Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1916 matte proof Lincoln cent on eBay, would you bid on it?

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you bid on this 1916 matte proof Lincoln cent being offered on eBay now? over 40 bids on at 203.50 dollars now.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

The wheat stalks seem a bit mushy of a strike for a PR...

IMHO... for this particular issue... no holder... no way!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't really look Proofy to me. Nice strike, but rim is not sharp and squared.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

Without a PCGS holder I wouldn't touch it

• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

[ ] Coin is graded
    [ ] Seller has more than 0 feedback
    [x] Looks like it was found in the reject slot of a coinstar

You be the judge

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

His 1888 Proof Morgan is also not a proof. Reported.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd buy it is a proof. For 50c cents.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about the 1914 cent?

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 12:45PM

@privatecoin said:
    How about the 1914 cent?

Not even close. Everyone - you really have to buy the book, study the diagnostics and get away from the idea MPL just need "wide rims" to be a proof. Those rims do need to be wide, but the need to be square and full all the way around and have sharpe edges on both the inside and outside edge, etc.

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport said:

@privatecoin said:
    How about the 1914 cent?

Not even close. Everyone - you really have to buy the book, study the diagnostics and get away from the idea MPL just need "wide rims" to be a proof. Those rims do need to be wide, but the need to be square and full all the way around and have shape edges on both the inside and outside edge, etc.

Thats what I thought on it. But I certainly don't mind confirming my theories with the experts.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

Looks like a business strike that has been whizzed.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

California special on one of those "proof" 1886 Morgans...

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin of that alleged quality should be in a TPG holder to be taken seriously.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO ... it's not a proof for the reasons mentioned above.

• Options

1916 now has 45 bidders and at $225.00

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. The only raw coins I buy are those that are more often not worth the trouble or expense to have graded; i.e.. are of low value. Even then I first try to find a graded example. If I made a living at this, it might be different.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2020 6:06PM

@BUFFNIXX said:

Hopefully the auction can be stopped.

If not, someone is going to be paying, and someone else is going to be earning tuition.

Compare the rims on this proof.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

No it's not for me. Pass

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Note the dings on "R" of Liberty,"E" of One, and "C" of Cent.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 4:19AM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

That’s sort of a moot point, considering that the coin isn’t a Proof and therefore of very low value, with or without the “dings”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put a mask on Lincoln and stop trying to save people from themselves.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

40 shill bids. Impressive.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fields are significantly different than the authentic version shown above... this is a 'manufactured' piece.... Flaky bid history as well...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mothra454mothra454 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@BUFFNIXX said:

Hopefully the auction can be stopped.

If not, someone is going to be paying, and someone else is going to be earning tuition.

Compare the rims on this proof.

>

Now those are some rims! Thanks for pointing out these details to us newbies (or renewbies) trying to figure out how you guys can spot such things.

Successful BST transactions with: Cameonut, Rob41281

• Options
    edited July 30, 2020 6:26PM

@MFeld said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

That’s sort of a moot point, considering that the coin isn’t a Proof and therefore of very low value, with or without the “dings”.

Regardless proof or not the dings do cause a lessening of value in determining it's final grade/selling price.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 8:43PM

If anyone posting on this thread thinks this might just be a proof they should just post an atomic bid (perhaps $500?) and then pay submission fee to see if they just won the lottery........

And please share the results.

OINK

• Options

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    If anyone posting on this thread thinks this might just be a proof they should just post an atomic bid (perhaps $500?) and then pay submission fee to see if they just won the lottery........

And please share the results.

OINK

Look like all here do vote non-proof.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will also vote "Not a proof." Rims are all wrong.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2020 5:45AM

Its more than about rims. Each of the Matte Proofs have specific diagnostics that are used to ID the coin. It's not just the rims. Thats why I can not emphasis enough the need to have a resource book handy like Kevin Flynns Lincoln Cent Matte Proofs or Carl B Waltz Jr.A Study of Matte Proof Lincoln Cents 1909-1916. Do your usual book searches and you should find them.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

If the rims ain't right it ain't a proof, regardless of any die markers.

• Options

The edge is another characteristic of a proof. Proofs will show a mirrored edge that is consistent in thickness and not beveled as in a circulation strike.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mushy area at the bottom of the reverse says no.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Here is the reverse of the 1909vdb matte proof shown in above combo auction with the 1916 so-called matte proof
    and a picture of one of the free proof coins included with the big two. Some one is getting skinned and flogged at the
    same time here. I guess this must be what you would call a reverse cherrypick where the buyer picks you (your pocket that is) rather than you picking them! And to think this package “deal" sold for only a bit above 2900 dollars
    Pictures shown below........

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

Cannot imagine why the seller did not include common date nice proof wheat cents rather than stuff like this?

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2020 9:36AM

The 1936 proof penny would probably grade PR20 environmental damage.
    Thats of course if you could identify some die marker or markers to prove it was a proof die.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess it is about time I open myself up for rebuke . . . . .

There are times I wonder about the hobby, humanity, and where we will all end up in time . . .

So . . . . we have here a 1916 (cleaned) in MS63-4, a spotted, ultracommon 1909-VDB, and some damaged, cleaned, buffed (I haven't been able to see the date unless I actually give effort) 'proofs' (or common damaged bag-Lincs that may or may not make it through CoinStar) . . . .

And, someone sold this $47.00 (I am being ULTRA-generous) lot for what amount ??????????

Am I missing something? Am I too old? Do I have a wrong impression of the numismatic hobby???

Drunner

• Options

What kind of people are bidding on this stuff? Certainly the uninformed but just the sheer number of bids is amazing.

• Options

here is the obverse of the 1909vdb so-called matte proof cent in the above deal

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

along with the reverse again

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

closed high with a 10k+ feedback buyer,. I still wonder if they even have it.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020 9:18PM

@davewesen said:
    closed high with a 10k+ feedback buyer,. I still wonder if they even have it.

Closed at $770.

Pretty active buyer. 1146 bids in the last 30 days with only 2% with this seller.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file