Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fair price for “junk” Barber coinage

What’s a fair price for “junk” Barbers? I’m able to pick through so conditions are mostly good. On occasion I something a little better.

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dimes, Quarters or Halves?

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 12:02PM

@Randoms said:
    What’s a fair price for “junk” Barbers? I’m able to pick through so conditions are mostly good. On occasion I something a little better.

If they are good, they aren't "junk". If they are truly "junk", they are 90%

If they are full good, 20x face, maybe a little more for dimes and quarters. Halves are more.

• Options
    RandomsRandoms Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

I suppose I paid about 24x face for this general quality. Full dates, readable. They should look nice enough in a folder. That’s an 1899o with some nice scratches on the back.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 3:02PM

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW I bought some junk Barber dimes on eBay for a project and a of them have been cleaned over the years.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a small example of some of the "junk" silver half dollars that I picked up at my LCS a few months ago. As you can see, some of the Barbers are in pretty good shape. I paid the same price for these as I would for a Benjie a Walker or a 64 Kennedy. Of course when I can get a "junk" Barber that's in good shape, I will always snag those first. I also have a nice pile of "junk" Barber quarters and dimes. The dimes are usually extremely thin. However, I have not been to my LCS in months due to the pandemic.

• Options
    rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

When I look at my Greysheet, I see every single G4 Barber (10,25,50) listed with a dealer price over silver. For instance, the lowest price on a G4 Barber half was $12 (24x). I've sold common Walkers at junk prices, but I would expect more were I selling a worn Barber.

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver is Silver!!

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Silver is Silver!!

Yup I often buy them at spot....then wonder why once I realize how much silver is missing from them.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@Jimnight said:
    Silver is Silver!!

Yup I often buy them at spot....then wonder why once I realize how much silver is missing from them.

I have read various analyses that indicate an average of 5% loss for a cull from fresh strike.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I offer them bv

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love dem junkies! Can't beat the price,as well as, the fun picking through it. Just another pleasurable aspect in coin collecting. No hobby is better! :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

'Junk' Barbers can make an interesting collection....I have found there is a fascination with old coins among non-collectors. Of course they think such old coins must be worth a fortune... usually disappointed to hear otherwise. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

With silver as high as it is I would say they are presently just bullion buy items unless they are key or semi-key dates.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve always been able to sell them at a small premium over X times face. It’s a good thing, because the worn slicks are often significantly underweight.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file