Home Precious Metals
Options

The year was 1980....will that height be seen again for silver?

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Close of 1980 was not so good, eh?

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO ... Easy.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Adjust that $49.45 in 1980 $$$ for inflation.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Adjust that $49.45 in 1980 $$$ for inflation.

Whoa, great point!!!!!!

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2020 5:56PM

Actually the all time high for silver was set on April 28, 2011 @ $49.51 per oz. I remember it well.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-silver-record-idUSTRE73R55520110428

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

Too lazy to determine the accuracy of this calculator but $154.71 in today's dollars. I'll take it. lol

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

😎

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... I think this PM roller coaster still has a way to go... so hold on, going to be fun for a while. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not this year.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2020 7:39AM

1980 high was the result of attempt to corner the supply of silver by the Hunt brothers. Their buying drove the price up. One time event. Rules put in place after the fact to prosecute them or anyone who attempts to do so in the future.

When silver breaks that record it will be for very different reasons. Reasons will be similar to what was caused 2010 high: central bank mismanagement.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2020 7:50AM

I vote higher but am bias cause I like shiney stuff...
    As @ricko said, this roller coaster is just getting going so buckle your seatbelt dorthy...

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copper mines out put effect Silver supplies in a big way as a by product of Copper mining. My crystal ball shows Silver trending higher.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i was too young to remember, my dad said he sold some silver in 1980

• Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

I purchased silver aggressively in 2011 through about $24 into 2012. Before that I had some, mostly vintage bars and rounds, a 1 kilo round my father gave me, and assorted collectible sets like when the Skins won the SB in 92. Just before it peeked, I sold everything I could find around $47, even sold any gold I could find including all jewelry.

Silver detached, we barley got to 70:1 this time.
    1980 was about 17:1
    2012 was about 35:1

Outside of playing paper silver during a run up, gold has become the best form to hold long term and preserve value.

From my perspective, silver was best to stack when it was available to buy physical, pre-covid, at close to $18 and under.

I do not see how silver will cover the current premiums to make it worth stacking right now or any time in the near future.

• Options
    HarlequinHarlequin Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    Actually the all time high for silver was set on April 28, 2011 @ $49.51 per oz. I remember it well.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-silver-record-idUSTRE73R55520110428

I remember it also, I made a nice profit on my 150 ASE purchased at $16 an oz!

🇺🇸 Harlequin Numismatic
    harlequinnumismatic@gmail.com

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    1980 high was the result of attempt to corner the supply of silver by the Hunt brothers. Their buying drove the price up. One time event. Rules put in place after the fact to prosecute them or anyone who attempts to do so in the future.

When silver breaks that record it will be for very different reasons. Reasons will be similar to what was caused 2010 high: central bank mismanagement.

And what was the 2010 high price?

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

$30.98. High in 2011 was 49.82.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a friend who didn't like coin dealers. WGY coin offered him $54 per coin for a 2 ounce "one hundred greatest masterpieces by Franklin Mint, back in 1980. He said; Pooh to that offer. He sucked on those 100 two ounce coins until about 2011 or so. He got offered $54 per coin again by a dealer. He jumped on it. He felt good about his deal.

LOST ........Opportunity Cost for 31 years????????? Off the hook, lest you could graph it for me. The End

• Options

@derryb said:

2011 was an attempt by JPM to artificially inflate the silver market just like the Hunts did in 1980. It remains to be seen how high those that are manipulating this go round can make it go. Hopefully they can get it to 1980/2011 levels before the collapse. Without manipulators silver is a $5-$15/oz gutter metal.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d buy all the silver you have for your $10/oz. gutter metal average price. Offer good for the next 24 hours. Let me know!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    I’d buy all the silver you have for your $10/oz. gutter metal average price. Offer good for the next 24 hours. Let me know!

Thanks for the offer but the plan is to sell it into the current pump.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Too lazy to determine the accuracy of this calculator but $154.71 in today's dollars. I'll take it. lol

Some people are already paying $100 for pf70 in special plastic. They are already paying 40 for raw libertad, maple. $50 ms70 cutesy plastic. Aus, UK, Canadian commems are all super hot. SP70 silver krugs are just breathtaking profits.

