Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hypothetical, These 2 coins grade the same and are priced the same. Which would you choose?

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin 1

Coin 2

Hypothetical, These 2 coins grade the same and are priced the same. Which would you choose?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

Something about coin 1 says light dip and retoning to me.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin 1 has more visual interest to me.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020 11:33AM

2 for me, there are a couple things about 1 that I don't like.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

@TPRC said:

@bombtech25 said:
    Something about coin 1 says light dip and retoning to me.

That's funny, because I had the exact same reaction to coin 2.

I speculate both suffer from the same ailment but I guess one stands out more than the other to us.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted coin one as the piece to keep or buy.

Obviously, the images were taken with wildly different photography set ups and, in this case, I believe the differences between the two coins are likely exaggerated in the images. Coin one may or may not have original surfaces, but coin two has absolutely, positively been dipped. If one likes booming luster and flash in their AU Barber halves then coin two is the coin most likely to please, but if a coin with less in-your-face-recent-surgery is what you prefer then coin one would be the choice.

In my opinion, most collectors would choose coin two.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020 11:54AM

I would stick with coin number 1.
    Nice toning.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plot twist it’s the before and after of the same coin. :D
    (Kidding)

I’m neutral on both but would lean towards number 2.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went with 2 simply because of the luster picked up in the photo. So, I like the second photo but completely unsure about the coins.

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

What TomB said.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

No real preference. I could be very happy with either coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the overall look of coin 1 better, but would want to see it in hand (especially the reverse).

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan of either, so whichever one would be easier to sell. :o

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

The toning on coin 1 is barely noticeable.

Coin 2 has better luster and sharper details.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

From the photos alone, I would pick the coin shown in photo number two for my collection due to its apparent luster. Might be the camera angle or lighting, but the coin in photo number one looks washed out with less remaining luster.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would need to see them in hand. For this reason, I will not select a preference in your poll. There is possibly something in how they were photographed that may favor one over the other

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the second coin. Sorta looks better to me. Jmo

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020 3:14PM

Coin 1 has more distracting hits to me and also a carbon spot that really bothers me. I can't stand carbon spots...or finger prints or big hits (especially in prominent areas) etc etc.

Coin 2 for me.

Edit to Add for those selecting 1: Coins can re-tone but it is much more difficult to fix hatchet marks or bullet hole carbon spots. ;)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    edited August 2, 2020 2:26PM

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like coin 2 with no distracting toning

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin 1 is interesting. However, I believe I would be happier myself with Coin 2.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like number 2. That gouge under the chin on coin 1 jumped out at me at first glance. I like the color on 1, but that gouge just keeps distracting me.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Bush's inference about more collectors liking 2 is right. I like 1 better. But need a bean on either to like enough to buy ;-)

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dislike #1 the least.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which one, if any, has a CAC sticker? >:)o:) From a resale position, that’s probably the better bet.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked coin 1..........then pushed the button on coin 2 by mistake. So the official vote got skewed by 1.

I know coin 2 is messed with and owned many such messed with Barber and seated coins looking like that in my early years. They bring back bad memories. Coin 1 at least has the potential to be un-messed with....or messed with least.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't like the gouge under #1's chin. So 2 for me.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

The strike seems sharper on #2, especially the stars on the obverse.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not like the rim issues, carbon spot or obverse hit on number 1....or what looks like yellow crud around the date and stars. So, if I were buying pictures, it would be number 2 for me. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy, coin 2, no toning... Coin 2 look sharper anyway but any toning is a killer.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2020 8:25AM

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going with coin number 2 - I agree with TomB's assessment, the 2nd coin is certainly beautiful but the obverse pooling breaks in the toning at 10am says it's been dipped at some point. The first appears more original skin to my eyes.

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin 1 all day long

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are things I like better about number 2. It has better strike detail by far. That said, number 1 would be my preference, but I don't love either one. 1 doesn't look lustrous enough and 2 has surfaces that turn me off.

• Options
    edited August 3, 2020 5:03PM

I've bit my tongue long enough! :#

I'm surprised by some of the comments here!

You can choose a glorified AU55 that may or may not have nice secondary toning(coin #1).

or

You can choose a coin which is a 64-65 quality coin with a touch of rub(coin #2). No one can capture Morgan Dollar PL luster in a picture.

