case?

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope all the various PCGS slabs actually fit in that cardboard box. Some of my newer PCGS slabs don't fit in the older plastic boxes.

I won't be using the cardboard boxes for storage. I would ship in them but cover the PCGS logo.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a first for me.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need one of those for my Buffalo date set- 23 coins so a single blue/black box doesn't quite hold the entire run.

Collector, occasional seller

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine these would be used for some bulk orders. They won't fit in a Regional Rate A box, although NGC slabs will fit in them.

• Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Cardboard boxes are not a good long-term storage option. They most likely contain chemicals that breakdown overtime and can definitely damage/tone coins. Not sure if a slabbed coin would be affected or not.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    I hope all the various PCGS slabs actually fit in that cardboard box. Some of my newer PCGS slabs don't fit in the older plastic boxes.

Several years ago, at a PCGS luncheon, DW explained that because of the manufacturing process every fourth box has one end slot that is a little narrower. It wasn't an issue until the newer/thicker shoebox-style slabs arrived.

Maybe juggle boxes or coin order?
    Lance.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the paper is archival quality? Otherwise maybe we'll get some nice toning out of them!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    I wonder if the paper is archival quality? Otherwise maybe we'll get some nice toning out of them!

I only saw it for a few minutes, it appeared to be normal cardboard.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

@Cameonut said:

Several years ago, at a PCGS luncheon, DW explained that because of the manufacturing process every fourth box has one end slot that is a little narrower. It wasn't an issue until the newer/thicker shoebox-style slabs arrived.

Maybe juggle boxes or coin order?
    Lance.

It was actually a die break that caused it, IIRC. I think even flipping the coins around in the slots was a viable workround.

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

this cool box showed up today. It is a shorty that holds 10 slabs. It would be great for shopping coins around at a coin show

• ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I don't like that cloth tape that PCGS uses.

• Never seen one. Cool box.

• stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Are the boxes graded?

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did the tape come off without ruining the box?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the tape on mine came off easily.

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2020 10:29PM

I will be brutally honest. I just got my first submission back I was kinda disappointed that something like this hadn't been implemented. I mean, its 2020. Any company willfully wasting plastic like that is going to fall very far out of favor in the coming years. It was nice getting a single box of 20 but never something I'd want over and over and over.

...so getting my 2nd submission today was a surprise because getting waves of plastic like that just sucks. It's placing an unnecessary garbage burden on people. We don't have the type of recycling you guys do so this just goes in the trash. Thank you for doing something about this.

If a world existed in which PCGS and XYZGS had the same services and quality, but one handed out plastic like this, I'd actively work against that company and for their competitor. And let me be clear, not just avoid the company, actively work against them and not shut up about it. I havent let Nike off the hook since 01 and still bash them on twitter.

Some stuff like that is a dealbreaker for me. I can be a really spiteful consumer. I am happy to pay more just to prop up certain companies competitors even if they suck. It is satisfying and you help people build their business and foster innovation and creativity and a healthy market. Plus you get to stand up for something you believe in, and that always feels good.

Second time I said this in two days, but, stay classy, PCGS. Thank you so much for fixing this.

• Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:

Some stuff like that is a dealbreaker for me. I can be a really spiteful consumer. I am happy to pay more just to prop up certain companies competitors even if they suck. It is satisfying and you help people build their business and foster innovation and creativity and a healthy market. Plus you get to stand up for something you believe in, and that always feels good.

It must be a generational thing, because I refuse to support any company that sucks, regardless of their environmental standards!

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:
    I will be brutally honest. I just got my first submission back I was kinda disappointed that something like this hadn't been implemented. I mean, its 2020. Any company willfully wasting plastic like that is going to fall very far out of favor in the coming years. It was nice getting a single box of 20 but never something I'd want over and over and over.

...so getting my 2nd submission today was a surprise because getting waves of plastic like that just sucks. It's placing an unnecessary garbage burden on people. We don't have the type of recycling you guys do so this just goes in the trash. Thank you for doing something about this.

If a world existed in which PCGS and XYZGS had the same services and quality, but one handed out plastic like this, I'd actively work against that company and for their competitor. And let me be clear, not just avoid the company, actively work against them and not shut up about it. I havent let Nike off the hook since 01 and still bash them on twitter.

Second time I said this in two days, but, stay classy, PCGS. Thank you so much for fixing this.

The PCGS plastic boxes can be used for all sorts of other things ...... even a small amount of creativity can keep them out of the trash.

There ya go. Next time you get a plastic one you don’t need to go into spite mode. 🍺

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

That long cardboard box seems ok but the newer recent white cardboard ones. Not a fan. I'll stick to the original plastic boxes. Speaking of which, look what I recently discovered. The older type ANACS slabs actually fit perfect! Can you pick out the ANACS?

Amazing

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are getting all worked up over a plastic box?

If that is the biggest problem you see in this world then you better look again!

GrandAm :)
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    You are getting all worked up over a plastic box?

If that is the biggest problem you see in this world then you better look again!

What about people that get worked up over metal discs?

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    That long cardboard box seems ok but the newer recent white cardboard ones. Not a fan. I'll stick to the original plastic boxes. Speaking of which, look what I recently discovered. The older type ANACS slabs actually fit perfect! Can you pick out the ANACS?

Amazing

I actually believe those are current slabs and offered concurrently with the top label ones, just for different types of orders.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 10-slab cardboard boxes rub the slabs in the mail causing scuffed plastic fronts and backs. I don’t like them for that reason and hope not to get one again.

Much prefer the older green or blue boxes. The plastic is better than the new black boxes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file