Anyway, if its gonna tank, I hope it does so I can't imagine my excitement for these metals lapsing at all during this pandemic. What's happening right now is literally the stuff Hollywood makes horror movies about. It's the stuff you were warned about in history class as a kid. It's the stuff people use as examples when teaching you hygiene and public health awareness.

As gold gets higher, people who delayed buying it (and are now running out of resources) wont be able to get in on gold will buy silver. Sure it's not gold, but it can be transported easy, has recognizable US symbols, and who would turn it down in a trade?

Meanwhile, in Turkey:

https://www.helleniscope.com/2020/08/16/in-turkey-locals-sell-their-cars-and-houses-to-buy-gold-while-lira-implodes/

• Options

Exactly I plan to exit the gutter just south of $154.71, not interested in $10 except maybe paper silver buy back in price. Good luck!

• Options

@blitzdude said:

At least legos have held value.

• Options

@cohodk said:

more likely the currency they are priced in has lost value

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:

@blitzdude said:

Some people are already paying $100 for pf70 in special plastic. They are already paying 40 for raw libertad, maple. $50 ms70 cutesy plastic. Aus, UK, Canadian commems are all super hot. SP70 silver krugs are just breathtaking profits.

>

Sounds like a bunch of bagholder "collector/investors" burying themselves in overpriced common crap for another generation.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

$30.98. High in 2011 was 49.82.

Thank you!

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Outperformed silver.

• Options

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Outperformed silver.

maybe yours, but not mine.

• Options
    edited August 16, 2020 6:59PM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Outperformed silver.

maybe yours, but not mine.

Well, because you are God and all your silver has a zero cost basis.

Since 1980, which is the refrrence of this thread, legos have held value better than silver. Keep on topic derryb.

• Options

You stack the legos, I'll stick with the silver. LOL

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

Since 1980, which is the refrrence of this thread, legos have held value better than silver. Keep on topic derryb.

Actually, no. The retail price of Legos has held - which is a reflection of the price set by the company and margin of the retailer. You would need to do an analysis of Legos in the secondary market to determine how well they held their value.

• Options

Well, actually, the chart i posted above shows one would need 10c to buy a lego in 1980--same as today.

Yet, it cost $40 to buy an ounce of silver in 1980 vs $27 today.

However, if you wish to peruse Ebay you will see that many lego sets have appreciated considerably since 1980 while silver has depreciated. I was trying to be kind and not expose this fact, but since you brought it up.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

pawn shops buy and sell legos by the pound

• Options

All that shows is Lego's parent company has no pricing power - and lowered their cost of production.

Why you are perusing eBay look for those silver items that have appreciated considerably since 1980 - I sold a 2 oz bar for $350...

• Options

@taxmad said:
    All that shows is Lego's parent company has no pricing power - and lowered their cost of production.

What it shows is that it takes fewer dollars today to buy silver than in 1980. While same cant be said about legos

BTW---i bought a nickel for a buck and sold it on Ebay for $20. I bested your return and only took me a week. So there. Lol

• Options

@cohodk said:

@taxmad said:

What it shows is that it takes fewer dollars today to buy silver than in 1980. While same cant be said about legos

BTW---i bought a nickel for a buck and sold it on Ebay for $20. I bested your return and only took me a week. So there. Lol

Well - in 2013 anyway.... and as I said, I could get more for my 'used' silver than I could for my used legos...

• Options
    isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

Coca Cola 1oz silver rounds and bars have actively sold (been collected) and $40 each and higher when silver was stagnant at $15. Many "collector" silver widgets trade at large premiums.

As far as LEGOs go. Let's put real numbers together. Let's go with 1964 and older generic US coinage. The majority of Lego's are circulated. The majority off collectors will not purchase old used Lego's for a premium, just the few well preserved sets that people stored away. On fleaBay collectors pay heavy premiums for uncirculated pre- '65 US coins on top of small premiums for all others regardless of wear. All silver has maintained stored value. Legos do not, but can be stored none the less.

• Options

@derryb said:

Legos? Did someone say Legos?

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

Legos? Did someone say Legos?

I wanted one of those but, DANG the premium my G&S store wanted was nuts.

In my real world experience, silver hands down over legos.