Home Sports Talk
Options

Would you opt out?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were a player in the NFL would you opt out of the 2020 season, or play? That is, assuming there will be a season.

Comments

• Options

The deadline to opt out is Thursday, August 6th at 4 p.m.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way, unless my Wife or kid had a compromised immune system I’m playing

• Options
    edited August 4, 2020 6:05AM

I'm playing. I'm interested in seeing what the final count on Thursday will be. I want to see what we have to work with this season as far as the major stars go. That is, assuming the season doesn't get cancelled.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vikings new nose tackle opted out. He has asthma. In his case I would.

Covid death rate for healthy people under 35 yrs old is 0%, so unless you have health problems, let's play!

Not sure on the family having problems though, perhaps the player could avoid them for the season. Not the best option, but they can afford it. I guess that's each players personal choice.

I have a good friend who has had a kidney transplant. He called his employer with his health concerns, stating he had a compromised immune system and was immediately fired over the phone.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai I’m not big “Sue them” type of guy but I sincerely hope your friend destroys them

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

if i played for the Bears i'd opt out

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Play.

if I was on the Eagles, i'd play for free...well not really, but i'd make the gesture knowing the Eagles wouldn't accept it.

• Options

It really doesn't matter if any Panthers opt out, we'll still suck. Christian McCaffrey will be good, but we'll still miss the playoffs. I'll spend the entire season the same way I always do, sniffing glue and hallucinating to escape the pain of losing.

Watch out, it's coming right at us!

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2020 9:49AM

@stevek said:
    Play.

if I was on the Eagles, i'd play for free...well not really, but i'd make the gesture knowing the Eagles wouldn't accept it.

gestures now?

did you see that gesture last week or whatever? NFL top 100 seems to be missing a certain spotty eagles QB :D

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    @JoeBanzai I’m not big “Sue them” type of guy but I sincerely hope your friend destroys them

Yeah, those guys need be dragged through the mud.

• Options

Yes he is looking to sue. He had a Doctor's letter prepared before he called them saying he was immuno challenged. They did not care

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

Yeah, those guys need be dragged through the mud.

As one getting sued over trivial BS to try to get insurance money, I'm not a fan of the frivolous. However, I hope this person wins the company.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Yes he is looking to sue. He had a Doctor's letter prepared before he called them saying he was immuno challenged. They did not care

he should have recorded the call

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

In sports, when you give a year of your young life, you have given up a year of your career. This is especially true of football where careers are short. I would need overwhelming evidence to convince me to opt out.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@bronco2078 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

he should have recorded the call

That would have been a good idea.

This was at the early peak of covid hysteria, who would figure they were going to fire him?

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

To some degree I think it would depend on your financial situation and status on the team. Are you a young player just trying to get a foothold in the NFL? Then I'd guess you would probably stay. if you're already pretty secure then it would be a lot easier to sit out.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think they should be opting out for any reason.