I would also say that those buying from pictures would be disappointed with coin #1(most likely much darker in hand) and ecstatic with coin #2.

For those talking about dipping...show me silver coin at this grade level other than a Morgan Dollar of this era that hasn't been dipped at some time. More than 90% have been dipped at some time.

I think I know who took the picture of coin #1 and I would welcome his comments here!

I will say there is enough in the picture of coin #1 that I personally would never accept it as more than a 55.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut
    ... What I really want is option 3, where I can wait and choose a different coin altogether.

For an 1892-P, I wouldn’t consider either for adding to my collection. Apologies in advance for my candor.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2020 6:01PM

@amwldcoin said:

You can choose a coin which is a 64-65 quality coin with a touch of rub(coin #2). No one can capture Morgan Dollar PL luster in a picture.

Way too much chatter on the cheek and obverse fields to grade ≥64, dipped 55 if the images are accurate. IMHO......

For those talking about dipping...show me silver coin at this grade level other than a Morgan Dollar of this era that hasn't been dipped at some time. More than 90% have been dipped at some time.

Undipped at these grades? Maybe these?

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the luster I see in the fields on coin #2, so I'd probably lean toward that one. Coin #1 looks interesting with the color, but I don't have a feel for the luster.

• Options
    edited August 4, 2020 6:57PM

Do you honestly think after over 100 years those coins haven't been dipped? You are a scientist and surely know the odds are well against that!

Edit to add...My pictures amplify marks. I recently tried to cross an older ANACS 62 holdered Barber Half that had obvious rub and chatter on the cheek 2 times with AU58+ as the option. They wouldn't do it and it was not near as clean as this coin. It did have outstanding color though and when submitted raw came back a 63.

@spacehayduke said:

@amwldcoin said:

Way too much chatter on the cheek and obverse fields to grade ≥64, dipped 55 if the images are accurate. IMHO......

• Options

This is what an undipped AU Barber Half looks like. Sorry for the scratches on the holder.

@spacehayduke said:

@amwldcoin said:

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

You can choose a glorified AU55 that may or may not have nice secondary toning(coin #1).

or

I would also say that those buying from pictures would be disappointed with coin #1(most likely much darker in hand) and ecstatic with coin #2.

I think I know who took the picture of coin #1 and I would welcome his comments here!

I will say there is enough in the picture of coin #1 that I personally would never accept it as more than a 55.

@amwldcoin-

Thank you for responding. After all of the Pro-coin #1 comments (some from forum experts), I was starting to wonder if I was missing something.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1915-D shared by @spacehayduke is all original. I sold the coin to him and it has real luster underneath a sheen of patina and dirt with minimal wear. We can argue about what happened to that coin every second of its existence just the same as we can argue about how many fairies can dance on the end of a pin, but I will tell you that if any AU Barber half dollars escaped dipping then that coin would be in that fortunate subset. That coin is original.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin

We all have our opinions, but only a comparison with same photo technique for each coin provides any meaningful information. What did you expect with a poor photo of a nice coin?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2020 8:49PM

@Catbert said:
    Coin 1 has more visual interest to me.

I agree it has more visual interest, but it's too interesting to me. The color pattern on the reverse looks odd.

I'm for coin 2.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2020 8:57PM

1 for me, but honestly, I’m not a fan of either coin. Neither looks natural to me.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Tom, It is acceptable as an original coin. I have always been a firm believer the vast majority of silver coins that were not stored in rolls that are light-medium grey have been dipped at some time, 99+% of any coin that has any wear and is a century or more old! Think about silverware. Even with those fancy cases with some type of cloth bags that were suppose to help reduce tarnish didn't stop it. That is the nature of silver.

I'm sure this has costs me sales. If someone asks me if a light grey circulated silver coin has been cleaned my usually reply is it has probably been dipped at some time but is acceptable and gradable.

@TomB said:
    The 1915-D shared by @spacehayduke is all original. I sold the coin to him and it has real luster underneath a sheen of patina and dirt with minimal wear. We can argue about what happened to that coin every second of its existence just the same as we can argue about how many fairies can dance on the end of a pin, but I will tell you that if any AU Barber half dollars escaped dipping then that coin would be in that fortunate subset. That coin is original.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file